More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+20
Kath
hegottheboot
Hilly
Gravity's Silhouette
Professor Train
bitchcraft
Bond Fan 90
lachesis
Strangways&Quarrel
Moore
Xenia93
Control
Makeshift Python
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
G section
HJackson
dr. strangelove
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 10:07 pm

New World (2013)

Compelling South Korean gangster drama centering mostly around an undercover cop with conflicting loyalties caught up in a power struggle after the boss of the crime family dies in a car accident. Very similar to Hong Kong style gangster dramas like Infernal Affairs and Election with heavy focus on gangster politics and the gray area the cops sometimes put themselves in to go after gangsters. It doesn't bring much new to the genre but was well made and had a really surprising ending that wrapped it up nicely.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Holiday Inn

Kicked off my Christmas viewing with one I hadn't seen. Not since maybe Eye In The Sky upon its release have I enjoyed a movie as much as this. The script it so sharp:

"A gentle smile often breeds a kick in the pants but for your sake I'll be big."

Good to see where White Christmas originated and in probably it's best rendition. Top marks for performances, set design, music, choreography, wardrobe... And a special mention to the brilliant Washington's Birthday dance sequence.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 11:24 am

Die Hard - annual festive rewatch. As much fun as ever.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Heh I just did Die Hard myself actually. Definitely the best one in that series.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Under the Silver Lake

This was a bit enamored with itself but nevertheless very interesting. It's in the tradition of a certain type of L.A. film, yet it's not a straight up homage. I'm sure many people will prefer David Robert Mitchell's more straightforward "It Follows" but "Under the Silver Lake" has the better performances and the quirkier writing.

Also, this material is a much better fit for Andrew Garfield than either Spiderman or Hacksaw Ridge was.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 pm

That looks great! Definitely will check it out.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Heh I just did Die Hard myself actually. Definitely the best one in that series.

I confess I nodded off a bit towards the end ... nothing to do with the film, more a combo of a fitful night's sleep on Friday, beer, not putting the DVD on until around 10:40 and being 47. lol.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Home Alone

1st time ever watching this, believe it or not. As expected from a John Hughes written film, there's a lot of heart and humour. It could earn a spot for an annual Christmas viewing, unlike:

The Grinch (2018).

Soulless retelling despite every effort to tug at the heart strings. Its very flashy aesthetic isn't enough unfortunately, and neither is Benedict Cumberbatch, whose usual commanding screen presence and booming voice dwindles to something very vanilla when it should be... nutmeg and cinnamon.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 1:52 pm

I was surprised when I heard it was Cumberbatch who was voicing The Grinch ... a fantastic actor sure, but there's gotta be a good half-dozen others who would come to mind before him. Jim Carrey in Ron Howard's live-action version seems a much better fit to me.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm

I actually think Cumberbatch would have done a great job had it been for better directing and writing, but yes, Jim Carrey trumps the newer version.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 11:42 am

Die Hard 2 - 'How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?!?'

Presumably because sequels are often very profitable, Bruce. lol. Not quite the flick its predecessor was, but still a decent follow-up.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Die Hard 2 - 'How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?!?'

Presumably because sequels are often very profitable, Bruce. lol. Not quite the flick its predecessor was, but still a decent follow-up.

It's not very original but it has its moments.

The shoot-out at the Annex Skywalk that pits Robert Patrick and his men against McClane is worthy of having been in the original film.

"Die Hard 2" is also a more faithful sequel than "Die Hard With a Vengeance", which primarily seemed to emulate the "Lethal Weapon" franchise instead.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 2:55 am

Salomé wrote:
"Die Hard 2" is also a more faithful sequel than "Die Hard With a Vengeance", which primarily seemed to emulate the "Lethal Weapon" franchise instead.

More faithful, but less interesting sticking so close to the formula.

Funny you mention LETHAL WEAPON, as WITH A VENGEANCE originally started off as a potential sequel for that franchise, before ultimately being repurposed for a DIE HARD sequel. The pairing of Willis and Jackson is what really makes that a more entertaining sequel than 2. Heck, even LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD works because of the chemistry between Willis and Long.

ANOTHER DAY TO DIE HARD is trash. It feels too much like a cheap euro actioner that would have starred Gerard Butler or some other boring lead.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 5:58 am

Human Centipede 3

The visually and morally ugly Dieter Laser has a face made for these creepy movies.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 9:59 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Salomé wrote:

More faithful, but less interesting sticking so close to the formula.

Funny you mention LETHAL WEAPON, as WITH A VENGEANCE originally started off as a potential sequel for that franchise, before ultimately being repurposed for a DIE HARD sequel. The pairing of Willis and Jackson is what really makes that a more entertaining sequel than 2. Heck, even LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD works because of the chemistry between Willis and Long.

ANOTHER DAY TO DIE HARD is trash. It feels too much like a cheap euro actioner that would have starred Gerard Butler or some other boring lead.

"Live Free or Die Hard" works until it totally loses its way in the third act.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 2:29 pm

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)

File-and-forget science fiction Hammer Horror flick. It boasts an implausible and nebulous scenario, indifferent acting, rudimentary special effects and miserable pacing. Imbibe mass quantities of caffeine before watching to have any hope of seeing it through to an ending that, curiously enough, prefigures a certain scene in Goldfinger involving Bond and Oddjob.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quatermass_Experiment_(film)

I've only ever seen that version. I quite enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:

At bare minimum, the special effects have to be much better than the original.

Now if you want to see a truly brilliant Quatermass film, check out Quatermass and the Pit. Made in '67 or '68, and featuring Julian Glover among others, it is just about as good a science fictioner as I've ever seen. And made on a modest budget, too.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 am

One of Ambler's favorite ever movies too.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 10:56 am

The Endless

This wasn't bad but somehow it unravels a bit in the final twenty minutes. But as long as the audience is still left confused as to the nature of what is going on at the commune, it's great.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

Now if you want to see a truly brilliant Quatermass film, check out Quatermass and the Pit. Made in '67 or '68, and featuring Julian Glover among others, it is just about as good a science fictioner as I've ever seen. And made on a modest budget, too.

Contrary to recent previous postings, having had a digibox upgrade foisted on me by Virgin Media I now have internet jiggery-pokery on my TV. Consequently, I have access to lots of the BBC's archive on the iPlayer ... including their small-screen adaptation of Quatermass And The Pit.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Salomé wrote:
One of Ambler's favorite ever movies too.

A point in his favor.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

Contrary to recent previous postings, having had a digibox upgrade foisted on me by Virgin Media I now have internet jiggery-pokery on my TV. Consequently, I have access to lots of the BBC's archive on the iPlayer ... including their small-screen adaptation of Quatermass And The Pit.

Watch it! Do not delay another moment! But watch it at night.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Wikipedia informs me that the first episode was broadcast on 22nd December 1958, so we're on the cusp of its 60th anniversary. And it has a Bond connection in the shape of Cec Linder, Goldfinger's Leiter.

As the Quatermass serial often cited as a strong influence on Doctor Who, it is certainly of high interest to me.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Aquaman

Not bad at all...I was half afraid this movie would flop after the panning Justice League took, but it's looking at 500m worldwide by Christmas Day!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 37 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next