These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 2 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
However, Merkel's recklessness is endangering everyone else in Europe as well. The only positive in this mess is that it led indirectly to Brexit.

Wish there was an option two. I know Trump doesn't like her (and vice versa)
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:

Germany's past crimes are of such magnitude they're unforgivable, which makes it hard for me not to feel the country's disappearance would be a positive thing.

That's a bit harsh.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
Salomé wrote:
Define like?
but I don't really identify ideologically with her.

That's what I meant.

But do you think she's the best choice for Germany right now?

Well what I meant was more that she is perceived as a bleeding heart liberal in the Anglosphere when she is actually a conservative politician.
Hence why she voted against gay marriage, for instance. I would never vote for her were I german, since I lean liberal on social issues.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

Germany's past crimes are of such magnitude they're unforgivable, which makes it hard for me not to feel the country's disappearance would be a positive thing.

That's a bit harsh.

1871: Germany founded. Invades France three times in 70 years, causing tens of millions of deaths in Europe.

1941 to 1945: Attempts and almost succeeds in the extermination of the most gifted and over-achieving people the world has ever seen.

1990: Germany reunified against British and Soviet wishes.

1990: Artificially high German interest rates causes European Exchange Rate Mechanism crash and plunge UK and much of EU into recession.

1991: Germany recognises Croatia and Slovenia, causing Yugoslav Wars.

1999:At German insistence, Schengen Agreement to abolish borders becomes part of European law. Compulsory for all new EU members.

2002: Euro introduced by Europäische Zentralbank: Portugal, Greece, Italy and Spain quickly reduced to basket cases. Ireland follows. Over that decade, Germany takes control of their national budgets.

2012 Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement causes 2014 revolution in the Ukraine and undermines Russia.

2015: Germany lets in more than one million economic migrants from the Middle East and Africa without consulting other countries in Schengen Area.

2016: Brexit: England and Wales tell Germany to fuck off.

TBC
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 pm

So you believe Yugoslavia would still be a country to this day if not for Germany?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 am

Salomé wrote:
So you believe Yugoslavia would still be a country to this day if not for Germany?

The best writing gig I ever had was way back in 1989, when I pointed out to some suit at a monthly magazine that there were 12 EEC members and 12 issues a year. I spent 1990 profiling Europe with full expenses and the real freedom people only had before the mobile phone and internet.

One of the outfits I visited was Jugotron. It was immediately apparent that Yugoslavia was an entirely artificial construct headed for civil war (hmmm - it reminds me of something) so, no, Germany didn't cause the breakup. However, when Berlin broke ranks with the other EEC members and recognised Croatia and Slovenia just to demonstrate its born-again power it dramatically accelerated the disintegration and led to the deaths of thousands. Thank God for US air power.

And that's the only bit of my potted history you question?  ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:51 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

The best writing gig I ever had was way back in 1989, when I pointed out to some suit at a monthly magazine that there were 12 EEC members and 12 issues a year. I spent 1990 profiling Europe with full expenses and the real freedom people only had before the mobile phone and internet.

One of the outfits I visited was Jugotron. It was immediately apparent that Yugoslavia was an entirely artificial construct headed for civil war (hmmm - it reminds me of something) so, no, Germany didn't cause the breakup. However, when Berlin broke ranks with the other EEC members and recognised Croatia and Slovenia just to demonstrate its born-again power it dramatically accelerated the disintegration and led to the deaths of thousands. Thank God for US air power.

And that's the only bit of my potted history you question?  ROTFLMAO

No, but it's the one I chose to engage you in.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:04 am

Salomé wrote:
No, but it's the one I chose to engage you in.
Vanity, thy name is woman.

Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Allowing Germany to remain a state after 1945 was obviously a huge mistake. But hey, they had a big wall and David Hasselhoff went and sang on it and stuff so I guess they had it pretty tough too.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 pm

CJB wrote:
hey, they had a big wall

Only Daenerys Targaryen can save us now.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 am

The National Review says lay off the krauts. Blame the frogs.
Quote :

Britain’s fundamental problem through the years — from Harold Macmillan, to Margaret Thatcher, to David Cameron, to Theresa May — has been its tendency to expect rationality, especially economic rationality, to carry the day in European decision-making. The British have persistently underrated the extent to which Europe is fundamentally a political enterprise, and overrated the extent to which Anglo–German economic ties will lead Germany to take Britain’s side against French political ambitions. The British remain convinced that Europe’s problems can be solved if only everyone will be reasonable. It is an admirable conviction, but it fundamentally misunderstands a European project that is based on ideological conviction rather than rationality.

Fundamentally — as leaked E.U. documents about the U.S. negotiations confirm — the E.U. has an inferiority complex when it comes to dealing with countries and institutions in its weight class. When you put the E.U.’s desire to justify, reaffirm, and strengthen its political existence together with Britain’s desire to separate while maintaining close economic ties and a friendly political relationship, you have a tenuous basis for an agreement. Frankly, if Britain and Brussels were capable of negotiating a reasonable Brexit deal, Britain would probably never have voted to leave the E.U. in the first place.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/brexit-biggest-problem-european-commission-intransigence/
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 am

Millennials think Brexit is about the ending of their right to clean floors in Starbucks in 28 different states... colgate

Quote :
Italy’s election result shouldn’t be a shock. The populist revolution has just begun
Rod Liddle

The furore which greeted the Italian elections has been heightened by the sudden realisation that 2017 has gone, disappeared — and with it the illusion that after the horrible, terrifying tumult of 2016, things had at last got back on track. The liberal order had re-established itself. The liberals were immensely cheered by 2017, primarily by the victory of Emmanuel Macron in the French presidential elections, but also by the failure of Geert Wilders to make much of a dent in the Dutch elections, as well as the bloody nose afforded to Theresa May in June of that year.

But this ignores the fact that three of the leading candidates who contested the French elections were avowedly populist, even if the eventual winner was merely faux-populist. It ignores the fact that in the Dutch elections the establishment liberals were once again annihilated.

And it ignores the fact that the only unambiguously pro-Remain party in England, the Liberal Democrats, managed to capture a total of 12 seats in our own general election. It ignores Angela Merkel’s humiliations and the rise of the AfD in Germany, and the Austrian election results. So the tide had not turned, as they believed. It is still coming in and will be coming in for the foreseeable future. If you think the populist revolution which has gripped continental Europe and the US is finished, think again. It has only just started.

An opinion poll back in October suggested that 60 per cent of Italians wanted very tough restrictions on immigration into their country. That is absolutely in line with other opinion polls across Europe. It is remarkable that Europe’s liberal elite has not grasped this fact; even if Merkel has of late. The people of Europe do not want any more immigration on the scale we have seen in the past five years. That is the principal reason they are voting for populist leaders and why they will continue to do so.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/italys-election-result-shouldnt-be-a-shock-the-populist-revolution-has-just-begun/
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm not sure that Angela Merkel was humiliated in these latest elections. If anything, after so many years of CDU rule, the fact that no other party was able to break their hegemony was a failure on their part. Especially with the supposedly unpopular decision to let in so many refugees. Frankly, failure to defeat a nearly 13-year incumbent coming off a term in which she took one of the most controversial decisions in her country's recent history is a bit pathetic on behalf of the other German parties, especially the SPD.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Fascinating article in The Washington Post on religion and the EU. The more religious you are the more likely you are to support the EU. Unless you're a protestant of course:

Quote :
Protestants saw the nation state as very important for guaranteeing their liberty. For people in the Nordic states and the United Kingdom, the continent was the source of instability and of hegemony, and that’s part of why they developed a strong commitment to the nation and to national sovereignty — this was really the main vehicle for defence against, first, expanding Catholic control in the 16th and 17th centuries, and then, later on, Napoleon and Hitler.

Romans, Nazis, papists, useless idiots, lend me your ears.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/01/12/protestants-dont-like-the-european-union-compared-to-catholics-this-is-why/?utm_term=.ece86136f23e
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 am

It doesn't really explain the fact that my own country is very pro-EU.
Unless you want to argue that all Belgians are devout Catholics. Which is an amusing notion.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:50 am

Salomé wrote:
Might that have something to do with Belgium finding itself driving the greatest gravy train the world has ever seen?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
Might that have something to do with Belgium finding itself driving the greatest gravy train the world has ever seen?

Please explain.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:42 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Fascinating article in The Washington Post on religion and the EU. The more religious you are the more likely you are to support the EU. Unless you're a protestant of course:

Quote :
Protestants saw the nation state as very important for guaranteeing their liberty. For people in the Nordic states and the United Kingdom, the continent was the source of instability and of hegemony, and that’s part of why they developed a strong commitment to the nation and to national sovereignty — this was really the main vehicle for defence against, first, expanding Catholic control in the 16th and 17th centuries, and then, later on, Napoleon and Hitler.

Romans, Nazis, papists, useless idiots, lend me your ears.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/01/12/protestants-dont-like-the-european-union-compared-to-catholics-this-is-why/?utm_term=.ece86136f23e

Sceptical-of-religion-but-raised-Protestant Remain voter here. I'm terribly confused.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 am

https://twitter.com/catalannews/status/977233149599117312

The biggest current indictment you can make against the E.U. is that they have let these quasi-fascist tactics by the Spanish government stand without any consequences or even a half-hearted condemnation from the European Commission.

Also, it's now clear that Puigdemont made a grave tactical error by leaving Belgium.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 am

Suprisingly upbeat article on Brexit in Saturday's Wall St Journal. Must be written by Putin.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-k-is-doingjust-fine-thanks-1521819089

Salomé wrote:
quasi-fascist tactics by the Spanish government

Surely you mean 'traditional Spanish and German tactics'? Good to see progressive EU justice in action; Political Prisoners R Us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?   

Back to top Go down

The European Union - is the EU the way to fix Europe?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: News & Current Affairs-
Jump to: