More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration Empty
PostSubject: The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration   The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 2:41 pm

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/orson-welles-restored-the-third-man-set-for-u-s-release-1201488365/

Old article, but I wanted to post it because I caught a screening of the film last weekend. StudioCanal and Deluxe did a great job with this.

I enjoy how the setting of post-war Vienna plays out as a supporting character in the film. I don't think the film would be as charming without the ruined buildings, the ferris wheel or the cobble stone streets. Welles has a small role, so I'm not sure why everyone cites this as one of his best performances. The real stars are Cotten (one of my favorite actors), Trevor Howard and Bernard Lee. The civilians (the porter, the little boy, Anna's landlady) are also important characters, which was an interesting creative decision by Reed.

The main theme is a versatile piece, too, being used for both exciting scenes and somber scenes. Very effective.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration   The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 5:17 pm

Wish I could catch a screening for this. Very fascinated to see the job they did on it. The Criterion blu-ray looks great, but whatever print they used looked pretty worn compared to other films from that era.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration   The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 am

The point of Welles' Lime (from those who appreciate the performance) is its impactfulness in spite of his limited screentime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration   The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration Empty

Back to top Go down

The Third Man -- 4K Digital Restoration
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: