These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

American Politics Reloaded

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Good grief! MTV is back with a new "Rock The Vote" campaign #turnoutforwhat, and it's always been my contention that if you as a voter need one of these campaigns at the last minute to convince you to vote (or to get registered to vote), you've put no thought into voting, don't know the issues, and should stay as far the hell away from a voting booth as humanly possible.

Some of the "celebrities" and what they're 'turning out' for:

EJ Johnson [Magic Johnson's son(?)]: marriage equality

Lena Dunham [HBO's GIRLS]: reproductive rights (based on this video, I think it's safe to say she needn't worry about getting pregnant)

Pay attention to what all these people have to say, folks. They are Hollywood celebrities, which means they are important people, with a lot of influence, who have carefully held positions based upon years of meticulous thought and research. Treat them well, for they are the next generation of American leaders.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 2 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:02 pm

It's not 'MTV', it's 'EMPTY-VEE' and the video proves it.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Lena Dunham

*shivers*

Reminds me of the National Review article Five Reasons Why You're Too Dumb to Vote.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:02 am

From today's FT. I'm posting the full article as its been widely quoted, but is hidden behind a paywall. Some interesting facts and opinions.

Quote :

The Riddle of Black America's Rising Woes Under Obama

A paradox haunts America’s first black president. African-American wealth has fallen further under Barack Obama than under any president since the Depression. Yet they are the only group that still gives him high ratings. So meagre is Mr Obama’s national approval rating that embattled Democrats have made him unwelcome in states that twice swept him to power. Those who have fared worst under Mr Obama are the ones who love him the most. You would be hard-pressed to find a better example of perception-driven politics. As the Reverend Kevin Johnson asked in 2013: “Why are we so loyal to a president who isn’t loyal to us?”

The problem has taken on new salience with the resignation of Eric Holder. America’s first black attorney-general has tried to correct the gulag-sized disparities in prison sentencing between blacks and whites. His exit leaves just two African-Americans in Mr Obama’s cabinet. Given the mood among Republicans, it is hard to imagine the US Senate confirming a successor to Mr Holder who shares his priorities.

Mr Obama shot to prominence in 2004 when he said there was no black or white America, just the United States of America. Yet as the continuing backlash to the police shooting of an unarmed young black man in Ferguson has reminded us, Mr Obama will leave the US at least as segregated as he found it. How could that be? The fair answer is that he is not to blame. The poor suffered the brunt of the Great Recession and blacks are far likelier to be poor. By any yardstick – the share of those with subprime mortgages, for example, or those working in casualised jobs – African-Americans were more directly in the line of fire.

Without Mr Obama’s efforts, African-American suffering would have been even greater. He has fought Congress to preserve food stamps and long-term unemployment insurance – both of which help blacks disproportionately. The number of Americans without health insurance has fallen by 8m since the Affordable Care Act came into effect. Likewise, no president has done as much as Mr Obama – to depressingly little effect – to try to correct the racial bias in US federal sentencing. Bill Clinton was once termed “America’s first black president”. But it was under Mr Clinton that incarceration rates rose to their towering levels.

By no honest reckoning can Mr Obama be blamed for the decline in black America’s fortunes. Yet the facts are deeply unflattering. Since 2009, median non-white household income has dropped by almost a 10th to $33,000 a year, according to the US Federal Reserve’s survey of consumer finances. As a whole, median incomes fell by 5 per cent. But by the more telling measure of net wealth – assets minus liabilities – the numbers offer a more troubling story.

The median non-white family today has a net worth of just $18,100 – almost a fifth lower than it was when Mr Obama took office. White median wealth, on the other hand, has inched up by 1 per cent to $142,000. In 2009, white households were seven times richer than their black counterparts. That gap is now eightfold. Both in relative and absolute terms, blacks are doing worse under Mr Obama.

Why then do African-Americans still give him such stellar ratings? To understand, listen to the dog whistles of Mr Obama’s detractors. The more angrily the Tea Party reviles Mr Obama, the more ardently African-Americans back him. When Newt Gingrich, the former Republican leader, described Mr Obama as a “food stamp president”, the subtext was plain. It was too when Joe Wilson, a Republican lawmaker, interrupted Mr Obama’s address to Congress to call him a liar – an indignity none of his predecessors suffered.

There is a prominently displayed photograph in the White House showing the moment that a young black boy touched Mr Obama’s hair to compare it with his own. “So, what do you think?” asked Mr Obama. “Yes, it does feel the same,” said the child. That episode conveys something no Fed statistician can measure.

Black Americans seem to grasp something many of Mr Obama’s white supporters often forget. If the opposing party controls Congress and wants to make trouble, it can stop almost any White House initiative in its tracks. Most voters hold the president accountable for the big trends affecting their lives, particularly economic. But there are times when this is not fully deserved. Under this president at least, black America’s insights may be a step ahead of the rest.

edward.luce@ft.com
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
From today's FT. I'm posting the full article as its been widely quoted, but is hidden behind a paywall. Some interesting facts and opinions.

The Riddle of Black America's Rising Woes Under Obama

A paradox haunts America’s first black president. African-American wealth has fallen further under Barack Obama than under any president since the Depression. Yet they are the only group that still gives him high ratings. So meagre is Mr Obama’s national approval rating that embattled Democrats have made him unwelcome in states that twice swept him to power. Those who have fared worst under Mr Obama are the ones who love him the most. You would be hard-pressed to find a better example of perception-driven politics. As the Reverend Kevin Johnson asked in 2013: “Why are we so loyal to a president who isn’t loyal to us?”

Blacks throw all their political weight to the Democrats, and they have for over 50 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/us/in-black-vote-democrats-see-lifeline-for-midterms.html

People decry it as "racism" if you refer to it as "the black vote", yet THEY DO vote in a monolithic bloc. Without spreading their votes around to other parties, they never have anyone actually compete for their vote. Year after year, at every level, from local to national, 9 out of 10 black voters will choose the Democrat. What does the Democratic Party say, or stand for, that resonates with black voters? Or are they blindly voting for the Democratic candidate because their local pastor was given some "walking around money" by a local PAC and instructed to "get out the vote" by preaching from the pulpit about who his parishioners should vote for? When white Democrats want to get the black vote, you don't think they actually go into black neighborhoods, do you? No, they usually pay off the local churches to do their ground campaign for them. LOL!

Anybody who looks at the data realizes that if the black vote, and the brown vote, doesn’t turn out, we can’t win. It’s just that simple,” said Representative Marcia L. Fudge. Now, granted, she's a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, but implicit in her comments are the assumptions that blacks and browns will vote Democrat. It's inconceivable to her that blacks and browns might go to the polls and vote for a Republican, Libertarian, Green Party, Independent, or Constitutional Party candidate. In fact, I guarantee you that if she suspected at all that a minority outreach program to blacks and browns might convince those people to vote, but just not for a Democrat, people like Marsha Fudge wouldn't bother organizing such rallies. The black vote is only useful if they vote Democrat; if they vote for any other party they are an Uncle Tom; a traitor to their race, and are not authentically black.

What about the white vote? Do they count? Can we talk about getting whitey out to vote, or is that politically incorrect? Just checkin'....[/quote]

Last edited by Gravity's Silhouette on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 pm

It's simple: Republicans generally treat minorities as subhuman than Democrats in varying ways, that's why they're losing votes.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
It's simple: Republicans generally treat minorities as subhuman than Democrats in varying ways, that's why they're losing votes.

For the sake of argument, I'll stipulate what you say is true. However, the opposite, which would be coddling, serves the black community no better and Democrats do exactly that. In fact, it's downright patronizing. Both political parties have bases that they obscenely pander to, but I don't think there is any other significant voting group that puts all their eggs into one political basket quite the same way as black voters do with Democrats. Gays, Latinos, Asians, Jews, Christians, women...spread their votes out a little less disproportionately than blacks. For them, it seems like it's all or nothing; Democrat or die. Democrats tend to treat the black voters as in perpetual need of government assistance at every level of their existence; to be made to feel that they constantly have a target on their back and need to be nestled under the warm, caring bosom of the Democratic party to protect them and promote their interests. I don't buy it.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree, but what the Democrats do is obviously preferable to the attitude Republicans have. Call it the lesser of two evils. Better to be coddled than neglected.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:53 am

Well fuck me sideways with a hammer drill...

Quote :
Could Republican frontrunner Trump actually win?
He’s brash, outspoken and provocative – and he’s the leading GOP candidate in polls. Experts doubt he can go the distance but he has already changed the race

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/19/is-this-guy-serious-could-republican-frontrunner-donald-trump-actually-win
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 am

I doubt Trump will survive the primaries.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:27 am

I'll begin construction of my nuclear bunker if he does.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 am

Trump is a great sideshow, but he won't last. What really perplexes me is that there are people that another Bush is being taken seriously as a presidential candidate. The GOP is FUBAR.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:13 am

Any presidential hopeful should have to go 10 rounds in the ring with Generalissimus Putin before selection.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:18 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Trump is a great sideshow, but he won't last. What really perplexes me is that there are people that another Bush is being taken seriously as a presidential candidate. The GOP is FUBAR.

He'll make the first round of debates more interesting than they were going to be. Nobody was really looking forward to watching a Republican debate in the dead-heat of summer precisely 6 months before the caucus/primary. But now I'll probably watch.

Trump talks too much, while Hillary Clinton talks too little.

The idea of a candidate who doesn't need the job, the influence, or the money is interesting. Theoretically it should free him/her up to be honest with the American people; but Trump is not that man. He's too egotistical; he doesn't know when to shut up. He doubles down on ignorance and stupidity. His companies employ illegals so he should keep his mouth shut about immigration; he manufactures in China, so complaining about losing jobs to foreign workers nullifies any points he might have to make. He's had at least one corporate bankruptcy, so his track record on financial matters is sketchy at best. He's been married..what???...three times now? Cheated  on every wife, so I don't know how the value voters can possibly support him.

His jab at John McCain, essentially blaming him for 'getting caught' and being a prisoner of war, is so shocking and mindbogglingly insulting that any candidate with even the slightest modicum of decency and humanity would just quietly slither away and withdraw from the race.

Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:20 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Hillary Clinton talks too little.

What's that incessant shrill whining then?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:03 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Well fuck me sideways with a hammer drill...

Quote :
Could Republican frontrunner Trump actually win?
He’s brash, outspoken and provocative – and he’s the leading GOP candidate in polls. Experts doubt he can go the distance but he has already changed the race

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/19/is-this-guy-serious-could-republican-frontrunner-donald-trump-actually-win

I'm sure the Democrats hope that will happen.
It would really be embarrassing for the rest of the GOP field if they cannot beat this guy.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:07 am

It was rather amusing when Hillary tweeted about the civil rights act whilst at the time, she had been campaigning for Goldwater. Of course within minutes someone pointed out this fact on her twitter feed. It does tell us something about how ignorant they (her campaign) assume the electorate is.

If I were an American, Hillary vs. the GOP field would not exactly fill me with joy.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:18 am

I'm hoping for Bernie Sanders myself.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:22 am

I'm still holding out for Sasha Grey.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 am

Sasha will introduce back-loading to the electoral process.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:12 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
What really perplexes me is that there are people that another Bush is being taken seriously as a presidential candidate.

Jr. was thicker than my cock, but Sr. was a decent enough president I tend to think.

Trump is funny, but also a massive cunt. As mentioned, his economic nationalism is hypocritical given his own business practices. Not to mention that such policies would damage the United States' economy and that of the wider world.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:19 pm

A somewhat downbeat assessment of Hillary from the Spectacularly Boring:

Quote :
However hard she might try to dupe voters that she’s just another Midwestern grandma at heart, she comes off as the candidate of the elite, a Hamptons-hopping, big money shill. Even Jeb Bush, the American David Cameron, starts to look a little blue-collar in her shadow. What should have been a Democratic rout could end up being a narrow Republican smackdown.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/politics/9602262/hillary-clinton-is-a-hopeless-candidate-and-democrats-are-finally-realising/
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:40 pm

I think her main problem is that there are few people left who do not realize what the Clintons are about.
That's why so much of her rhetoric sounds disingenuous. Like suddenly pretending to wanting to curtail Wall Street after the Clinton clan has been nothing but their lackeys for three decades.

The worrying thing is how little the people running her campaign are aware of this. e.g. when she tweeted about the civil rights act and was then promptly reminded of the fact that she had campaigned for Johnson's adversary at the time. I believe the first person to reply to said tweet already called her out on that.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Clinton may have raped Libya into failed statehood, thus aiding both Islamic State and helping create Europe's present invasion crisis, but the Kardashians have endorsed her so that's good enough for me.

Back to top Go down
HJackson
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 am

The problem is that just as the Democrats are ready to nominate a thoroughly and obviously dishonest candidate like Clinton, the Republicans seem unprepared to nominate a safe establishment figure like Bush or Rubio who can beat her - both because of McCain and Romney, and because (as the debate showed) they are completely uninspiring. I have no doubt in my mind that Clinton will win the nomination. She'll probably win the presidency by default because the GOP seems to be ripping itself apart.

The first post-debate poll has Trump, Cruz, and Carson leading the pack with Bush and Walker collapsing. Carson's life story is incredible and he seems custom made to broaden GOP appeal, but he spent half of the debate talking about Saul Alinsky and tax reform based on the Bible. Cruz's performance was impressive and it seemed clear to me that he won the debate, but he's too far to the right to win a presidential election. Trump, oddly enough, is the only one of the outsider candidates who seems to have a chance at shaking up the traditional constituencies by carrying white blue collar Democrats on an anti-globalisation platform, much as Ross Perot threatened to at his height in the summer of 1992. Rand Paul's pitch to young and ethnic minority voters was interesting, but he embarrassed himself on the big stage in front of 24m viewers and I doubt he'll even make it to the main stage in September.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Politics Reloaded   

Back to top Go down

American Politics Reloaded
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: News & Current Affairs-
Jump to: