More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Hammer Horror

Go down 
+8
Harmsway
Fort Knox
w7
Captain Arthurs
Largo's Shark
Makeshift Python
Lazenby.
Krilencu
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

Hammer Horror - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:34 am

Hammer Horror - Page 2 220px-Fear_in_the_Night_poster

Here's Jimmy Sangster's 1972 Hammer film Fear In The Night in it's entirety:

One of the very first Hammer films I watched as a kid, staying at a relative's house and having the B&W portable bedside TV on (complete with snowy picture from the old loop aerial and tuned in via the old front-of-set tuning dial) at about 1am, making sure to keep the volume down low enough for nobody to hear I was still awake, as I had to be in school the following morning. Those were the days..... or nights. An engaging film from Mr Sangster, with a dependably good cast.

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 am

Shame. The last of his kind. Rest in peace.

Also, thanks for that video link, Laz.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 7:29 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 pm

The new Hammer film, THE WOMAN IN BLACK, has a new trailer:

Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Looking forward to "Woman in Black" though the vibe is more the Corman AI pictures than Hammer from the trailers. All in all I am more anxious for more Hammer films see the light of day on Blu Ray, seems to be a very slow and erratic process.

Quatermass and the Pit has just had a UK release (blu-ray/dvd combo) and looks tremedous in HD, it may only be a 2 channel soundmix but the bass is well used and the spooky effects really do have a 3d element to underline them. Highly recommended (I concede this is my favorite Hammer film)

My other favourites here are the Dracula series (excepting Scars - which just doesn't work imo), The Devil Rides Out, Curse and Revenge of Frankenstien, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Brides of Dracula, Kiss of the Vampire, Plague of the Zombies, Man Who COuld Cheat Death, Nightcreatures, and there's more....

Other Hammer Blu rays are slightly off beat Vampire Circus (fun but showing some signs of the studio's decline imo), Paranoiac (a great Thriller with an icy performance from Oliver Reed) and a double pack of 'Man Who could cheat Death' and Amicus' the Skull. If there are any others released please enlighten me.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Some good news at last re Blu Ray releases here - looks like they are finally going to get the kind of restoration and special treatment imo they deserve.

BBC News Link here
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I don't know much about Hammer, but I do know Quatermass and the Pit is one of the best sci-fi/horror films I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
I don't know much about Hammer, but I do know Quatermass and the Pit is one of the best sci-fi/horror films I've ever seen.

I would certainly suggest it is one of Hammer's very best and a a rarity for them in terms of being Sci Fi (also my personal favourite of their catalogue), but the production style and flavour is very typical of Hammer's product so there is a good chance you might enjoy more of their output. From the same period watch out for 'The Devil Rides Out' and the early Draculas - 1958's Dracula (Horror of Dracula in the US) and Dracula Prince of Darkness epitomise the studio's output....I think they will give you a good handle on whether you would enjoy seeing more etc.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks, lachesis. I'll keep an eye out for those.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Should I give TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER a go? Richard Widmark is one of my favourite actors as is Denholm Elliot, and plus it apparently features a 15 year old nude Nastassja Kinski.

More importantly it was the last Hammer motion picture and tried to compete with the psychological horror and satanism ROSEMARY'S BABY and THE EXORCIST and so on - but was deemed too little too late. Or so I've read.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:20 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Should I give TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER a go?

I'd like to answer this question honestly, but I don't want the thought police coming for me in 30 years time.

Has Albania an extradition treaty with the UK?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
Should I give TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER a go?

I'd like to answer this question honestly, but I don't want the thought police coming for me in 30 years time.

Can't be bothered to check, but I thought the last Hammer was a lame remake of The Lady Vanishes?

You're right, Ambler -

'In the latter part of the 1970s, Hammer made fewer films, and attempts were made to break away from the then-unfashionable Gothic horror films on which the studio had built its reputation. Neither The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974), a co-production with Hong Kong's Shaw Brothers which attempted to combine Hammer's Gothic horror with the martial arts film, nor To the Devil a Daughter (1976), an adaptation of the Dennis Wheatley novel, were very successful. Hammer's last production, in 1979, was a remake of Hitchcock's 1938 thriller The Lady Vanishes, starring Elliott Gould and Cybill Shepherd. The film was a failure at the box office and all but bankrupted the studio'.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm

What I meant was TTDAD was that last Hammer Horror picture. After that they went to television with Hammer House of Horror and Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm

It was composed by Roger Webb. Here's what HAMMER FILM SCORES AND THE MUSICAL AVANT-GARDE by David Huckvale says on it:

Quote :
To reflect this duality of past achievements and contemporaneity, the popular music idiom of the title music, composed by Roger Webb (drums, electric guitar, etc.) is combined with traditional symphonic elements. The melody, however, avoids obvious tritones and overt discords, and is based on scales and perfect fifths. The result is atmospheric but rather blander than the more full-blooded musical style of Hammer's earlier films. As a piece of Gothic pop it made sense to release the theme as a seven-inch single at the time of the series' original broadcast.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 pm

I remember much chat at school about 'The House That Dripped Blood' episode ... as a timid youngster, I wasn't allowed to watch that sort of thing (love it now of course, but 'back in the day' the Doctor Who theme would send me scampering from the room. Until I was about 13, I failed to see what fun there was in watching TV and movies intended to scare).
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Should I give TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER a go? Richard Widmark is one of my favourite actors as is Denholm Elliot, and plus it apparently features a 15 year old nude Nastassja Kinski.

More importantly it was the last Hammer motion picture and tried to compete with the psychological horror and satanism ROSEMARY'S BABY and THE EXORCIST and so on - but was deemed too little too late. Or so I've read.

Did you catch up with this one?

I was/am a big fan of Hammers 'Devil Rides out' and greatly enjoyed Wheatley's other 'black magic' novels so was stoked when Hammer announced they were making 'To The Devil a Daughter' unfortunately I can only recall disappointment with the finished result, though it has been many a year since I last saw it.

The Hammer TV sereis was decent for it's time but like much of Hammers 70's output is rather set in its time. Suzanne Danielle as the 'Carpathian Eagle' particularly comes to mind, great legs and what a way to go!
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:16 pm

I couldn't bear to finish TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 10:51 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Hammer Horrow for Halloween - the Unquenchable Thirst of Dracula   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 5:06 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 28, 2017 11:45 am

Could be decent, this ... Gatiss is of course a Hammer aficionado, and I've enjoyed Radio 4's Fleming adaptations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammer Horror   Hammer Horror - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hammer Horror
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2