More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack

Go down 
+6
Jack Wade
Control
Hilly
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Walecs
Makeshift Python
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack Empty
PostSubject: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 10:54 am

A track from Thomas Newman's second Bond score has just aired on radio. The track can be heard here, titled "Donna Lucia".

EDIT: Another track, taken from the radio program it debuted in. Titled "Backfire": https://audioboom.com/boos/3693183-world-premiere-of-new-bond-score-spectre-by-thomas-newman

You can also pre-order the soundtrack on Amazon. No samples available yet, but the track titles are listed.

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectre-Thomas-Newman/dp/B015EZU1QS
US: http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B015EZU1QS

1. Los Muertos Vivos Estan (featuring Tambuco)
2. Vauxhall Bridge
3. The Eternal City
4. Donna Lucia
5. A Place Without Mercy
6. Backfire
7. Crows Klinik
8. The Pale King
9. Madeleine
10. Kite In A Hurricane
11. Snow Plane
12. L'Americain
13. Secret Room
14. Hinx
15. Writing's On The Wall (Instrumental)
16. Silver Wraith
17. A Reunion
18. Day Of The Dead (featuring Tambuco)
19. Tempus Fugit
20. Safe House
21. Blindfold
22. Careless
23. Detonation
24. Westminster Bridge
25. Out Of Bullets
26. Spectre (End Title)

Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack 71sK6u6VplL._SL1415_

Last edited by Makeshift Python on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Tracks "Backfire" and "Donna Lucia" were played today on ClassicFM. You can find them on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 12:26 pm

I won't listen to it until the score, or even read that soundtrack listing, but is it any good?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 12:45 pm

It's good news if you liked Newman's score for SF, bad news for anyone else that didn't. Just from those samples, it feels like a grander approach to what he did before. Even uses a choir for the car chase! Towards the end of the "Backfire" track he does reuse cues from the last score's track "Grand Bazaar, Istanbul". This makes me wonder if he'll be reusing other cues from the last soundtrack. You could either think of that as a sign of laziness on Newman's part or accept that the intent with SPECTRE is to follow up on the thematic elements that began in SKYFALL.

So far I'm intrigued and look forward to hearing more of the score, especially how he uses "Writing's on the Wall".
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Grander sounds good. I liked parts of SF's soundtrack, but other parts just sound like the usual stuff he churns out.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 pm

I'll have to wait. Like the new Star Wars I'll wait to see it in action, so to speak but as I liked Skyfall I dare-say I'll like Spectre.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Towards the end of the "Backfire" track he does reuse cues from the last score's track "Grand Bazaar, Istanbul". This makes me wonder if he'll be reusing other cues from the last soundtrack. You could either think of that as a sign of laziness on Newman's part or accept that the intent with SPECTRE is to follow up on the thematic elements that began in SKYFALL.

I don't think it's laziness. That was actually one of my favorite bits of music from SKYFALL, so I'm glad to hear it again. Similar to Barry's "007 Theme", it's like Newman's suspense or action theme.

Newman does a lot better with the slow, sentimental themes. "Donna Lucia" is very nice, reminding me of a mix of Severine's and Barry's "Journey to Piz Gloria" from  ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. Perfect for Monica Bellucci's character.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 4:28 am

Control wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Towards the end of the "Backfire" track he does reuse cues from the last score's track "Grand Bazaar, Istanbul". This makes me wonder if he'll be reusing other cues from the last soundtrack. You could either think of that as a sign of laziness on Newman's part or accept that the intent with SPECTRE is to follow up on the thematic elements that began in SKYFALL.

I don't think it's laziness. That was actually one of my favorite bits of music from SKYFALL, so I'm glad to hear it again. Similar to Barry's "007 Theme", it's like Newman's suspense or action theme.

Newman does a lot better with the slow, sentimental themes. "Donna Lucia" is very nice, reminding me of a mix of Severine's and Barry's "Journey to Piz Gloria" from  ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. Perfect for Monica Bellucci's character.

I agree. I actually like "The Bloody Shot" and "She's Mine" the most, whereas "Tennyson" is just a great piece. As long as we get some great new material by Newman, I'm fine with him reprising certain cues especially if they fit like a glove with what's happening on screen.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 3:45 pm

"Composer Thomas Newman on writing the music for the new Bond film, Spectre"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p035d1yz#play
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 am

SKYFALL was never as big a spectacle as previous Bond films, but with SPECTRE bringing a lot of that back this time and the PTS apparently being the biggest opener of the series, I'm very anxious to see how Newman handles that.

Especially the gun barrel opening, always a treat to hear a new take on that from any composer.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 5:53 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
SKYFALL was never as big a spectacle as previous Bond films, but with SPECTRE bringing a lot of that back this time and the PTS apparently being the biggest opener of the series, I'm very anxious to see how Newman handles that.

Especially the gun barrel opening, always a treat to hear a new take on that from any composer.

If it is at the front of the film, that's definitely one thing I'm looking forward to…

RE: The PTS being the biggest opener of the series… Is that something that someone said in an interview? That's a pretty big call after TSLWM, MR, GE, TND and SF…
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:06 am

Given what's presented in the official photos and trailer footage, it looks like it could be among the biggest.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 1:36 am

Soundtrack has been released on Spotify. Gonna give that a listen when I go outdoors for exercise.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 10:31 am

I'm hugely disappointed that WOTW is not used at all in the score. SPECTRE could have been the best Bond movie ever and it won't be thanks to Newman's bluntness.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 11:01 am

Walecs wrote:
I'm hugely disappointed that WOTW is not used at all in the score. SPECTRE could have been the best Bond movie ever and it won't be thanks to Newman's bluntness.

That's a shame! One of the best tracks of SF was when he incorporated Adele's theme into the score. Out with Newman. And Craig.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 11:42 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Walecs wrote:

That's a shame! One of the best tracks of SF was when he incorporated Adele's theme into the score. Out with Newman. And Craig.

I just don't understand why. Skyfall was composed after the score, yet it was incorporated in Komodo Dragon.
Writing's on the Wall was written long before the score, and its melody would work PERFECTLY to score the love scenes.

Newman has no excuses.

Last edited by Walecs on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 11:56 am

Yeah. I don't get why he couldn't incorporate the song but could recycle a lot of the Skyfall motifs. Continuity, I suppose, but even that's flimsy.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Someone at Film Score Monthly is claiming that Newman didn't write the gunbarrel cue for the film.

This score's kind of a pain in the ass to listen to. And who the fuck decided to throw "Writing's On the Wall" in the middle? big laugh
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:27 am

I honestly never expected Newman to incorporate WOTW beyond one cue, and that's ultimately because Smith and Newman were never paired together. If there's anyone to blame, I think it's ultimately Wilson and Broccoli for not having their singer and composer work together. When the singer and composer work on their material independently, it usually results in a score without references to the song. We've seen this already with the songs LTK, GE, TND (Crow's, at least), DAD, and AWTD. SF originally had no references to Adele's song but at the last minute it was integrated in "Komodo Dragon" at the request of the producers and I assume this is the same case with the WOTW cue being done at the last minute.

I still welcome Newman if he's offered again, but EON needs make it a priority to have the singer work on the song with the hired composer, instead of creating the song him or herself.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:49 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
If there's anyone to blame, I think it's ultimately Wilson and Broccoli for not having their singer and composer work together.

Agreed. Perhaps he wrote some small cues incorporating the theme that didn't make it on the album.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Control wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
If there's anyone to blame, I think it's ultimately Wilson and Broccoli for not having their singer and composer work together.

Agreed. Perhaps he wrote some small cues incorporating the theme that didn't make it on the album.
Apparently that's the case to those who saw it. We'll see. At this point, I find the incorporation of a song more of a bonus than a requirement. Barry's TLD (which incorporated three songs) was the last score that integrated songs properly.

Here's a very well written review of Newman's score: http://www.filmsonwax.co.uk/spectre/
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 pm

According to a bonze on the nMI6, Bond is sorely missing Arnold. (Personally, if someone thinks CR was the best Bond score ever, well, blimey).

Hearing the score in the film tonight, the Skyfall echoes were fine and dandy but it was good all the same. Need to get the CD and listen in isolation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Newman's gunbarrel music was great, despite being partially recycled from the end of SKYFALL. It worked, though, because it connected the two films.

It reminded me of Barry's gunbarrel cue from GOLDFINGER.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
'R'
'R'
Xenia93

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 4:08 am

I liked the score a lot, and, although I haven't seen it in awhile, prefer it to his work on Skyfall
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 7:45 am

I was worried what it meant having cues reused, but Newman actually reprises them in the most appropriate moments that are connected to characters. The flute for Q's scene before it transitions to a new location similar to the transition in SKYFALL. The flirtatious music for Moneypenny. M's "Mother" theme reprising with her video recording. The music that played during the journey to Skyfall is now more subtle with Blofeld, which both represent something from Bond's past.

Newman is clearly scoring this much more as a saga of films, rather than episodic approach Barry did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack   Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Newman's SPECTRE Soundtrack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next