More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Appropriate Product Placement for 007

Go down 
+4
Prisoner Monkeys
Campbell4
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

Appropriate Product Placement for 007 Empty
PostSubject: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:01 am

Brand names have been part of Bond ever since Fleming started dropping them left and right. But it's also true that Fleming's Bond was generally oddly particular in his taste and style, rather than the voracious consumer of high-priced luxury goods that Bond has often been in the cinematic universe. The cinematic Bond has often been something of a walking billboard (in fact, the attention afforded to Omega by their association with 007 is one of the reasons that Omega is Rolex's most significant competitor these days).

But if we're to step back and consider the brands that truly suit 007, rather than just those that allow EON to subsidize their increasingly enormous productions, which ones actually *fit*?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:16 am

Personally, I'd choose Dom Perignon champagne. It's only featured once in the novels (Bond drinks a '46 in Moonraker) - but it's a staple of the film series for the first 15 years. Shame Bond hasn't drunk a glass since TSWLM.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:22 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Personally, I'd choose Dom Perignon champagne. It's only featured once in the novels (Bond drinks a '46 in Moonraker) - but it's a staple of the film series for the first 15 years. Shame Bond hasn't drunk a glass since TSWLM.
The movies' current brand of choice is still Bollinger, right?

I'd much rather see Dom Perignon/Moet & Chandon. More Bond history there.  What else did Bond drink in the novels? Veuve Clicquot? Taittinger?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:38 am

Harmsway wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
The movies' current brand of choice is still Bollinger, right?

I'd much rather see Dom Perignon/Moet & Chandon. More Bond history there.  What else did Bond drink in the novels? Veuve Clicquot? Taittinger?

That and bourbon, which Fleming preferred to whiskey. And of course there's occasional local beer like Red Stripe or Löwenbräu.

Was thinking more about this question, and the different relationships EON/MGM/Sony/United Artists have had with various sponsors, and in terms of aircraft - the most longstanding are Bell and Aérospatiale for helicopters (plus the Concorde in MR) and Boeing for aeroplanes. Seriously, think of all those classic Bell or Augusta-Bell helicopters - the one takes Bond to Piz Gloria in OHMSS, bombards Blofeld's oil rig in DAF, attacks Bond and Solitaire in the poppy fields in LALD, chases Bond's Lotus TSWLM, the Drax JetRanger piloted by Corinne in MR, or the red and white Universal Exports copter that picks up Bond in FYEO. They're part of 70s/80s Bond iconography.
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 am

When reading the books by Fleming I was surprised how much bourbon and Tennessee whiskey is mentioned. And a Hennessy cognac once or twice. I don't think they had that in the films.

Would a aluminium suitcase forget the name, not be something for Bond?
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 8:36 am

When it comes to suits, I think it very much depends on the cut and the individual actor. For example, Sean Connery looked good in a white tuxedo, but it was never a look that would have suited Brosnan.

In terms of cars, I think Aston Martin suits him to a tee. They're bold enough to be attractive, but they don't have the head-turning quality of other, similar marques. I have noticed a few around the city, and they've got this ephemeral quality about them - I only ever seem to spot them out if the corner of my eye, and they're gone by the time I focus my attention, leaving me wondering if I saw them at all. It's that quality that I think makes them perfect for Bond.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 am

Good idea for a thread. Unfortunately, I hardly enter the Bond section these days because of all the Spectre spoilers. (Jennifer Lawrence's muff I can deal with, but story elements are verboten.)

Cigarette would earn big bucks for eon if Bond endorsed a brand. The Nanny State makes that unlikely in Western markets so I suggest scenes are reshot for Asia featuring the entire cast smoking. (This is what Hammer films did occasionally, only with Hammer it was nudity.)
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Fleming wrote that Bond had the most selfish car in England. I suppose that an Aston Martin fits the bill (better than a BMW or Jaguar would, anyway). The new DC10 is sharp.

Regarding Bond's watch, I maintain that Bremont is a preferable brand choice to Omega. The Supermarine wouldn't be a bad choice:
Appropriate Product Placement for 007 Pic64

The Grand Seiko would also be a respectable choice (and I don't say that just because I'm desperate to own one myself):
Appropriate Product Placement for 007 P1000055_1024x1024

Last edited by Harmsway on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Can't wait to see Monica or Lea with a Heineken demurely between her lips.

Incidently, I don't see this as misappropriate. I don't mind seeing Bond with a beer or bottle water every now and then between the luxury drinks.

It's Mrs Dog's favourite beer too. (I prefer Corrs, but don't tell her that).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Last Rat Standing wrote:
Can't wait to see Monica or Lea with a Heineken bottle demurely between her lips.

Which lips?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:26 am

Belvedere will be partnering with EON on SPECTRE:

Appropriate Product Placement for 007 Bv_007_silver%20saber

The brand choice seems more or less okay to me, but I'm not particularly well-versed in vodka (I have bottles of Vox and Golia that I use for cocktails, but I don't really go near the stuff unless I'm having a mixed drink). Obviously Smirnoff has the strongest association with 007, and the Russian heritage is appealing, but they're not the only Bond brand (Stolichnaya, Absolut, and Finlandia have all appeared in Bond movies).
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:42 am

Only the best for 007. Appropriate Product Placement for 007 9k=Appropriate Product Placement for 007 Z
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 11:59 am

Harmsway wrote:
Belvedere will be partnering with EON on SPECTRE:

Bond and Mr Belvedere the new sitcom.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I do think that Bond wearing Tom Ford is a bit of a misstep (maybe even a bigger misstep than having him wear Brioni). Not because I think the look has been all wrong (I liked the suits in Quantum of Solace, disliked them in Skyfall), but because an American fashion house doesn't seem suited to Bond. Bond isn't (or shouldn't be) a fashionista. He wears nice, classic suits because they're durable and timeless, not because they're fashionable.

Bespoke fashion should be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 5:51 pm

I think Bond should go back to wearing Rolex watches, as this is what Fleming described Bond wearing. Anything else, including Omega, is just plain wrong.

Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Dalton all wore them, and they looked great, very Bond-like.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:21 pm

jet set willy wrote:
I think Bond should go back to wearing Rolex watches, as this is what Fleming described Bond wearing. Anything else, including Omega, is just plain wrong.
I disagree. The Rolex of the 1950s and the Rolex of 2015 are very different animals. Not that Omega is appropriate, either.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Harmsway wrote:
jet set willy wrote:
I disagree. The Rolex of the 1950s and the Rolex of 2015 are very different animals. Not that Omega is appropriate, either.

I'm indifferent, I wear a Saxonia Automatic.

(in my dreams lol).
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Harmsway wrote:
jet set willy wrote:

The Aston Martin DB5 from 1964 and the new Aston Martin are very different animals too, but it still looks the part for Bond....so what's your point?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Nothing better than a row over wris****hes.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:

Well we know what you use your wrist for.

Wank wank....
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 8:19 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

Well we know what you use your wrist for.

Wank wank....

You know me so well, babe.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 9:12 pm

jet set willy wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
jet set willy wrote:

The Aston Martin DB5 from 1964 and the new Aston Martin are very different animals too, but it still looks the part for Bond....so what's your point?
Rolex and Aston Martin have been on very different paths since the 60s, though. The Aston Martin of 2015 is a tremendously rare and exclusive automobile. Rolex, on the other hand, has transformed into one of the world's largest watch manufacturers, producing nearly one million watches a year. It's one of the most well-recognized status symbols around, which has given the Rolex a kind of crass edge. What was originally a high-end, but nevertheless affordable timepiece that stood for quality and functionality has maneuvered itself into the luxury goods market as its popularity has increased, to the point where it's practically on autopilot (there's something musty about the brand, which hasn't innovated much since the 1960s; no Rolex model available today is anywhere near as contemporary as the very sexy Aston Martin DB10).

If the Bond of 2015 is to be wearing a Rolex Submariner (which, at $5000-$6000, costs more than double what an Omega Seamaster costs), there are more interesting, rarer watches in that price range that are worthier of that price tag. But even if you don't accept that argument, my feeling is that Bond should at least wear something a bit rarer, something that speaks to his discriminating tastes.

At the very least, Fleming's Bond--who, as Fleming clarified in a letter to a fan, originally wore relatively cheap wristwatches on expandable bands, before Fleming decided to give the character a Rolex modeled after Fleming's own Rolex Explorer--would probably not go for something so widely recognized as one of *the* status symbols of great wealth (particularly since Fleming's Bond didn't particularly hold the very wealthy in high regard). He'd go for something top-of-its-class in terms of craft, of course, but also something efficient and practical.

Still, Rolex does have a historical association with Bond, and I can understand that, for nostalgia's sake, many would like to see that association continue. In my case, though, my bias against Rolex is strong enough to thwart any nostalgic affection I might feel for the Rolex Submariner.

Largo's Shark wrote:
It's what the thread is for, innit?

Last edited by Harmsway on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 9:03 am

Harmsway wrote:
jet set willy wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
jet set willy wrote:

Rolex and Aston Martin have been on very different paths since the 60s, though. The Aston Martin of 2015 is a tremendously rare and exclusive automobile. Rolex, on the other hand, has transformed into one of the world's largest watch manufacturers, producing nearly one million watches a year. It's one of the most well-recognized status symbols around, which has given the Rolex a kind of crass edge. What was originally a high-end, but nevertheless affordable timepiece that stood for quality and functionality has maneuvered itself into the luxury goods market as its popularity has increased, to the point where it's practically on autopilot (there's something musty about the brand, which hasn't innovated much since the 1960s; no Rolex model available today is anywhere near as contemporary as the very sexy Aston Martin DB10).

If the Bond of 2015 is to be wearing a Rolex Submariner (which, at $5000-$6000, costs more than double what an Omega Seamaster costs), there are more interesting, rarer watches in that price range that are worthier of that price tag. But even if you don't accept that argument, my feeling is that Bond should at least wear something a bit rarer, something that speaks to his discriminating tastes.

At the very least, Fleming's Bond--who, as Fleming clarified in a letter to a fan, originally wore relatively cheap wristwatches on expandable bands, before Fleming decided to give the character a Rolex modeled after Fleming's own Rolex Explorer--would probably not go for something so widely recognized as one of *the* status symbols of great wealth (particularly since Fleming's Bond didn't particularly hold the very wealthy in high regard). He'd go for something top-of-its-class in terms of craft, of course, but also be efficient and practical.

Still, Rolex does have a historical association with Bond, and I can understand that, for nostalgia's sake, many would like to see that association continue. In my case, though, my bias against Rolex is strong enough to thwart any nostalgic affection I might feel for the Rolex Submariner.

Largo's Shark wrote:
It's what the thread is for, innit?

I'm surprised anyone would have such a strong bias towards Rolex. I still think its still the coolest watch you could buy. I have 3 Submariner fakes from Asia which look great (I cannot afford the real thing).

If it was good enough for Bond, Steve McQueen and Robert Redford, its good enough for me...... dance
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 am

jet set willy wrote:
I'm surprised anyone would have such a strong bias towards Rolex. I still think its still the coolest watch you could buy. I have 3 Submariner fakes from Asia which look great (I cannot afford the real thing).

If it was good enough for Bond, Steve McQueen and Robert Redford, its good enough for me...... dance
You're not alone. It's the most-imitated watch in the world, so it clearly got things right. It was an incredible watch. I'm just not sure it is an incredible watch anymore (Rolex hasn't even made the minor adjustments to keep its specs up with its peers; it's easily bested in construction by watches that are a quarter of its price tag). I'd be interested in owning a vintage Rolex, but the prospect of owning a new one doesn't get me very excited.

For the same amount of money, I'd much rather have a Bremont or a Jaeger-LeCoultre, or a couple of Grand Seikos or, yes, Omegas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Appropriate Product Placement for 007   Appropriate Product Placement for 007 Empty

Back to top Go down

Appropriate Product Placement for 007
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: