More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE Empty
PostSubject: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 12:46 am

A couple of updates on this score:

Newman started scoring the film at Abbey Road Studios last week.
http://www.thebondbulletin.com/thomas-newman-scores-spectre-at-abbey-road-studios

The soundtrack will be released on November 16th.
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B015EZU1QS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442735197&sr=1-1&keywords=spectre

Does anyone know how long he was given to score Spielberg's BRIDGE OF SPIES?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 pm

No, in relation to the question though I'll scurry away but glad to hear it's underway. This, and dare I say, the new Star Wars score are the ones I'm looking forward to this year.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
No, in relation to the question though I'll scurry away but glad to hear it's underway. This, and dare I say, the new Star Wars score are the ones I'm looking forward to this year.

Same here. I look forward to hearing BRIDGE OF SPIES, too.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Rather than kickstart my own thread, I'll kick the dust off this one. I listened to the score, Spectre, last week for the first time in a while. Having been reasonably okay with it last time out, I was quite disenchanted this listen. Most tracks seem to be Skyfall of course, regurgitations of elements of Brave New World/Granborough Road etc with the odd moment of goodness (Ski Plane, Backfire, Tempus Fugit). To me it remains a great shame, embodying everything wrong with the film generally. As if behind the scenes/cast wise -Mendes, Craig, Newman and others, that 'Skyfall was a massive hit, best film in ages, so let's just have a blast, people will like it all the same'. Intoxicated by the sheer exuberance of their own velocity.

This latest listen does make me think that we'll either get a new composer do Bond 25 or wherever we are (as is likely if we got Nolan, if Newman was Mendes', Zimmer is Nolan's) or at a pinch, Arnold.

Pfft.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 11:07 pm

Can't say I remember Ski Plane or Tempus Fugit, which is very telling in my eyes. Backfire I don't mind, but far from the best track on the soundtrack.

What did you think of Donna Lucia? That, along with the PTS music, are the only good tracks from SPECTRE, IMO. 

To add to your list of director/composer collaborations, I'm still holding out for a Joe Wright (who should get more attention now from Babs due to Darkest Hour being Oscar nominated) and Dario Marionelli. Perfect combo for Bond.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Donna Lucia is okay but somehow the whole score ended up passing me by. Wright would be intriguing for Bond. To me, the music is as integral to a Bond film and you have John Barry to thank for that. Nowadays, I dare suggest it's not high on Babs' priorities.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 pm

Music is not high on Hollywood's priorities full stop. Most contemporary soundtracks are drones and shit.

Hmmm, Drones and Shit. Sounds like a 1990s West Coast hiphop production.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Music is not high on Hollywood's priorities full stop. Most contemporary soundtracks are drones and shit.

Hmmm, Drones and Shit. Sounds like a 1990s West Coast hiphop production.

What do you think of the Atomic Blonde soundtrack? I love the idea to use songs and I sometimes think that this is a neglected option in filmmaking. I mean, what would Supernatural be without classic rock?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Music is not high on Hollywood's priorities full stop. 

Yep. 

I think Thomas Newman is partly responsible for that. He's one of the most (over)used composers of today and most of his scores are soulless. 

Alexandre Desplat appears to be one of the few who can capture the spirit of movie magic. Very glad he won an Oscar this year. Should have for Benjamin Button 10 years ago, but of course #OscarsSoWhite nominee Slumdog Millionaire took out most awards. 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE   Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Newman Scores SPECTRE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Music of 007-
Jump to: