More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films

Go down 
+6
SarahN
Makeshift Python
Strangways&Quarrel
Control
Jack Wade
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 2:10 am

The covers look like absolute shit.

Sticking with my $99 blu-ray box set that I got from Amazon a couple or so years ago.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 am

The steelbook covers for OHMSS and YOLT are the best sleeve art either film has had in over 20 years, in fact best EVER for OHMSS, enough to finally prompt me to order it on Blu Ray. The other steelbook sleeves (CR aside) are a bit unremarkable, but some of the individual re-release sleeves are okay, especially the Connery ones (great to see YOLT finally having the poster title font restored after 20+ years), but unfortunately the sleeve designer clearly gave up when he/she reached the Moore era, with a notoriously bad touch-up job on LALD and bad photo selections for pretty much every subsequent sleeve. Beats the sh*t out of me why more dynamic, striking or iconic photos weren't used, for example Bond and Scaramanga back to back with guns raised for TMWTGG, Moore in his shoulder holster get-up for LALD, ditto Brosnan for TND. In fact, the Brosnan ones are so poor to the point of pisstake that they really should have gone the whole way and used a classic painface shot for each of the four sleeves (cue our best photoshoppers here to oblige on that!)... But yeah, mostly a very poor show this. A price reduction would have been nice too.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 12:30 pm

(…)

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 11:44 pm

I'm buying these (minus CR and QOS) this week. I sold my Bond DVD collection a few years back. I didn't go for the 50th anniversary Blu-Ray set, as I probably wouldn't even touch half of them.

Along with DN and TLD, these are really the only Bond films I ever bother watching.

I can post some photos of the sets if anyone's interested.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 9:24 am

Beats me why DN wasn't chosen ahead of FYEO for steelbook, or at least added to the steelbook set. The titles chosen are supposed to be all of the films in which SPECTRE feature. Dr No is the very first cinematic Bond representative of SPECTRE, while all FYEO offers SPECTRE-wise is an uncredited Blofeld dumped down a chimneystack before the film's proper plot has even begun. Plus, a DN steelbook would have looked really cool, given the vibrant colours of the title sequence compared to the far less vibrant FYEO sequence.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:43 pm

It must've come down to choosing seven SPECTRE titles that would generate the most cash. They figured FYEO would outperform DN, even if it was a stretch. Blatant ignorance.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Control wrote:
It must've come down to choosing seven SPECTRE titles that would generate the most cash. They figured FYEO would outperform DN, even if it was a stretch. Blatant ignorance.

Or it could be that Eon wanted all the Bonds that encountered Spectre to be represented and Moore's only contact with Blofeld was in FYEO.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 11:23 pm

That was kind of them to include Sir Roger, but I still don't see why they couldn't include DN in the set. Obviously a money issue.

Maybe I'll just spend my money on a Blu-Ray of "Big Mouthfuls 26" instead. Mandy Haze in hi-def.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Haze in hi-def? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am

Sh*t, I ordered Laze in hi-def by mistake :-(
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 5:43 am

I assumed DN was part of the steelbook collection. This is a glaring omission.

Doesn't matter to me I suppose. I already have the Bond 50 set anyway.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 4:38 pm

I own these now, minus CR and QOS.

The cases are nice, but the discs are the same as the previous Blu-Ray issues. Nice collector's items, until Blu-Ray goes out of style.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Wish all of the standard bluray sleeves could have the same fronts and spines as the steelbooks, using the main title imagery, at least until they ever restore the original poster artwork.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:57 pm

I'm fine with them just using the fonts from the original posters rather than the VHS '90s fonts.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
Wish all of the standard bluray sleeves could have the same fronts and spines as the steelbooks, using the main title imagery, at least until they ever restore the original poster artwork.

Yep - surprised it hasn't happened earlier.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 pm

Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 53935_front
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 11:25 pm

Trying to apply that minimalist aesthetic from the Craig films onto the older films is offputting. Though I actually do like the covers for FRWL, GF and OHMSS. That's when they work.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 am

Control wrote:
Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 53935_front

So deep n' gritty. Certainly befits a film that features a 15 year old girl who wants to ride Roger Moore's ice cream cone.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 8:22 am

CJB wrote:

So deep n' gritty.

And with the current hardon for helicopters thoroughly capitalised on...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films   Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelbook blu-rays for selected Bond films
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next