More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?

Go down 
+6
lachesis
Salomé
Harmsway
Largo's Shark
bitchcraft
Campbell4
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  Empty
PostSubject: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 am

In the end the market will take care of everything.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 pm

The Singularity is near...
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Yeah, that will be fun!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 3:13 am

bitchcraft wrote:
The Singularity is near...

I can see it in your avatar.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 4:04 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm concerned that we have a legal system incapable of addressing our quick technological development. The problem with rapid tech development is that it leaves little time for reflection.

I'm not panicky about AI, which will likely neither give us the Singularity or Skynet. But I am concerned about the careless automation of society and that technologies we don't understand have been implemented into our daily lives (i.e. the automated trading computers that briefly crashed the stock market).
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Harmsway wrote:
I'm not panicky about AI, which will likely neither give us the Singularity or Skynet.

Why do you think the likelihood is not there? I'm thinking it's 15-20 years away.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 6:17 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
I'm not panicky about AI, which will likely neither give us the Singularity or Skynet.

Why do you think the likelihood is not there? I'm thinking it's 15-20 years away.
I'm with Kim Stanley Robinson:
"I'm fine with AI, because I don't believe in it in the usual way it is interpreted, as machine consciousness. I don't think that will happen, because brains and machines are very different things, and will end up always doing different things. The tendency to regard the brain as a machine should be easy to dodge by considering how we have successively considered it as a clock, a steam engine, a hologram, and now a computer; none of them are good analogies, not even our current favorites.

So 'artificial intelligence' really will come down to machine algorithms designed for human uses, and when we understand AI as that, we can begin to think about the algorithms and the uses, without getting into anything more metaphysical or fantastical. We will certain project personalities onto machines, we already do that, but it is a projection and we have to keep that in mind."

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/04/in-300-years-kim-stanley-robinsons-science-fiction-may-not-be-fiction/274392/?single_page=true

The Singularity hypothesis' roots are more philosophical than scientific, and its treatment by its ardent adherents suggests that it may ultimately have a religious component.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 3:29 pm

x

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Ex Machina opens April 10, 2015 on this side of the Atlantic.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Seems to be getting very good reviews. The interesting thing is that it has divided the feminazis/feminists straight down the middle in their opinion of whether or not it is a "feminist" picture.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

x

Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 3:05 pm

A dearth of human intelligence remains the bigger threat. But looking forward to seeing Ex Machina, very promising reviews.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 am

x

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 3:55 am

Quite fascinating to think that in the 200,000 or so years that modern homo sapiens have existed, it's only in the last 72 years - a mere sliver in that stretch of time - that we've developed the means to eradicate our species entirely.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 pm

They can't even make my robot hoover behave itself so I'm not too worried that machines will be taking over humanity just yet.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 pm

v

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Santa wrote:
They can't even make my robot hoover behave itself so I'm not too worried that machines will be taking over humanity just yet.

Is he called Brian by any chance?

Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  Brian-the-robot600x600
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Well done, Bri. smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 1:05 pm

He's been acting weird for a while now. Supposedly he is ridiculously overworked and stressed?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 pm

As to the OP, yes, AI is something worth fearing. Read Nick Bostrom's Superintelligence for the inside gen. Our curiosity and our hubris could very will finish us off, and perhaps sooner than later.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 8:58 pm

I believe Elon Musk is currently the biggest threat to mankind.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am

Santa wrote:
I believe Elon Musk is currently the biggest threat to mankind.

For smoking pot on a podcast?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?    Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Artificial Intelligence the biggest threat to mankind?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next