More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9

Go down 
+35
Makeshift Python
Hilly
Campbell4
Salomé
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
bitchcraft
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Gravity's Silhouette
boldfinger
Carruthers
Xenia93
Vesper
Moore
Ravenstone
Prisoner Monkeys
General Yuskovich
dr. strangelove
CJB
Tubes
trevanian
Control
GeneralGogol
Agent007391
The White Tuxedo
saint mark
Murdock
retrokitty
HJackson
Fairbairn-Sykes
Santa
Loomis
Harmsway
lachesis
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Of course, one might make a similar argument for the disappearance of the traditional leading man. No Lee Marvins or Cary Grants left as far as I can see. Lots of weedy schoolboys though.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 pm

The Long Arm

police docudrama type. Jack Hawkins' DI aiming to get a safe-cracker who just happens to be leaving a trail of death and injury in his wake (amongst them Ian Bannen, oh for more of him in this film). Film is littered with well known faces (Sam Kydd must've done every film in the 1950s) and a few who Charles Frend (Hawkins obviously) used previous for The Cruel Sea.
One of those films that now is good for London as it used to be, at least in terms of buildings. Wasn't as black and white, if you forgive the phrase, back in 1956 as the film makes out but what a time.
And long before TJ Hooker, Hawkins' pattented the use of stupidly leaping onto a car bonnet to stop uber-bitch Ursula Howells from getting away. Clinging like a bat he eventually, and stupidly some might say, uses his baton to smash the windshield which not only stops the woman but has the effect of flinging Hawkins to the ground, hard.

Still, the Met got a bit dirty back then.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Cold In July - tough-edged thriller starring Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard and Don Johnson that still manages some humorous touches (mostly thanks to Johnson's 'good ole boy' private investigator). Hall shoots and kills an intruder at his home in what appears to be an open-and-shut self-defence case, but if things were that straightforward this wouldn't be an 105-minute movie.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 am

VACATION (2015)

A shitstain compared to Christmas Vacation, an all-time, top-five Christmas movie, and the original.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 3:55 am

Jurassic World.

Was getting bored as shit and can't believe this rubbish made so much money.

Like a Raptor would really bond with you roll eyes
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 10:07 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Jurassic World.

Was getting bored as shit and can't believe this rubbish made so much money.

Like a Raptor would really bond with you roll eyes

Shameless money grab and a way to see if the audience would accept Pratt as a potential future Indiana Jones?
Because that is almost certainly going to happen now. ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Part of what makes Ford an interesting throwback is that he knows acting is fundamentally absurd and unmanly. He makes a good living from it, but he'd rather fly his plane, make a table or hide from his insatiable wife.

On that note, I recently stumbled upon this little tidbit from a talk show.

I wonder if there is an actor working today who would leave such a lasting emotional impression on a peer four decades later.
Back to top Go down
SarahN
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
SarahN

Location : For it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Point Break - a surfer/undercover-cop flick that I remembered much better than it actually was. After watching it again today I don't get what the fuss was about. The best part are easily the two skydive sequences. And the Nixon gag. Honourable mention goes to Gary Busey. I think Bigelow would shoot this one quite differently today. Is it true this is supposed to see a remake in the near future?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Salomé wrote:
I wonder if there is an actor working today who would leave such a lasting emotional impression on a peer four decades later.

Or have a pub named after them three decades after their death. A very British way of commemorating a local.

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 94246510

Robert Shaw packed a huge amount into his short life. Renaissance man is an overused phrase, but in the 1960s he had a large output as a writer as well as an actor. And how many kids did he father? I seem to recall it was 10 or so. He made a lot of bad films to pay for them, but always put in a good performance. There were tragic aspects to his life such as the drinking and suicide of his wife Mary Ure, which probably contributed to his early demise, but he remains one of the few actors I would have liked to have met. FRWL, Pelham One, Two Three and Jaws all stand up to repeat viewing today even if Shaw was essentially a hired hand in those.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 7:11 pm

SarahN wrote:
Point Break - a surfer/undercover-cop flick that I remembered much better than it actually was. After watching it again today I don't get what the fuss was about. The best part are easily the two skydive sequences. And the Nixon gag. Honourable mention goes to Gary Busey. I think Bigelow would shoot this one quite differently today. Is it true this is supposed to see a remake in the near future?

Yes, it is (like almost everything else). I think a trailer may already be around.

Small trivia titbit about Robert Shaw ... he had stated a wish to be cremated, but at the time he died in the Republic Of Ireland cremations were not carried out there. So the body had to be brought up to Belfast so it could happen.

The Third Man - I'd never seen this Carol Reed/Graham Greene classic before, so took the opportunity as my local arthouse cinema is screening a newly-restored version.

Wonderfully atmospheric, with a post-WW2 Vienna seemingly rife with black market profiteering, that endlessly hummable zither score and one of cinema history's biggest bastards in Orson Welles' Harry Lime.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Salomé wrote:
The reason why I mentioned French cinematic stars is that you can sort of draw a line straight from Bardot to Nora Arnezeder that is still somewhat consistent.

Which reminds me, Magali Noël died last month. Viviane is from a better time when women could be overtly sexual without seven years of psychoanalysis.

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

Robert Shaw packed a huge amount into his short life. Renaissance man is an overused phrase, but in the 1960s he had a large output as a writer as well as an actor. And how many kids did he father? I seem to recall it was 10 or so. He made a lot of bad films to pay for them, but always put in a good performance. There were tragic aspects to his life such as the drinking and suicide of his wife Mary Ure, which probably contributed to his early demise, but he remains one of the few actors I would have liked to have met. FRWL, Pelham One, Two Three and Jaws all stand up to repeat viewing today even if Shaw was essentially a hired hand in those.

He rewrote the best scene in "Jaws". I believe his version of the "Indianapolis" monologue was its third iteration.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
The reason why I mentioned French cinematic stars is that you can sort of draw a line straight from Bardot to Nora Arnezeder that is still somewhat consistent.

Which reminds me, Magali Noël died last month. Viviane is from a better time when women could be overtly sexual without seven years of psychoanalysis.

Jules Dassin made great films on both sides of the Atlantic yet seems another largely forgotten filmmaker today.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Salomé wrote:
[Shaw] rewrote the best scene in "Jaws". I believe his version of the "Indianapolis" monologue was its third iteration.

I thought that was John Milius?

Salomé wrote:
Jules Dassin made great films on both sides of the Atlantic yet seems another largely forgotten filmmaker today.

Rififi is on Netflix now so maybe Dassin will find some younger followers.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 8:17 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
[Shaw] rewrote the best scene in "Jaws". I believe his version of the "Indianapolis" monologue was its third iteration.

I thought that was John Milius?

IIRC, Milius wrote the second draft of it, which was far longer than Spielberg wanted it to be.
So then Shaw offered to do the rewrite of the Indianapolis scene himself, ending up with something about half the length of Milius' version.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Futureshock! The Story Of 2000AD - amusing and revealing documentary about the long-running British sci-fi comic.

Former editor Pat Mills on a conversation with a concerned 'suit' at the publishers concerning a strip that was about an invasion of the UK by 'Volgans' -

'Pat, erm ... these Volgans. Are they meant to be Russians?'

'No no, they're Volgans. Fictional'.

'There's a River Volga in Russia, Pat'.

'There's a Republic of Volga in Africa'.

'Yes, but for one thing the Volgan uniforms look very like Russian ones. And for another, none of them are black'.

laugh
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Always thought Curfew was lifted straight from the pages of 2000AD, Volgans and all.

Quote :
Germany failed to protect her borders
She had grown soft with the American Dream
The men from the steppes delivered their vacuum ...

Gotta see this 2000AD doc. The Mighty Tharg's organ and Action were the great British comics of the time.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Another fun aspect was the recollections about Action and 2000AD running into trouble over their depictions of violence.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 pm

My daughter took me to see Pixels drool

I must admit I still have it bad for Pac-Man.

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation tonight....
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 pm

The Wind and the Lion

a film driven by the performances of Sean Connery and Brian Keith and backed up by a smashing Jerry Goldsmith score. Sean Connery, the most Scottish berber you'll most likely to meet, is bordering on excellent here. A glint in the eye and physical prowess throughout. Whereas Brian Keith becomes Teddy Roosevelt, that opening shot with his hand on the globe and his eyes closed, you might be forgiven for thinking it was Teddy himself. Keith physically was a titan and whatever I've seen him in, even Meteor, he fills the screen. For more Keith's now.
And Goldsmith's score brings a dash of adventure, emotion and wonder.

The action at the end is frenetic and fantastic to watch.

A few months ago I watched Milius and then as now I'm a quiet admirer of his work. A bear of a man who in some shots I've seen resembles John Goodman's character in Big Lewbowski. An interview on Wind and Lion has him smoking a fat cigar. Wind and the Lion ranks as one of his finer works.

A footnote but not a small one, is the appearance of Vladek Sheybal. More's the pity not to have him in a scene with Connery.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 5:21 am

Goldsmith's work on that film is truly magnificent.
Anyway...I've seen some good flicks lately.

ANT-MAN (2015)
Top five for Marvel, easily. Rudd is incredibly likeable, per usual, as is the rest of the cast. Ant-Man in general sounds like the most lame superhero around, but somehow Marvel managed to turn such a ridiculous concept into a really fun (and funny) movie. In fact, if these are the results of two last-minute hires like Peyton Reed and Adam McKay, then I can't even imagine how much fun this would have been had Edgar Wright stayed aboard.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION (2015)
Another solid entry for the MI series. McQuarrie keeps the action tense and exciting, and dials back the scope and scale to a refreshingly low(er) level.  Thankfully, he also manages to keep the overblown CGI bullshit to a bare-minimum (something that has plagued Hollywood action movies for a few years now). The real star of the show, however, is Rebecca Ferguson's character, who steals every scene she's in (she's also fine as hell) and pulls-off the "badass female action hero" trope very convincingly. Unfortunately, between her, Cruise and Simon Pegg, there doesn't leave much room for Jeremy Renner's character, who is relegated to mostly a talking head in this one (I thought he was really cool in GHOST PROTOCOL).

Funny note...there's a tremendous action sequence towards the beginning of the film that is set inside an opera house with Puccini's Turandot being performed in the background. Sound familiar? (For the record...this film pulls it off way better than that certain Bond film ever did). The score also recalls the Nessun Dorma theme from the opera several times throughout, which I thought was a cute touch.

ENEMY (2013)
A superb psychological thriller, so much so that I'm shocked this hasn't garnered more acclaim recently. Once again, Gyllenhaal turns-in an excellent performance, this time playing a dual character. Villeneuve's direction is also impeccable, proving that he is certainly a director to keep an eye on. I'm really looking forward to his upcoming cartel flick SICARIO (Deakins with him on that one, too), and of course his Blade Runner project.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 5:56 pm

The Rewrite has Hugh Grant as a has-been screenwriter forced to take a creative writing gig. He starts well by picking his class according to their bust size, tells the matriarch running the English faculty that he’s ‘a little bit tired of female empowerment’ then pats her arse. So far so good.

Obviously he fucks them all in the second act. Except he doesn’t. Instead,he learns 'the error of his ways' and settles for a suburban nothingness in the third act. Be interesting to see what the earlier drafts were like. Maybe the protagonist kept his balls for a few pages longer.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION (2015, directed by Christopher McQuarrie). I probably enjoyed this one more than any of the other MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE films, and I've enjoyed them all very much. Storywise we're looking at the usual back-of-a-napkin nonsense but thankfully it's served up with a tremendous amount of style and flair, and the tone is just right - McQuarrie and co. neither take things too seriously nor slide too far into silliness (tonally I found ROGUE NATION very similar to THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, which I happened to rewatch the other day). The Cruise star quality shines bright, as usual, and the action scenes are exceptional, with car and motorbike chases so well-crafted and so edge-of-seat as to bring to mind the likes of John Frankenheimer and George Miller.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 7:44 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
The Rewrite has Hugh Grant as a has-been screenwriter forced to take a creative writing gig. He starts well by picking his class according to their bust size, tells the matriarch running the English faculty that he’s ‘a little bit tired of female empowerment’ then pats her arse. So far so good.

Obviously he fucks them all in the second act. Except he doesn’t. Instead,he learns 'the error of his ways' and settles for a suburban nothingness in the third act. Be interesting to see what the earlier drafts were like. Maybe the protagonist kept his balls for a few pages longer.

The supporting cast looks decent.

I'm going to guess that they typecast Janney as the matriarch?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 am

Salomé wrote:
I'm going to guess that they typecast Janney as the matriarch?

Full marks. The Rewrite is competent, but entirely predictable in all departments.

Nearly all Hollywood films start well and end badly these days; the first act sets out the interesting dilemma then the third act ties it all up with a pretty little ribbon. Know anyone's life that's like that?

I blame those stupid books by Christopher Vogler. They've resulted in a level of writing that is formulaic and mostly imbecilic. It's all such a contrast with episodic drama - now that's a sea change I'd never have predicted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9   Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9 - Page 37 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? Mark 9
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next