More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes

Go down 
+4
Hilly
Perilagu Khan
Makeshift Python
Strangways&Quarrel
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty
PostSubject: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 11:53 pm

1. Pre Titles Sequence
One of the best in the series. And extra points for a beautiful transition into the best titles sequence of the franchise.

2. "It's what keeps me alive" / "No, it's what keeps you alone"
Beautiful scene. Gorgeous cinematography, music and setting. It's about as dramatic - or melodramatic - a scene should get in a Bond film.

3. Run, Shoot, Jump!
I really dig the shootout and cinematography in this scene. Moodily shot but sleek in the camera movements.

Honourable mentions: 007 vs 006, car chase, interrogation with Mishkin, Bond reunites with Alec and the scenes on the train.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 12:51 am

1. "I trusted you, Alec..."
The nearest Brozza ever got to a poignant moment. Plus Sean Bean is good at bitterness. Must be all those ex-wives.

2. "No, no, no. No more foreplay."
Nothing like a good hate fuck.

3. General Ourumov .
Gottfried John gave good sneer.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 2:14 am

1. The Pre-Titles Sequence
This a tremendous film for me but the pre-titles sequence is perhaps one of my favorites. It has every element of Bond in action for me from suspense to gloomy atmospherics plus while I have a love/hate relationship with the score (sometimes it's absolutely great while other times like the scene where Bond is "being evaluated" and races Xenia is absolutely horrible) the piece in the PTS is great and adds to the atmosphere. Plus Gottfried John is phenomenal here.

2. Run, Shoot, Jump! (The shoot-out between Alec and Bond on the dish)
A great, tense little scene with especially great music that also played in another good shoot-out scene earlier on.

3. Bond learns the identity of Janus
Well-written scene and a hell of a twist.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Tank chase.
Fantastic disregard for the natives by both side.

Bond and Tanner
when in the situation room. Kitchen might not look like the Tanner of the books (I always imagined him looking somewhat dapper in a suit but this was 1995 not 1955 after all) but I enjoyed his time on screen and here was some kind of rapport not far from the books with him and 007. Also his "Wicked Queen of Numbers" followed by the cringe as he realises M is there.

Zhukovsky.
Do like the club scene. Whinging about his limp and the dispatching of Marlena.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Really liked Kitchen as Tanner - has more of a personality than Kinnear's version, and you could actually believe Bond and Tanner are pals...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:19 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Really liked Kitchen as Tanner - has more of a personality than Kinnear's version, and you could actually believe Bond and Tanner are pals...

Exactly. As much as I like Rory Kinnear, the pals-act feels lacking with him and Craig. Something I noticed more obviously in Spectre. Can't help but think that if QOS say had been Brosnan/Kitchen, Tanner might seem more on Bond's side or at least less like another civil servant.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 am

Which kind of upsets me that Kitchen never got to do anything beyond that one bit with Tanner in GE. Even when returning in TWINE he's doing very little, probably because they had to balance him out with the new Charles Robinson character who was his replacement in TND. I like Kinnear, but like Kitchen in TWINE, he again seemed to be underutilized among the MI6 staff.

I won't see SP until tomorrow, but I'm assuming he does as much as his last two appearances? Shame. I was thinking that his appearance in the big cast announcement was an indicator that he would play a larger role. I knew Tanner originally had a bigger part in earlier drafts but would have been extremely controversial so was scrapped.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 9:34 pm

From what I remember Tanner doesn't do as much besides drive M. He's kind of Charles Robinson really. Q has more to do.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 8:06 am

Watched it. Yeah, other than a chat with Bond on that raft, he really doesn't do much as usual.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm

*blows dust off a thread lain dormant for five years*

I might be revisiting GE soon and so will see if this changes

Hilly wrote:
Tank chase.

Bond and Tanner
when in the situation room. Kitchen might not look like the Tanner of the books (I always imagined him looking somewhat dapper in a suit but this was 1995 not 1955 after all) but I enjoyed his time on screen and here was some kind of rapport not far from the books with him and 007. Also his "Wicked Queen of Numbers" followed by the cringe as he realises M is there.

Zhukovsky.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Apr 10, 2020 5:17 pm

1. Tank chase--probably the best chase scene in all of Bond

2. Bond's punch-up with Alec--one of the top fight scenes in all of Bond

3. Xenia's death--perhaps the best death scene in all of Bond
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 1:28 am

Hilly wrote:

Hilly wrote:
Tank chase.

Bond and Tanner

Zhukovsky.

Very good! Aside from the Tanner, Bond, M dynamic in the situation room, what I find so appealing is the quiet urgency of it all. The quiet voices, the dim lighting, at the officer after hours to deal with an emerging crisis. Campbell did some very stylish work even in those scenes.

If you haven't read it, I recommend getting The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Always been a fan of GoldenEye but after reading that it really maximised my enjoyment of the film. Especially as, IIRC, you're not that big on the film, are you?

PK wrote:
1. Tank chase--probably the best chase scene in all of Bond

2. Bond's punch-up with Alec--one of the top fight scenes in all of Bond

3. Xenia's death--perhaps the best death scene in all of Bond

Hard to disagree with any of that. The tank chase is iconic. 007 vs 006 rivals Bond vs Grant in brutality, danger and choreography. And Xenia's death has it all!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Hilly wrote:

Hilly wrote:
Tank chase.

Bond and Tanner

Zhukovsky.

Very good! Aside from the Tanner, Bond, M dynamic in the situation room, what I find so appealing is the quiet urgency of it all. The quiet voices, the dim lighting, at the officer after hours to deal with an emerging crisis. Campbell did some very stylish work even in those scenes.

If you haven't read it, I recommend getting The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Always been a fan of GoldenEye but after reading that it really maximised my enjoyment of the film. Especially as, IIRC, you're not that big on the film, are you?

There is a quiet urgency as you say. I do like as I say Kitchen/Brosnan's chemistry. Still think that Kitchen's Tanner should have either been in DAD ("Sorry M, when I saw Penny she said something about getting something off her chest in Q Branch"). Or even into the Craig films.

I'll check out that book if I can (libraries locked up here, sadly). I'm not hot on the film traditionally but Brozzer and I are having a rehabilitation lately so when I get round to it, I'll hit it with an open mind. The film that is.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 am

Hilly wrote:
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Hilly wrote:

Hilly wrote:
Tank chase.

Bond and Tanner

Zhukovsky.

There is a quiet urgency as you say. I do like as I say Kitchen/Brosnan's chemistry. Still think that Kitchen's Tanner should have either been in DAD ("Sorry M, when I saw Penny she said something about getting something off her chest in Q Branch"). Or even into the Craig films.

I'll check out that book if I can (libraries locked up here, sadly). I'm not hot on the film traditionally but Brozzer and I are having a rehabilitation lately so when I get round to it, I'll hit it with an open mind. The film that is.

My work is done.

colgate
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 10:47 am

Let me see, I'll likely revise this when I revisit during my 'thon. No particular order.

1) Tank chase

Goes without saying. It has the best track of the score accompanying it and involves one of the great sets for Bond (I believe most of it was at Leavesden?). There's splashes of humour be it Bond's wide eyes when he sees he's about to drive into the alleyway or Ouromov's increasing alcoholism. If Moore's Bond was considered downright reckless and dangerous smashing a taxi round Paris, Brosnan's Bond sees that and then some.
Hearing Brosnan's behind the scenes words altered my view of it, I realised he didn't drive the tank but the fact he did it sitting on a box and whatnot was nice to hear.

2) Satellite fight. Splashes of Bond vs Grant, Bond vs Franks as Bond and Trevelyan have their climatic punch up. I didn't realise until last night that it possibly predates Skyfall's silohuette fight in all these hand parries and sheer viciousness (Brosnan's fights like Moore's seemed similar, violent but not what they tried to do for Craig). There's headbutts, kicks, things thrown, guns fired -a sense of desperation on either side but also, anger. Desperation summed up when Bond chooses to drop on the ladder.

3) Zhukovsky's club

initially some humour but there's something about this scene I enjoy. I guess it's down to Coltrane's dynamic performance but there's that sense that Bond and Zhukovsky have this professional relationship that has now become as such because of the end of the Cold War. Would've been interesting to see this done with Dalton.

Honourable mentions to the: "She always did enjoy a good squeeze" line, plane stunt, archive shootup (how Natalya spins Bond around when the soldiers come upstairs) and Bill Tanner.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Good picks!

Half was in Leavesden, but half was filmed on location. I believe the stuff by the river and a good deal of the street shots were filmed in Russia. The more destructive scenes were sets.

Good summary of the punch up. I'd say the top 3 fights of the series would be Bond v Grant, 006 v 007 and James v Patrice.

Amazing to think Zukovsky's only in 3 small scenes in GE. Such a presence and, as you say, dynamic performance that one couldn't be blamed for thinking he'd had an extended role in the film. Equal parts humour, charisma and danger. GoldenEye really had a handle on ALL its characters.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 2:23 pm

Your words on Zhukovsky put me in mind of Cheers (I know, vastly different being a sitcom) but there's characters that appear 6 episodes say of the whole 11 seasons and yet such is the performance of the actor, you feel they're in more and thus with Coltrane/Zhukovsky he's larger than life in every sense.

The fight has that similarity I think what with the enclosed space. Lack of score drives it so.

I figured some must have been in Russia but could never remember. The set though is so realistic, unless you were from St. Petersburg you'd be none the wiser. Like the CR Venice set.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 5:18 am

The lack of music in the fight scene indeed ups the brutality and tension. Two old mates fighting dirty. Cracker scene.

Yes it's a realistic set. So was the CR Venice house, but the CGI of the falling bricks and disintegrating structure really looked tacky.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 9:29 am

Indeed, that house did not help matters really. Venice and Bond but for one film, haven't really had a good turn have they? A gondola flying through the streets and a dodgy looking house fall.

As I say I like Brosnan's recalling of the tank chase and how they did it. Next time I'll watch it, I'll guarantee I'll picture him sat on an apple box.

Be good if in 2022 he did the same for TND (with others helping him out as you'd hope lockdown is over then...). I've heard him talk about 'Backseat Driver' but in that kind of setting, watching the film and answering questions would be good. Or the bike stunt etc
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 11:58 am

Chuckling at the low-tech/low-budget solution for Brozzer sitting in the tank laugh .
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Chuckling at the low-tech/low-budget solution for Brozzer sitting in the tank laugh .

colgate to quote Hammond in Jurassic Park: "No expense spared."
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 am

Hilly wrote:
Indeed, that house did not help matters really. Venice and Bond but for one film, haven't really had a good turn have they? A gondola flying through the streets and a dodgy looking house fall.

As I say I like Brosnan's recalling of the tank chase and how they did it. Next time I'll watch it, I'll guarantee I'll picture him sat on an apple box.

Be good if in 2022 he did the same for TND (with others helping him out as you'd hope lockdown is over then...). I've heard him talk about 'Backseat Driver' but in that kind of setting, watching the film and answering questions would be good. Or the bike stunt etc

I do think, Gondola aside, MR captured Venice best so far. The sumptuous photography, stalking Goodhead, Venini Glass, Bond's gondolier disguise at night, etc. Still, wasted opportunities. Especially when Fleming captured it so well in Risico.

I think a quarter century anniversary might be the only opportunity for it to happen. He's nearing 70, and while he might have good genes (his mother is still alive!) I doubt a 90 year old Brosnan would sit through TND, TWINE and god help him, DAD for a 50th anniversary watchalong! laugh

But yes, to watch Tomorrow Never Dies with Brosnan - even in cyberspace - would be the pinnacle for me in Bond fandom. To hear him discuss perhaps my most watched Bond film, see if he talks about Teri Hatcher, about Michelle Yeoh and the brilliant Jonathan Pryce. And all those stories we might not know about.

As for the tank chase.... just had flashes to Tanya Roberts. "Do you know what I'm sitting on?!" tongue

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Blimey, Mother Brosnan is still alive? Well, genes could be strong enough you know for a Goldeneye 50th!

Lumme, Brosnan rewatching DAD. "My time is precious and I want to die."

"Another day, Pierce?"

"No, just die rather than this."

I imagine he would have nice things to say about Hatcher. I couldn't believe she our TV panel show QI last year, year before. Boy, looks fine for her age I'll say that much. Brosnan must have stories galore. I can imagine a Moore-esque out-take when he's being told about the torture tools and where they're used. Just thought, like to hear Gotz Otto have a say on the film.

Ha, didn't think about Tanya Roberts' line. Can imagine her, or I guess Natalya sat in the tank with him and saying that. Brosnan glancing down. "Well, don't go off with a bang."
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 6:50 pm

You never know, maybe Brosnan could/will embark on some of those 'An Afternoon/Evening With ... ' theatre tours like Sir Rog did.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 am

I'm not quite sure she's looking too great these days. She posted a pic - granted there's no make up - in her bikini. She still has quite the body (it was a pic taken at home) but she's not ageing as gracefully as say, Jane Seymour or Halle Berry.

I'm most curious about Brosnan's opinions about his scenes with Hatcher in the film. It's well documented he wanted Monica. He's well reported that they feuded briefly - that story sells. There's no news like bad news, after all - but there's quotes from him in the Making of TND book where he says that in end she she acquitted herself very well in the role and his scenes with Paris are amongst his favourite in the role (probably at the time, hadn't got to TWINE or DAD yet). I was so rapt to read that because those scenes were pivotal in my becoming a Bond fan.

Gotz Otto commentary would be something else entirely. Worse things than Natalya going off with a bang. colgate

I do hope so BI! Would you go if he did?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty

Back to top Go down

GOLDENEYE: Your 3 Favourite Scenes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next