These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Scorsese's Life Lessons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Scorsese's Life Lessons   Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Thought this montage of Scorsese's short was worth sharing.
So very few modern day directors are visually appealing. At least Marty always aspired to get every last bit of juice out of the medium that he could.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Scorsese's Life Lessons   Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Scorsese is one of the few living American directors I admire. There's an integrity to his work entirely missing from money-making machines like Spielberg. Yet I can't say there's much of Scorsese's back catalogue I want to own.

The problem is that Scorsese is a fine craftsman with nothing to say. He's not an artist though he thinks he is. In many respects, his most obvious counterpart is Tarantino. Both men glorify organised crime, and use popular music and flashy editing as props for their visuals, two of the most detrimental influences on contemporary film making. That said, my main objection to Scorsese's deification comes down to one thing: why is he feted and De Palma despised?

After all, De Palma is the more daring and intelligent of the two. His work has all the technical audacity of Scorsese, but also has something to say. That's what makes someone an artist rather than just a skilled entertainer. De Palma's driven by the dynamic between men and women just as Hitchcock was at his best; sex is what compels us. Neither shared that peculiarly American obsession with money over all and maybe that's why their work has been under constant attack for more than 30 years. Ultimately, the depiction of sex and its power offends the unholy alliance of feminism and fundamentalism that is the biggest obstacle facing the arts and freedom of speech today. Scorsese and Tarantino can prosper in that world. De Palma can't.
Back to top Go down

Scorsese's Life Lessons
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: