These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Oscars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 3 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:14 am

Think I'll be checking out American Sniper, my daughter wants to see it and it has an enormous box-office showing this weekend!

At the rate she's going, she'll be wanting her own gun soon.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:14 am

dr. strangelove wrote:
More bitching about the "lack of diversity".

http://awards.yahoo.com/post/108170908787/acting-oscar-nominations-are-all-white

EDIT: Don't worry, guys. Al Sharpton is on it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/al-sharpton-calls-emergency-meeting-210136185.html

When someone complains about the "lack of diversity", it usually means: "there aren't enough black people". Last year blacks were over-represented in the nominations; there were black people nominated for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, and Best Picture.

One year Halle Berry and Denzel Washington both took home an Oscar for Best Performance.

These things are cyclical. If you didn't complain last year about being over-represented, you shouldn't be complaining this year about being under-represented or not being represented at all.

I mean, they've got The BET Source Awards and The NAACP Image Awards. Why do they care about getting an Oscar nomination?

The Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture category is sexist and unfair; why aren't there any women in that category? Where are the transgender, intersex, and questioning actors and actresses? Where are the midgets? Why haven't any midgets been nominated this year?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150117/us--oscars-diversity-50cd32c75b.html

This ought to send a chill down the spine of everyone reading it, but some are simply too oblivious to understand what's at stake and are willingly and blindly going along with the "diversity" mantra, not reaizing they themselves will one day be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness; the very same political correctness they are currently for:

"Though she repeatedly stressed the Oscars are a competitive process and that she's proud of the year's nominees, Boone Isaacs acknowledged that diversity needs to be mandatory in both story and storyteller."

And with that statement alone, this is what we are all heading towards: a death camp of tolerance where we all make macaroni paintings of all races and sexual orientations:
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/153744/colorblind-fingerpainting

Back to top Go down
Xenia93
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:05 am

Somehow, no matter what thread topic, you always end up talking about the same exact thing.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:16 am

Xenia93 wrote:
Somehow, no matter what thread topic, you always end up talking about the same exact thing.

I RESPONDED to someone else who brought it up. What part of that do you have trouble understanding, or do you simply not care?

Furthermore it **IS** related to The Oscars, and it IS big news.

Come down off your cross, Xenia93. Other people need the wood.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:11 am

Xenia93, you should know better than to step on Gravy's toes when it comes to pointing out the short comings of black people.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:22 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Xenia93, you should know better than to step on Gravy's toes when it comes to pointing out the short comings of black people.

Exactly, Python!!! I totally agree with you. How dare I judge people by the content of their character rather than hand out a predetermined amount of Oscar nominations to people based upon nothing other than the color of their skin??? I'm wrong, I tell you. Wrong! I'm embarrassed and ashamed!
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:28 am

I understand the outrage though. The Oscars have never been about merit, so it's odd that they snubbed a major Oscar bait like SELMA.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:33 am

dr. strangelove wrote:
More bitching about the "lack of diversity".

EDIT: Don't worry, guys. Al Sharpton is on it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/al-sharpton-calls-emergency-meeting-210136185.html

Just to be perfectly, crystal clear.....with ALL of the problems facing black Americans, from 70% illegitimate birth rates, the incarceration rates of young black males, the rampant drug addiction, the refusal to get an education, the astronomical rates of black-on-black violence....****THIS**** is what Al Sharpton chooses to call an "emergency meeting" over?????????????????????????????? The lack of acting nominations for black people? Reeeeeeeeeeeealllllllly?

Maybe some of the benevolent whiteys on the board should read a page from Jason Riley's book:

.....................and stop patronizing and coddling black people like they are stuck in some sort of perpetual childhood needing an eternal lift and assist from white do-gooders. They CAN take care of themselves, no?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:35 am

We get it Gravy.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
I understand the outrage though. The Oscars have never been about merit, so it's odd that they snubbed a major Oscar bait like SELMA.

Yet these same people gave the Oscar to 12 YEARS A SLAVE last year, but this year "snubbed" SELMA? Ummmm, SELMA did receive an Oscar for Best Picture. How exactly was it "snubbed"?

So are they supposed to just give out an Oscar nomination each year to at least one black person/film? Affirmative action for little gold statues? Preferential set asides? Whatever happened to MLK's dream of a country that would judge people based on 'the content of their character (i.e. talent, merit, achievement) and not the color of their skin?'

Last year 12 Years A Slave won Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress, Best Score and Best Adapted Screenplay. This year the Oscars are "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist".

Or maybe SELMA just wasn't as good as some of the other pictures.

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
We get it Gravy.

No, you don't. Facts are very troublesome to you.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:48 am

SELMA is probably not as good, but that never stopped the Academy in the past.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:00 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
SELMA is probably not as good, but that never stopped the Academy in the past.

So really this is all about making sure that black artists have access to the same meaningless, merit-less rituals of an Oscar nomination/win as the rest of Hollywood? I get it. In your eyes blacks should be able to not truly win an Oscar on merit just as white people have won an Oscar not on just merit, but on popularity. Based upon that angle and perspective, I can see I was wrong about you. You do care. This is about equality after all; everybody is equal if everybody is not achieving something for the same reasons.

Makes perfect sense.

Let us now symbolically reach out across cyberspace, link arms, and sing Kumbaya.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:08 pm

No, it definitely should be about merit, but that has never been the Academy's MO.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Xenia93 wrote:

Amen. Like a bloody broken record.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
No, it definitely should be about merit, but that has never been the Academy's MO.

Honestly I'm not sure how anyone can take the Academy seriously. They nominated Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close for Best Picture. And yet I still know numerous people who put quite a lot of stock into them.

Makeshift Python wrote:

Apparently.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Xenia93 wrote:
Honestly I'm not sure how anyone can take the Academy seriously. They nominated Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close for Best Picture. And yet I still know numerous people who put quite a lot of stock into them.

Yup. I can't take them seriously anymore after that happened. It just showed how much of a bubble they are, and now I only watch the event because it's fun to rip it with friends and see people get wasted on the show. It's like a carnival.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Xenia93 wrote:

Yup. I can't take them seriously anymore after that happened. It just showed how much of a bubble they are, and now I only watch the event because it's fun to rip it with friends and see people get wasted on the show. It's like a carnival.

So you're upset because a show and an organization that you can't stand and have no respect for failed to properly nominate a film that, by your own admission, probably wasn't as good, on the whole, as the other films nominated, and somehow this is a problem that must be chalked up to racism?

bang head
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Uh, no. I'm not at all upset, just perplexed.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Xenia93 wrote:

Yeah exactly! I was just telling someone yesterday that the best word to describe them is "amusing."
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Idris Elba should've played Alan Turing.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:18 pm

The nominees are very white and most of them are undeserving.

Oprah Winfrey in SELMA, for instance, was miles better than Keira Knightley in THE IMITATION GAME. If you think I'm joking, then I highly suggest watching both films and comparing the performances.

In the past, I probably wouldn't have cared much about this issue. However, if you put yourself in the shoes of an actor, actress, director, writer, or someone who truly gives a fuck about the medium as an art form, then you'd realize that these awards do matter to some people.

For an organization that is allegedly dedicated to "motion picture arts and sciences", they don't do a very good job of awarding artists for their immense talent and hard work. Mr. Hitchcock, Mr. Kubrick or Mr. Herrmann would have been able to tell you that--three of the greatest artists of the 20th century (off the top of my head) who were fucked over by The Academy on more than several occasions.

The Golden Globes, on the other hand, seem more like an excuse to hang with Bill Murray and get plastered.

Al Sharpton's "emergency meeting" was totally ridiculous, though. Talk about a bloodsucker and misery monger.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:13 am

Control wrote:
The nominees are very white and most of them are undeserving.

Oprah Winfrey in SELMA, for instance, was miles better than Keira Knightley in THE IMITATION GAME. If you think I'm joking, then I highly suggest watching both films and comparing the performances.

There may be some anti-Oprah bias involved. She was considered a certainty for a Supporting Actress nomination last year for THE BUTLER and didn't receive one; in fact, the movie got out-muscled by TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE. She's also seen as more of a television personality and not a film personality, which may hurt her chances as both a producer and among other acting guilds. And, let's face it, just about every major film or television-film project that I can think of off hand that she's been involved in as an actress has involved playing a slave, being discriminated against based on race, poor, or all of the above. Her biggest projects were THE COLOR PURPLE, BELOVED, WOMEN OF BREWSTER PLACE, THE BUTLER and SELMA. It's not exactly what I'd call a wide range of work.

Quote :

In the past, I probably wouldn't have cared much about this issue. However, if you put yourself in the shoes of an actor, actress, director, writer, or someone who truly gives a fuck about the medium as an art form, then you'd realize that these awards do matter to some people.

They don't matter to me. I despise Hollywood with the white-hot intensity of a million suns. I despise the red-carpet parties, the obsessive fawning over celebrities, the cult of personality, the grandstanding on the stage, people thanking their 2 month old baby for this award, the political speeches, the bigotry and intolerance of Hollywood aimed at anybody that doesn't march lock-step with the issues they care about. If the San Andreas fault suddenly opened up and swallowed H'wood whole, I would not shed one salty tear upon my pillow tonight.

Quote :

For an organization that is allegedly dedicated to "motion picture arts and sciences", they don't do a very good job of awarding artists for their immense talent and hard work. Mr. Hitchcock, Mr. Kubrick or Mr. Herrmann would have been able to tell you that--three of the greatest artists of the 20th century (off the top of my head) who were fucked over by The Academy on more than several occasions.

The Golden Globes, on the other hand, seem more like an excuse to hang with Bill Murray and get plastered.

Al Sharpton's "emergency meeting" was totally ridiculous, though. Talk about a bloodsucker and misery monger.

Black people are between 12-13% of the U.S. population. For the Oscars to statistically represent black talent each and every award season, they'd have to open up each of the major categories to at least 10 different nominees. 10 Best Actor nominees, 10 Best Actress nominees, 10 Best Supporting actor nominees.....for blacks to even have a shot, and we haven't even discussed Native American, Asian, Pacific-Islander, and Hispanic talent. With 10 nominees you water down the talent pool, which is why I was against the idea of increasing the pool of nominees for Best Picture.

The Academy *IS* 77% white and male (not that there is anything wrong with that). But it IS going to reflect the interests, tastes, and preferences, usually, of the people who are the members. If the public doesn't agree with that, they are free to go out and create their own awards show; one that is more diverse than the Oscars. Why are the hopes and dreams and life-aspirations and self-esteem issues of an entire minority population somehow bound up to whether their cinematic work is validated by a bunch of older white men?

And last, but not least, I will remind everybody about the "Sony...Idris Elba thread", where I was constantly reminded that talent only should decide whether Elba or any other black actor gets the role of Bond: same goes for the Academy Award nominations. "Talent" is subjective; hiring Elba would be subjective, and these nominations are subjective. If people don't like either, they are free to create a new awards show or create a new superhero.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:45 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
And, let's face it, just about every major film or television-film project that I can think of off hand that she's been involved in as an actress has involved playing a slave, being discriminated against based on race, poor, or all of the above. Her biggest projects were THE COLOR PURPLE, BELOVED, WOMEN OF BREWSTER PLACE, THE BUTLER and SELMA. It's not exactly what I'd call a wide range of work.

Compared to Keira Knightley's biggest projects: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST and PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END. Oh, and the piss-poor adaptations that she's made with Joe Wright.

It's not exactly what I'd call a wide range of work.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:35 am

Control wrote:
Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
And, let's face it, just about every major film or television-film project that I can think of off hand that she's been involved in as an actress has involved playing a slave, being discriminated against based on race, poor, or all of the above. Her biggest projects were THE COLOR PURPLE, BELOVED, WOMEN OF BREWSTER PLACE, THE BUTLER and SELMA. It's not exactly what I'd call a wide range of work.

Compared to Keira Knightley's biggest projects: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST and PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END. Oh, and the piss-poor adaptations that she's made with Joe Wright.

It's not exactly what I'd call a wide range of work.

Perhaps, but she hasn't been nominated for those films either. I'm merely putting out the possibility that there may be unstated bias that has nothing to do with racism. When Tom Hanks played a gay character in PHILADELPHIA, it's considered a stretch of his acting talent (because he's portraying something he's not). Harvey Feirstein playing a gay character....not so much of a stretch.

Sandra Bullock playing an isolated astronaut...a stretch...Oprah Winfrey playing a black woman dealing with racism in 1960's Alabama...not as big a stretch.

Can we at least all agree that Rosamund Pike should win for Best Actress? And yes, it has nothing to do with talent, but because she's hot and one of my favorite Bond Girls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars   

Back to top Go down

The Oscars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: