These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The UK General Election 2015

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Thu May 07, 2015 10:54 pm

There's an election party on round the corner. Didn't think I'd bother going as it was all cut and dried, but maybe this will be worth staying up for after all. Gonna grab a bottle, speak to you all tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 12:05 am

Daily Mirror seems quite bereft.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 12:47 am

Looks like Wallace has fucked it. Guess he'll have to retire to a quiet life of bestial relations with Gromit.

Labour should put up a Muslim leader next time. No danger of bacon-related gaffes.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 3:45 am

Recommend The Grauniad's live election map.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2015/may/07/live-uk-election-results-in-full

To state the obvious, the SNP gains in Scotland look devastating for the reds.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 8:17 am

So has this made a Brexit less or more likely?
I'm guessing that UKIP needed more of a platform in terms of their actual representation for that to be a real possibility? Or is there enough of a movement already that only UKIP seriously campaigning for it in the lead-up to the referendum would be enough?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 8:42 am

Largo's Shark wrote:

To state the obvious, the SNP gains in Scotland look devastating for the reds.

Doesn't it also all but guarantee Scottish independence in the not so distant future?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 am

Salomé wrote:
So has this made a Brexit less or more likely?

Hard to say. Cameron is committed to a referendum if EU fails to reform. The trick will be that those reforms will be agreed with Berlin in advance. The question is, can Germany whip the rest of the EU to accommodate the UK? No one can pretend that Britain or Cameron are popular in EU.  Indeed, France might positively welcome Brexit.

Latest news is that Ed Balls has lost his seat and Nigel Farage didn't win his. Now Farage - clearly not a well man -says he will go, as will Miliband if he's got any sense. In terms of votes, UKIP is the third largest party in England yet won only one seat. Electoral reform is clearly necessary, but I think Cameron will push for boundary changes rather than proportional representation.

All in all, a fascinating but messy election result that has made a nonsense of the pundits and the polls; they were right about Scotland, but precious little else. Maybe Nicola Sturgeon wasn't so clever to rule out working with the Conservatives after all.

TBC.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 11:32 am

All that said, a spectacular result for the Conservatives that I'm only beginning to digest.

Looks like they will end up with 330 seats (326 is the minimum to govern without a coalition). Seems they will also have seen off the leaders of Labour, UKIP and the LibDems.

Analysis of the campaign is needed. Labour were mistaken to think this was about the NHS, while the Tories seem to have fought with great effectiveness in the marginals.

Clegg has just resigned; Farage went 10 minutes ago. Here's an interesting titbit: not a single female LibDem MP survived the election.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 11:56 am

Lots of hugely embarrassing articles for future historians to laugh at. This one from yesterday, written by, ahem, historian Niall Ferguson is a cracker:

Quote :
It was Clare Booth Luce, the witty and glamorous wife of the publisher of Time magazine, who coined the phrase that no good deed goes unpunished. It is all you need to know about British politics today.

The UK had the best performing of the G7 economies last year, with a real GDP growth rate of 2.6%. In 2009, the last full year of Labour government, the figure was -4.3%. The coalition formed five years ago by Conservative leader David Cameron and the Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg inherited an almighty mess from Gordon Brown, who had presided over feckless public sector expansion and reckless disregard for bank leverage and mismanagement. Five years ago, according to the Bank for International Settlements, the UK’s fiscal and financial trajectories were the worst in Europe.

Since then, confounding the doom-laden prophecies of Paul Krugman, Martin Wolf, Robert Skidelsky and the entire left-wing media, there has been a remarkable turnaround. More than 1.9 million jobs have been created since May 2010. UK unemployment is 5.6%, roughly half the rates in Italy and France. Weekly earnings are up by more than 8%; in the private sector, the figure is above 10% Meanwhile, inflation is below 2% and falling. Retail price inflation is currently running at 0.9% year on year.

Few governments since 1945 have achieved comparable economic results from such a difficult starting point. If democracy were a just system, the Conservatives would be looking forward to a resounding election victory and a return to one-party majority rule.

But, as they say in London, chance would be a fine thing. Not for the first time in British history – it happened in 1945, 1964, 1974 and 1997 – the electorate feels that, after doing what had to be done under the Conservatives, it can now indulge itself with a flutter on Labour, which remains, incorrigibly, the party that promises to spend more on the welfare state by taxing the rich.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/no-good-deed-goes-unpunished-in-british-politics/
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Final pissing-in-the-wind observations:

Labour leadership campaign is underway, but with no obvious winners.

The Guardian has called the British electorate evil.

UKIP got as many votes as the SNP, but 50 less seats.

I've never seen anyone as relieved to lose as Nigel Farage.

The EU will now have to face Cameron after all.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Final pissing-in-the-wind observations:

Labour leadership campaign is underway, but with no obvious winners.

The Guardian has called the British electorate evil.

UKIP got as many votes as the SNP, but 50 less seats.

I've never seen anyone as relieved to lose as Nigel Farage.

The EU will now have to face Cameron after all.

From what I have read, the majority of London-based businesses abhor the thought of a Brexit.
So how does Cameron juggle his own party's wishes (or at the very least the strong-held beliefs of what appear to be at least 50-60 of his MPs) and the behemoths of the British economy?
I don't see any scenario in which he isn't forced to disappoint at least some of his allies.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 1:05 pm

So I guess what follows now is a staring contest in which both Cameron and Juncker hope the other one blinks first?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 1:10 pm

Oh good, there's someone else out there. smile

The first attempt by the pollsters to justify themselves:

http://survation.com/snatching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory/
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Salomé wrote:
From what I have read, the majority of London-based businesses abhor the thought of a Brexit.

Maybe. But as Labour's strong performance in London shows, the capital is no longer remotely representative of England. It's now full of latter-day Shanghailanders.

FWIW, there's two silly conspiracy theories doing the rounds:

1.Labour was destroyed by an unholy alliance between the SNP and tories.

2. The tories will give the SNP everything it demands except for Trident removal; the Leninist 'Give em enough rope' approach.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 pm

Succinct piece by the BBC's Nick Robinson, political editor:

Quote :
Not since the fall of Thatcher or the Blair landslide has there been a political moment quite like this one.
Bitter disappointment for Ed Miliband and a political disaster for Nick Clegg are sure to lead to months of soul-searching for their parties as they mourn the loss of some of their most famous faces - felled by a brutal electoral firing squad.
Personal triumphs for Prime Minister David Cameron and for Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will not just reshape British politics but could perhaps reshape the future of the United Kingdom itself.
The question is how two leaders, how two countries - who now stand for such different things - can live together or whether they will find that this is impossible.
This is the opening night of an extraordinary drama whose conclusion is utterly unknowable.

David Cowling, editor, BBC Political Research Unit, on the failure of the pollsters:
Quote :

I monitored 91 GB-wide voting intention polls during the 2015 election campaign and found nothing in them to prepare me for the final outcome.
The good news for the pollsters was that their share for the Lib Dems was pretty close, as were the shares for UKIP, the Greens and the catch-all category of Others.
The bad news for the polling industry was that the crucial shares for Conservative and Labour were the ones where they came most adrift.
When all the qualifications of margins of error are allowed, there did appear to be a systematic overstatement of the Labour share and an equally systematic understatement of the Conservative one.
It is for the pollsters to decide whether to conduct a review of their performance but I trust they will avoid the initial knee-jerk reaction of the immediate aftermath of the 1992 polls debacle.
This general election performance follows the performance of the polls in the 2014 Scottish referendum where the choice was simply binary and yet all the polls were out by between 4-6%.
Something is wrong. A lot of us would like to know what it is.

Finally, BBC's Europe editor, Katya Adler writes:

Quote :
"Governments had already been discussing a possible framework for renegotiating Britain's relationship with the EU behind closed doors. Now that talk will go public.

"Certainly at next month's summit here in Brussels. The countdown starts now. Mr Cameron has promised a referendum in 2017... and Brussels is hardly known for speedy decision-making. Expect quite some flexibility: few countries want to see the UK's burgeoning economy leave the fold.

"But there will be limits, possibly over people's freedom to live and work anywhere in the EU. European federalists will be worrying that Britain's desire for 'less Brussels' will now be echoed elsewhere, leading to an unravelling of the EU as they know it, or dream it could and should be."
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 3:44 pm

I don't see how Scotland can persist as part of the UK - at least in the long term - after that SNPs result.
As someone who is skeptical about Belgium's own possible separation (I can't see it ever happening), I do know that the country would be more or less done with if the Flemish separatists ever got a similar result to the one SNP just achieved.

Of course there are differences both electorally and in terms of the regions standing towards the larger nation (by which I mean that Flanders is far more integral to Belgium's survival and continued existence than Scotland is to the UK, just in terms of the economics).
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

Finally, BBC's Europe editor, Katya Adler writes:

Quote :
"Governments had already been discussing a possible framework for renegotiating Britain's relationship with the EU behind closed doors. Now that talk will go public.

"Certainly at next month's summit here in Brussels. The countdown starts now. Mr Cameron has promised a referendum in 2017... and Brussels is hardly known for speedy decision-making. Expect quite some flexibility: few countries want to see the UK's burgeoning economy leave the fold.

"But there will be limits, possibly over people's freedom to live and work anywhere in the EU. European federalists will be worrying that Britain's desire for 'less Brussels' will now be echoed elsewhere, leading to an unravelling of the EU as they know it, or dream it could and should be."

Not sure if any other country bar Greece has a high enough level of Euro-skepticism that might make a departure from the EU feasible.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Fri May 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Salomé wrote:
I don't see how Scotland can persist as part of the UK - at least in the long term - after that SNPs result.

A referendum on independence was held just six months ago and the Scots rejected it. And although the SNP did very well in this general election, 45% of Scottish votes were still cast for other parties. (If PR were brought in, the Scottish landscape would look very different.) Maybe federalism rather than unionism is the way forward here.

I'd add that Nicola Sturgeon's gameplan was that the SNP would have great power over Labour in a hung parliament. Precisely what power it will be able to wield now that the Conservatives have a majority we'll have to see. Also if you're going to take a longterm view, bear in mind that until yesterday the SNP only had six Westminster seats. (Sixty years ago the Tories were the biggest party in Scotland with the same % vote as the SNP got yesterday.)

Incidentally, there's an SNP electoral leaflet doing the rounds that says 'Vote SNP - lock the Tories out'. Well, that went to plan ...
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Mon May 11, 2015 1:39 pm

While I tend to agree it was probably a vote led by fears of the alternative (either Labour and/or SNP), it is interesting that the council elections have reflected a similar pattern (where the SNP is surely not a factor).

All is all a surprising election where I feel we have got the best of a bad bunch rather than an outright win.

Sorry to see the Lib Dems get so trounced, they did what was needed of them (and as a party that favours AV has to be routinely accepted) and probably had a greater effect on British Policy than at any time in the last 50 years (the Lib-Lab pact was hardly competition).

I'd love to see some serious voting reform there are systems that can preserve a degree of 'first past the post' election for a local representative and a top up of PR seats...moving forward the last government was at least represented of more than 60% of the voters wishes (to some degree) whereas here we are back to the fact that rule comes from a party 63% of the country didn't vote for.

I quite enjoyed the coverage though wheeling out fossils like Paddy Ashdown, Norman Tebbit and Douglas Hurd is surely as inappropriate as Hurds comment about Scot's MP's.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Never heard of a party leader tendering their resignation and the party's head honchos rejecting it before, but it's happened to Farage.
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Mon May 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Realistically who else is there but Farage?
Back to top Go down
HJackson
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 am

Steven Woolfe and Suzanne Evans are both excellent.
Back to top Go down
Staugust
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Tue May 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Back to top Go down
SarahN
Correspondent
Correspondent

Location : For it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Thu May 14, 2015 3:38 pm

I wasn't all that surprised by the Tory win, I've been saying for some time we should never underestimate the Tories and their potential to turn the game. Lots of people I know voted for them to prevent a UKIP candidate. The only thing that really amazed me was Farage, Clegg and Miliband all taking the exit door, I didn't see that coming. Though it's somehow less surprising Farage's door may turn out to be revolving after all. Or not, we'll see.

Now for a fast EU referendum, 2017 was indeed much too long in the future. As is even 2016 seems distant now. Why ever don't they try to set it for December of this year? Is it really so complicated to arrange a simple question for the electorate that it takes more than six months to print the ballot? To me all the essential details seem already spread out by both sides, (nice levelheaded summary here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/14/brexit-what-would-happen-if-britain-left-eu-european-union-referendum-uk ) so why not cut all the pointless gerrymandering by the usual biased suspects and let the people decide right now? Whatever it will turn out to be, we'll have to live with the consequences anyway, might as well get used to it right now.

Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

The referendum was always dependent on new proposals for the new treaty - theoretically the decision has to be about opting in to what the EU-UK agreement will be into the future, rather than a verdict on what it 'has been'/'is now' (whether people will give it such credence is of course debatable, most have probably already made up their minds).

In any event I imagine the 2017 date will bring with it consequences that can be deferred to the next government....both an opt-out for the current one and perhaps an opportunity to put a manifesto to the people for the next.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The UK General Election 2015   

Back to top Go down

The UK General Election 2015
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: News & Current Affairs-
Jump to: