More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom

Go down 
+21
FourDot
j7wild
Hilly
Loomis
Harmsway
tiffanywint
Drax
Control
Blunt Instrument
bondfan06
Vesper
Mr. Trevelyan
CJB
Largo's Shark
Salomé
GeneralGogol
Lazenby.
The White Tuxedo
Makeshift Python
Ravenstone
SJK91
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SJK91
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
SJK91

Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom Empty
PostSubject: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 pm

No one has brought up Indiana Jones yet, so I'll be the first!

:cheers: Touchdown.

I'll start off by saying that ALL three original Indiana Jones pictures (yes, even Temple of Doom) were incredible films. Radiers of the Lost Ark might even be my favorite film of all time.

Even Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, while not even holding a candle to the original series, isn't HORRIBLE. Yes, there are plenty of things wrong with it, but sometimes I think it gets a little more criticism than it deserves.

My Indy Rankings:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - 10/10
2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - 9/10
3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - 9/10
4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - 6/10

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are so close, sometimes it is hard to call for me.

Thoughts????
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm

The first half of Kingdom of the Tacky McGuffin is okay. Then it just goes all over the place. The whole premise of the alien skulls, the Ox being insane - it's just so messy. Forget the fridge, forget the gophers straight out of Caddyshack - I can live with them. But aliens? Really? :evil:

George Lucas is a man in serious need of a slap at times. Several slaps. And it's no good Spielberg being in denial and saying, "They're not aliens; they're dimensional beings." Jog on, Stevie boy - they're bloody aliens. A rose by any other name still stinks.

So - first half of the film - fine. Rest of it - pants.

I'd have preferred to see another actor in the role of Indy, regardless of how close to heresy that may seem to some people. I would love to see Denis Quaid, or David Duchovny play the part. I reckon either one would do a fantastic job.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 2:53 am

I didn't mind the alien thing, we only get to see one for like 30 seconds during the climax anyway.

On the Indy scale.

Raiders - 10/10
Doom - 9/10
Crusade - 8/10
Skull - 7/10

Despite rating Raiders the highest, I still get the most entertainment out of Doom.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
I didn't mind the alien thing, we only get to see one for like 30 seconds during the climax anyway.

On the Indy scale.

Raiders - 10/10
Doom - 9/10
Crusade - 8/10
Skull - 7/10

Despite rating Raiders the highest, I still get the most entertainment out of Doom.

I might do a rewatch of these sometime. I sold my old trilogy DVD set, though. Ain't seen the one with that Shia jackass.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 am

Skull ain't bad, but it ain't great. It's basically Crusade on speed.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 am

1. Raiders
2. Temple
3=. Crusade/Skull

Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 am

I can't disagree with this ranking:

1. Raiders
2. Crusade
3. Temple
4. Skull

Crusade is the one I first saw as a kid, so it's second-best primarily because of sentimental value. Temple of Doom has some of the most entertaining parts, but at times it's very off-putting. Skull I've seen only once.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:46 am

Raiders is the only true classic amongst there. As with everything else, it all starts with the screenplay.

Doom upped the comedy and action sequences but lost a lot of the old-fashioned charm of the original.

Crusade was saved by Sir Sean's presence.

Crystal Skull sums up everything that's been wrong with Lucas since Empire. Apparently Spielberg liked Darabont's leaked draft a lot better than the movie they ended up making, but Lucas drove through his own will.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:03 am

1. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
2. THE LAST CRUSADE
3. THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
4. KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 am

Ark > Crusade > Temple >>> Taking Psychobabble 101 with Babs and Dench as pedagogues >>>>>> Skull

I thought Skull was total shyte. The CGI was horrendous to the point of hilarity and there was just so damn much of it. The alien storyline was pretty out of place too. The previous films were centred around religious artefacts, no need to chuck E.T. into the fray.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Trevelyan
Cipher Clerk
Mr. Trevelyan

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Bad thread title. BOOOO! :evil:
(I keed, I keed! ;) )

RAIDERS > CRUSADE > TEMPLE > YOUNG INDY > SKULL

Skull is definitely the worst, but it isn't total s**t. Sure the aliens were little far fetched since Indy is more related to religious artefacts, but then again, I think it was summed up well in the movie: It depends on who your God is.

Last edited by Mr. Trevelyan on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Also totally wasted Cate Blanchett. Before footage, photos and details started to come out, I remember when the cast was announced I thought it actually might be good. Well, besides the guy from Wall Street 2. How does he keep getting roles?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Vesper wrote:
Also totally wasted Cate Blanchett.
Brown once totally wasted Cate, or so he claims.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Raiders
Crusade
Temple
Skull

I need to see the trilogy again it's been some time.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Vesper wrote:
Also totally wasted Cate Blanchett. Before footage, photos and details started to come out, I remember when the cast was announced I thought it actually might be good. Well, besides the guy from Wall Street 2. How does he keep getting roles?

And you could remove Ray Winstone's character and it would make pretty much no difference to the film at all. And it wastes John Hurt.

Crystal Skull had the same effect on me as Terminator Salvation ... a deflating experience that left me with no enthusiasm or desire for fifth instalments of either franchise.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 1:13 am

Latest from Karen Allen (Marion) on the possibility of an Indy 5:

Quote :
What I know is that there’s a story that they like, which is a huge step forward. I heard this about six months ago, that they have a story that they like and they’re working on it.

I'd like it to happen. I'm not a Crystal Skull hater, as TBH I didn't find it that much better or worse than Crusade, in that both films had elements which p*ssed me off. Skull at least felt a tad more fresh IMO, and didn't quite suffer as much from the Moonraker-esque "gag tacked on the end of every f***ing scene" syndrome Crusade suffered from. Less "humour", less CGI, more Indy, less "Indy and the gang", and I'd be up for a fifth film.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 am

I think that the Anti-Humour Indy Gestapo forget that RAIDERS itself had quite a lot. Arguably far more so than TEMPLE and SKULL. Why it worked, is because it was blended with the macabre.

Rather that get increasingly tasteless, sadistic and humourless like DOOM, CRUSADE went in a more unique direction. Lighter, Vaudevillian comedy instead of black humour.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 am

With Indy and Bond I want wit, not comedy.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 am

I'd rather have both, for the sake of variety. But only the intentional kind.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 am

I won't pay to see another one of these.

The score that Williams put together for the last film wasn't even worth the money. Kind of a cob-job, reusing a bunch of old themes from a variety of films he scored previously.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 4:50 am

Mr. Brown wrote:

The score that Williams put together for the last film wasn't even worth the money. Kind of a cob-job, reusing a bunch of old themes from a variety of films he scored previously.

That was probably the biggest disappointment about Skull for me, yet strangely it's something many people never seem to note. Williams' scores for the first three Indy films were great, and added plenty to those films. Maybe people just accept mediocre scores as a given nowadays, who knows? But if Skull had a score as strong as the first three Indy scores, I'd bet good money that the film would have gone down a fair bit better with people as a result. I can't be too hard on Williams, heck the fact that he's still going even remotely strong at his age is quite the feat, but when you watch a film even as divisive as Temple Of Doom, you're at the very least undeniably hit in the face throughout by a terrific score. Thus, when Skull can't boast the same, it's unfortunately noticeable. But herein lies one more reason why I wouldn't object to a fifth Indy film; I still think Williams can rouse us one more time.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 am

Lazenby. wrote:
Maybe people just accept mediocre scores as a given nowadays, who knows?

I think that may be a major issue today. I'd bet that most movie-goers really don't give a rat's ass about a film's score. Another issue lies with those who only listen to his mainstream work. There are people out there who only really know him for his work with Harry Potter and Star Wars, and therefore assume if his name's on a project, then the score is gold. F***IN' kids... laugh

Still not an excuse for Williams to be slacking, though. Herrmann, for example, was writing commendable music right up until the end (quite literally). I prefer seeing Williams in concert at Tanglewood now. He plays music from his past scores, but also has guests, and nothing beats the live orchestra.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Trevelyan
Cipher Clerk
Mr. Trevelyan

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 am

Lazenby. wrote:
Maybe people just accept mediocre scores as a given nowadays, who knows?
I never even payed attention to the score except in the opening, but even there I only payed attention to the parts taken from Raiders. It's probably because the movie itself isn't really anything special so you don't even dare to pay attention to the score.
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

Location : Slicing my enemies limb from limb into quivering bloody sushi.

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 am

Temple>Raiders>>>Crusade
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 am

I really don't get the love for TEMPLE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom   Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom Empty

Back to top Go down

Indiana Jones and the Last Lost Crystal Thread of Doom
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next