These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Santa
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 am

I'm looking forward to this but not without hesitation. Pitch Black was a great little film but its prequel was abominable. Vin Diesel showed great potential but often seems to have been carried away by his public persona (people who refer to themselves in the third person get on my tits). Sounds like Riddick has gone back to some much needed basics.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Would you recomend it to me as someone who hasn't seen the previous 2 films, Harms?
I don't know. I saw it with newcomers to the series, and they enjoyed the film, but were confused by certain sections. The film takes viewer familiarity with the character and his backstory for granted.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 am

Harmsway wrote:
RIDDICK (2013, dir. David Twohy)

Third time's the charm for this franchise. RIDDICK is far and away the best of the Riddick features, though, given the disappointing box office, it seems it's sadly too late to muster audience interest.

Diesel, who has more invested in this franchise than anyone, settles into the steely-eyed role with ease, and succeeds in carrying the film's almost dialogue-free opening thirty minutes. Twohy's direction is measured and consistent, with surprising panache (when RIDDICK is at its best, it's as though the paintings of Frank Frazetta came to life).
Based on the few reviews that I have read, it appears to be a poor rehash of the original movie, only with an inferior supporting cast.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 am

Gettysburg

monumental movie in scope, monumental in moustache's and beards though not perhaps the best movie ever made it has a fair few moments. Certainly many familiar faces from Tom Berenger and Martin Sheen right on down to Max Caulfield and George Lazenby.
Viewing is often affected for me in Richard Jordan's last performance. He died just before the premiere twenty years ago last week and one can't help but wonder if he was aware of it being his last, I dare imagine so. Regardless of this Jordan's is one of the better performances here chiefly at the end during Pickett's Charge ("Who's with me!?") on to his final lines as he lies wounded ("Not both of us...not all of us").
Notable is Stephen Lang who some say took on Jordan's baton afterwards, some. Berenger and even Martin Sheen. An unexpectedly stirring moment is Lee's ride up through cheering troops prior to the final battle.
The soundtrack has its moments (notably "Armistead is Hit").
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:32 am

Salomé wrote:
Based on the few reviews that I have read, it appears to be a poor rehash of the original movie, only with an inferior supporting cast.
PITCH BLACK, while a mildly enjoyable low-budget B-movie with a solid premise, is nothing particularly excellent, and the performances are not its greatest asset (even Diesel isn't particularly great in that first film). The cast of RIDDICK seems to me to be stronger than the cast of PITCH BLACK; they're not great actors, mind you, but they have personality and dig into their parts with gusto, which is about all a B-movie like RIDDICK needs.

The claims of a rehash also don't seem right to me. RIDDICK definitely nods back at the premise of PITCH BLACK, but it spends most of its time doing something different. It starts as CAST AWAY as seen through the lens of Thor paperback covers and segues into a space Western.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:16 am

Harmsway wrote:
RIDDICK (2013, dir. David Twohy)

Third time's the charm for this franchise. RIDDICK is far and away the best of the Riddick features, though, given the disappointing box office, it seems it's sadly too late to muster audience interest.

Diesel, who has more invested in this franchise than anyone, settles into the steely-eyed role with ease, and succeeds in carrying the film's almost dialogue-free opening thirty minutes. Twohy's direction is measured and consistent, with surprising panache (when RIDDICK is at its best, it's as though the paintings of Frank Frazetta came to life).
Excellenty put, saw it tonight and I found it a great scifi/action/horror movie of the kind they seem not make enough of.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Trying to watch L.A. TAKEDOWN.

I love HEAT, but this TV version strikes me as a powerful example of what really good actors can do with a lot of the same material. Of course, the film cast was also helped by a budget, but if you want to see this material handled by mediorce actors it's an eye opener.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 am

Went the Day Well?

one of the Ealing at 80 DVD's and a rollicking film at that. Bunch of troops turn up in a sleepy village but watch out, they're Jerry paratroopers waiting for the invasion. Dated to a point it's besides the point. For a film of its day, Ealing at that, it has some violent moments (well, for 1942). Still, like the Pimlicans later, the Scots with their whiskey and so on the villagers of Bamley are downright plucky. From the postmistress who takes an axe to a Jerry (before being bludgeoned by another), the two land girls who pull their weight and blast for accuracy and distance, the villagers who don't question and get on to the full bodied upper class landlady at her manor who sacrifices herself with a Jerry grenade rather than let the kids take it.
The Germans are undeniable evil. They rough kids up, they threaten to shoot kids (and in one case, do), they shoot the vicar and slap girls about, and they get caught out by dashing the numeral 7, leaving their 'chokalade' lying about and so forth.
The British are stiff-uppers, jolly, fairplaying chaps (until the battle starts), take delight in wopping the Boche and so on...

Not bad for an Ealing.

Went the day well? We died and never knew. But, well or ill, Freedom, we died for you.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:56 am

It was written by Graham Greene, Hilly.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
It was written by Graham Greene, Hilly.
That it was. Think at uni when we did historical films nonsense I read it was a suggestion of his or a story told and Calvacanti took it on from there. But that was a few years ago now.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 am

Quite a few writers got drafted into the British propaganda effort - my uncle Eric was another.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:22 am

I think I missed my calling.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:54 am

Yes, I remember being quite stunned by the axe scene in Went the Day Well? Essential Ealing, though not what you'd expect from them. Cavalcanti sure knew how to make a hard-nosed film - They Made Me a Fugitive is even tougher. Anybody know what else of his work is worthwhile?
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:30 am

Whisky Galore

true delight, quaint in its Scottish setting and a hoot in its eccentricity. The star is unquestionably Basil Radford. Set upon, trying to play the game but failing miserably.

Back to top Go down
Agent007391
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 am

Is this in theaters or just plain watched? Last movie I watched in theaters was Iron Man 3. The last movie I just plain watched was An Eye for an Eye.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 am

Just plain watched, in cinemas or anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:29 am

Wish I'd seen Whisky Galore in the cinema.

1948 was a good year.
Back to top Go down
Agent007391
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 am

Decided to get some Connery on, watched Thunderball last night and I'm watching The Rock right now.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:12 am

BROKEN ARROW (1996, dir. John Woo)

One of the worst films I've seen in a long, long time. No wit, no charm, no brains - just cliche after cliche, and this is coming from someone who likes FACE-OFF. BTW, who told Samantha Mathis she could act?
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am

The Ipcress File

shown as part of the Sounds of Cinema thingy, the music here sometimes reminds me of Blofeld's drug therapy music on OHMSS but it's vintage Barry. Like in the Quiller Memorandum Barry's music sets the scene and mood perfectly.
As for the film it's utterly fantastic, locations, action, acting and camera work in particular. Favourite moments tend to involve Palmer being cheeky or the supermarket scene. The best or top moment might well be Palmer's escape, the music builds and then, not Soviet Europe but...red London buses.

Now, if only Nigel Green had been in a Bond film.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 am

Great score, but personally I find the film tedious and the direction irritatingly self-conscious and arch. The film moves at a snails pace, and every other shot seems to gloat at the viewer 'aren't I clever?' 'isn't this so much more sophisticated than lowbrow trash like Bond?' Too many unnecessary dutch angles and obscured shots for my taste (a particularly grating one being a rack focus zoom through a hi-hat in the brass band).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 am

I like BROKEN ARROW.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:16 am

Why?

I might have liked it if there was 80% more Kurtwood Smith.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:56 am

I've been busy at the Toronto International Film Festival, catching four films including two world premieres. The only Hollywood one of the lot was Richard Shepherd's Dom Hemingway, starring Jude Law as a foul mouthed safecracker free after 12 years in prison. I had a blast watching this - this is easily Law's best role to date. He's worked well in ensemble casts, but rarely as a leading man. Here, he is in nearly every frame of the movie and chews more scenery than in all his previous filmography combined. Richard E. Grant (where has he been last decade or so??) is great as Dom's one-handed sidekick and the other cast members include Demian Bichir as a Russian gangster and Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) as Dom's daughter.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 3 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:05 am

Star Trek Into Darkness - 7/10. Okay, but enjoyed the previous one more.

World War Z...put this on in an electronics store to test out a 84' HD tv that will look super in our tv room...the scene with the Israeli airliner and zombies being sucked out into open airspace after the grenade blows a hole in the side. 7/10.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: