These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

++++

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: ++++   Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 pm

+

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Are they truly arguing that famine is a problem of the past?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:23 am

The Beeb still has the Proms (incredible value for money), BBC Radio 4 and 3 (the former has some decent programming despite smug, unfunny shite like The News Quiz), Top Gear is childish but entertaining, I enjoyed Rev, and EastEnders is one of my guilty pleasures (laugh all you want). But yeah, I'd say it's outlived its usefulness, especially when one of its key doctrines--to enlighten and inform the masses--has been largely abandoned.
Back to top Go down
Flush
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Yes, the BBC teeters on the brink and then they only go and pull off The Proms and (most if not all of) its sports coverage and it always seems then to justify itself. Its news coverage can bog off, though.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 pm

The US Postal Service is on its way out.

Q3 Release: http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2014/pr14_043.htm
Fiscal 2014 Release: http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2014/pr14_059.htm

Revenues grew 2% in Q3 but "a large portion of the increased revenue in package delivery comes from contracts with FedEx and United Parcel Service."
$5.5 billion in losses in 2014.
$10 billion needed to replace their fleet in the next 4 years.
"...unable to make the required $5.7 billion retiree health benefit prefunding payment to the U.S. Treasury, due by Sept. 30, 2014."

That's fine with me, though. All you'll need to do is to walk into a USPS office in Brooklyn to realize that they need to be closed down forever. During the last five years, I've only had piss-poor experiences at multiple locations, each being comparable to an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 2 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 am

Control wrote:

Fiscal 2014 Release: http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2014/pr14_059.htm

Revenues grew 2% in Q3 but "a large portion of the increased revenue in package delivery comes from contracts with FedEx and United Parcel Service."
"...unable to make the required $5.7 billion retiree health benefit prefunding payment to the U.S. Treasury, due by Sept. 30, 2014."

That's fine with me, though. All you'll need to do is to walk into a USPS office in Brooklyn to realize that they need to be closed down forever. During the last five years, I've only had piss-poor experiences at multiple locations, each being comparable to an episode of the Twilight Zone.

90%+ of my Ebay packages are by USPS...do yours arrive late or with terrible tracking? My arrivals at Miami seem to be okay with no lost packages in the past 5 or so years.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Control wrote:

90%+ of my Ebay packages are by USPS...do yours arrive late or with terrible tracking? My arrivals at Miami seem to be okay with no lost packages in the past 5 or so years.

Yeah, they're pathetic. My last eBay purchase was from Ithaca, New York, which is 3.5 hours away. It somehow took seven days for that package to arrive. I would have been better off driving there and picking it up. Fuck, a train would have been faster.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Public broadcasting. Public postal services. The United Nations. The Hague...
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Control wrote:

I went into a USPS facility a few months ago and it was absolutely dead as a doornail; felt like a haunted mansion; a relic of a by-gone era. Yet they insist on keeping it open.

The problem(s) with the USPS is that, like any other government run institution (and that's what it is, despite their insistence that they are independently run), not only is it not required to be productive or solvent, but it also is a pet project for almost every Senator and Congressperson from each of the 50 states. The workforce is mostly unionized, so you know they have heavy backing from the Democrats. But you'd be hard pressed to find a Republican who will call for a post office closing either. No one wants to be on record as supporting the closing of a post office...even though it is abundantly clear the organization has outlived its usefulness, is a financial black hole, and will NEVER, EVER be profitable EVER AGAIN (if it ever was to begin with).

So American tax payers will continue to be on the hook for funding the USPS in perpetuity. There is no rationale keeping this organization propped up anymore.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:28 am

Dunno why, especially as I've never sent or received one (and indeed may have never even met anyone who has), but I'm strangely saddened by the almost complete extinction of the telegram. I'm being serious, by the way.
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:57 am

Yahoo? It would appear so.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:40 pm

The United States
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
The United States

Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 pm

=

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: ++++   Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Interestingly, there has been a discussion as to whether or not this is a problem unique to Oxfam and those in the know agree that this kind of stuff is pretty much the norm among some of the people working directly in disaster zones.

One individual (Dirk Draulans) over here was demonized for asking the question whether or not it was a big deal that a man working in a disaster zone paid for sex.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ++++   

Back to top Go down

++++
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: News & Current Affairs-
Jump to: