More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+20
Kath
hegottheboot
Hilly
Gravity's Silhouette
Professor Train
bitchcraft
Bond Fan 90
lachesis
Strangways&Quarrel
Moore
Xenia93
Control
Makeshift Python
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
G section
HJackson
dr. strangelove
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2016 9:47 am

By The Sea (dir. Jolie)

Saw it a week ago and actually enjoyed it. Particular highlights are Jolie's direction, the cinematography and music. It could have shaved a bit of time off the runtime and the dialogue could have done with a polish in parts, but it's certainly not as bad as some have made it out to be. Would watch it again.

Last Night (dir. Tadjedin)

Seen this a few times and each time I like it more. Such an interesting exploration into monogamy, and it's told with such style that I'm always drawn into it. Knightley and Canet's performances are particularly effective, even if I side more with Worthington's character.

The Hateful Eight (dir. Tarantino)
Saw this about two weeks ago for the first time. Excellent film! The cinematography, music and performances were the best thing about the film. Probably my second favourite Tarantino film (IB being my fave).

Let the crucifixion begin.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
X-Men : Apocalypse - reviews have been mixed (the ones that said it's humourless appear to have seen a different flick to me), but I quite enjoyed it.

It's passable but not among the best of the franchise.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Saw this about two weeks ago for the first time. Excellent film! The cinematography, music and performances were the best thing about the film. Probably my second favourite Tarantino film (IB being my fave).

What are your opinions on his other works, FM? How do they rank?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:
X-Men : Apocalypse - reviews have been mixed (the ones that said it's humourless appear to have seen a different flick to me), but I quite enjoyed it.

It's passable but not among the best of the franchise.

True. Those for me would be X-Men 2 and First Class.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 9:51 am

G section wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

In a ranking, probably:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. The Hateful Eight
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Django Unchained

Haven't seen his other films. I really enjoy all of the above, though 'Hateful' and 'Basterds' I enjoy that little bit more than the others. Django could have had about 30 minutes shaved off of it. Haven't seen Reservoir Dogs for a little while, so probably should pop it in for a rewatch. Pulp Fiction is very tightly scripted, but I'm partial to the WWII setting of IB and films set in one location as seen in THE. But all of them showcase some great acting and cinematography so I'm always pretty content when watching one of his films.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 8:43 am

To me, his recent stuff could all have been shorter ... Hateful Eight in particular felt like it had way too slight a story to justify its running time. He could probably do with an objective script editor.
Back to top Go down
Bond Fan 90
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bond Fan 90

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 6:09 pm

The Football factory. A brilliant footy hooligan film.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ajb007.co.uk/
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 9:17 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
G section wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

In a ranking, probably:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. The Hateful Eight
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Django Unchained

Haven't seen his other films. I really enjoy all of the above, though 'Hateful' and 'Basterds' I enjoy that little bit more than the others. Django could have had about 30 minutes shaved off of it. Haven't seen Reservoir Dogs for a little while, so probably should pop it in for a rewatch. Pulp Fiction is very tightly scripted, but I'm partial to the WWII setting of IB and films set in one location as seen in THE. But all of them showcase some great acting and cinematography so I'm always pretty content when watching one of his films.

Interesting ranking. I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet but hoping it's better than the inconsistent Django Unchained - I enjoyed Jackson's and Di Caprio's performances (Waltz was fine too) and the satirical moments, but the rest was a mess - I think QT genuinely thought he was John Ford or Leone. Basterds did very little for me on my sole viewing, opening scene aside (which was masterful). Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best in my view - his most mature and intelligent work with a terrific cast. I love his other early films too. Kill Bill films weren't my cup of tea (and I adore pinky violence flicks) and Death Proof, despite the ingenious car chase, is downright dreadful and it's violence towards women isn't a tribute to exploitation films, it's just plain nasty.

If I had to rank them:

1. Jackie Brown
------------------
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction

-----------
4. Django Unchained
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. My Best Friend's Birthday

----------
7. Kill Bill Vol.2
8. Kill Bill Vol.1

-------
9. Death Proof
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 4:13 am

G section wrote:
If I had to rank them:

1. Jackie Brown
------------------
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction

-----------
4. Django Unchained
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. My Best Friend's Birthday

----------
7. Kill Bill Vol.2
8. Kill Bill Vol.1

-------
9. Death Proof

With the exception of My Best Friend's Birthday which I haven't seen your rankings are the same exact as mine. I feel like Jackie Brown is indeed his most mature and well made film as it felt like he had worked out what he wanted to accomplish with his first two plus had Elmore Leonard's novel as basis to keep him anchored. I think Death Proof is the only one I didn't really enjoy. Seemed like Tarantino was indulging in some weird feminine fantasies rather than making an actual grindhouse film and not enough meat for the Kurt Russell character. I was also fairly disappointed with Kill Bill Vol. 1 except for Lucy Liu's scenes but came around for the second one as David Carradine and Michael Madsen both got ample screentime. Haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 11:21 am

My least favourite of his movies would also be Death Proof (lengthy dialogue scenes, but with none of the 'snap and crackle' present in the likes of Pulp Fiction) and Kill Bill Vol. 2 (just felt dull and overlong to me after the action-packed and stylish Vol. 1).
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 1:51 pm

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

Probably the most serious and genuinely creepy of the Amicus portmanteau's with all the segments being memorable. The cast and director Freddie Francis are all worthy of praise.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 12:07 am

seen a few since my last post in the thread but will highlight Roman Polanski's The Ghost (Writer)

Robert Harris struck paydirt in a way with this. Fatherland was a so-so TV movie, ditto Archangel and Engima wasn't too shabby but this edges a fraction. It does a job for the book and the allegories to Blair remains. Brosnan isn't too bad, though the plummy-ish accent is a bit much in places. I like to think he sat in one scene and thought: I was bloody Bond once you know.
Olivia Williams is the piece d'resistance, I first saw her in Rushmore and that role tends to be what I think off when I first see her. No Cherie Blair here, sort of a Thatcher/Alistair Campbell hybrid.

The jarring aspects, trivially and I do mean trivially, is the settings. For London, Mitte district in Berlin was used (for obvious reasons re: Polanski). It looks, er, German -don't ask me what I mean, just when I first saw it, there was a look and feel to it that was German. Furthermore, so keen are we made to believe it's London the antique British vehicle collection in Germany's raided for the first scene set in London -Mini's, rear-entrance buses, the works.

Otherwise, curiously, the Baltic locations work quite well for Martha's Vineyard. I've not been to Cape Cod but it did the trick for the film.

Personally, I wish the Pompeii project had been done though like the recent Kiefer Sutherland film and BBC tv adventure (Doctor Who excluded), I do wonder if it could've just ended up a CGI extravaganza and stray far from the tension the book somehow managed to retain.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 12:35 am

I quite liked The Ghost Writer. Olivia Williams is such an underrated actress. I've seen her in a few things but between this and An Education, she is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 pm

She's underrated indeed.

She's also my Rushmore, Max. colgate
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Star Trek : Beyond - after the somewhat weird decision to have Star Trek : Into Darkness be a partial remake of The Wrath Of Khan, happily Beyond is the closest in spirit 'NuTrek' has come to Trek of old yet ... a sci-fi adventure that doesn't skimp on the action and spectacle, but doesn't forget the heart and humour.

Great fun.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Purge: Election Year

Shitty, last two were much better.
Back to top Go down
Bond Fan 90
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bond Fan 90

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 pm

The Football factory
Back to top Go down
http://www.ajb007.co.uk/
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 12:13 pm

The Petrified Forest (1936)

Prior to this I thought I had seen and knew this movie but nope whatever I was thinking of was quite different and this is not a film you can forget....terrific drama, awesome performances from all but even in this company Howard stands out! Despite its vintage imo it speaks with a very contemporary tone and I find myself very much in accord with Alan Squire and his view of the crazy world we live in (acutely so in the wake of our bewildering Brexit). Despite the tragic overtones it also bubbles with charm and humour.....I could almost watch it all over again.

I saw this as part of the Ultimate Gangster Blu-ray and the quality is very good indeed, grainy for sure but hitting a great balance between contrast and shade, Highly recommended 9/10.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 2:28 am

Miller's Crossing (1990)

In prep for Criterion's release of Blood Simple next month I got around to upgrading my most re-watched film of the Coen Brothers. I think I have an ever better appreciation for this film after reading through Dashiell Hammett's novels as while it's not quite an adaptation per se but captures a lot of the era-specific dialogue and violence that his earlier works had particularly Red Harvest and The Glass Key which this film takes the most after. Albert Finney of course shines as well as Gabriel Byrne but J.E. Freeman's imposing hitman "The Dane" really takes the cake. The Blu-ray transfer is just about flawless and really made Barry Sonnenfeld's cinematography shine.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 4:53 pm

for the first time, The Man Who Haunted Himself

utterly mindbending film after a while driven by a powerhouse Sir Roger performance. I've long heard about it, read about Moore's thoughts and feelings in his books but finally, via the Horror Channel curiously, get to see it. It had the extra bonus of being a Basil Dearden film. He's not the most liked of directors and yet I'm a fan -from League of Gentlemen on through Victim. Needless to say this one is vastly different to them.
It's not the best film but it's not the worse. Admittedly Moore's face during his possessed moment at the start was unintentionally funny sometimes, it does well to show a descent into madness. That final scene in the cars was unreal -the lighting sometimes reminscent of the Incredible Hulk but all psychadelic. Surprised to see Mrs Brian Blessed (by kind permission of the RSC no less).

The jarring bit cast-wise were the kids. Both seemed dubbed and annoyingly so. Part of me wished there had been a Saint episode like this if for one Moore to say to the other: "Aren't you the famous Simon Templar?"
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:22 pm

The Man Who ... is a favourite of Mark Gatiss, and he said as much on Twitter. In response, Sir Rog saw an opportunity to pitch for a part in either Sherlock or Doctor Who ... hasn't happened yet, but we live in hope.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 1:24 am

Hail, Caesar!

An enjoyable, if maybe somewhat empty, couple of hours. Not enough happened in the film to grab me, aside from Fiennes' awesome performance and Deakins' impressive cinematography. I expected it to be a comedy, and while it's light-hearted, I never really laugh - isn't that this genre's biggest sin?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Jason Bourne - it doesn't do anything radically different from the other three (Bourne treks the globe piecing together more of his past, either helped by Julia Stiles and Alicia Vikander or hindered by Vincent Cassel and Tommy Lee Jones and his lackeys ... and naturally the lackeys get seven shades of shit beaten out of them by Bourne).

It's good to see Matt Damon doing these things again, however. An exhilarating, fast-paced action thriller with not a moment wasted.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 11:38 am

Trance - second time around, and was still utterly confused by it. Was definitely good to see Rosario Dawson's 'shaven haven' full-frontal again, though.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Hillary's America.

Waiting for Julian Assange to drop his next bombshell kaboom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next