More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY

Go down 
+8
hegottheboot
G section
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Professor Train
Kath
KingCobra686
lachesis
CJB
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY Empty
PostSubject: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 3:07 am

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 3:18 am

They certainly got their money's worth with that extra.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

No wonder the air smells so clean there....
Back to top Go down
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 12:48 pm

How does that even happen? Has that guy never used a broom before?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Perhaps that's a diversity hire in action.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm

KingCobra686 wrote:
How does that even happen?  Has that guy never used a broom before?

Usually it's for sound when the actors are talking. But Bond doesn't say anything so there's no need for the extra to be miming the action. 

The 2nd AD and camera operator are responsible though.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 pm

He's cleaning the invisible car. yes
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Kath wrote:
He's cleaning the invisible car. yes

Ha Ha! A quite brilliant explanation there! A hangover from the Brosnan era, if you will. ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 pm

The only and I mean only redeemable things in QoS are Bond getting drunk and dumping Mathis' corpse in a dumpster. Maybe the opera reveal scene as well. Those could have come from the novels and while they don't belong in the film series it was interesting to see a flash of book Bond for a sec. which they of course turn around and ruin by having it as Bond drunk on a plane crying over Vesper blah blah blah-GET ON WITH IT!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 3:00 am

hegottheboot wrote:
The only and I mean only redeemable things in QoS are Bond getting drunk and dumping Mathis' corpse in a dumpster. Maybe the opera reveal scene as well. Those could have come from the novels and while they don't belong in the film series it was interesting to see a flash of book Bond for a sec. which they of course turn around and ruin by having it as Bond drunk on a plane crying over Vesper blah blah blah-GET ON WITH IT!

Why is Bond dumping Mathis' body a highlight for you? It doesn't serve Bond at all in the long run and doesn't do anything positive for his character. 

I will say that in addition to the Bond getting drunk, the Tosca sequence and the score, this extra puts QOS a spot above both CR and SP. laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 7:21 pm

It made me chuckle that after 6 'Vespers', Bond still seemed considerably less pissed than most of us would be.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 8:38 am

hegottheboot wrote:

Why shouldn't they belong in the film series? Surely we must be grateful for such inclusions?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Those scenes to me felt like they were trying to push all the boundaries down and say: "Look what we can do now!" I enjoyed their freshness but they felt out of place in the traditional series sense.

Bond's dumping of Mathis's corpse to me felt like actual spy thriller material and a darkly ironic, painful, realistic and hasty goodbye to a friend.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 1:16 am

hegottheboot wrote:
Bond's dumping of Mathis's corpse to me felt like actual spy thriller material and a darkly ironic, painful, realistic and hasty goodbye to a friend.

To me, it says Bond is more of a cunt than usual.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 7:32 pm

With the emptying of Mathis' wallet before throwing his body in the dumpster, I wondered if Bond was trying to make it look like a mugging/car-jacking turned murderous.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 am

I think so, but by the very next scene, he is already being framed for his death anyway.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Dumping Mathis sounds like a call back to what he said in CR "being dead doesn't mean one can't still be helpful", so Bond takes what he learned from Mathis and applies it to the situation coldly, hence him saying "he wouldn't care".

But as FieldsMan said, he's still framed anyway by the next scene, so it was pointless.

A lot of that kind of stuff happens in QOS where things aren't meshing together. Bond goes off to rescue Camille because somehow he figured out that she was going to be raped and killed on the boat. Then after the boat chase he hands her off to a total stranger...???????

It's a incoherent mess much like TWINE, only it's mercifully shorter.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyWed Aug 01, 2018 1:08 am

You just couldn't leave TWINE out of this one, could you? wink
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyWed Aug 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Like Elektra, I like to put that flick on the chair and slowly turn the wheel.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyThu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 am

TWINE has a point to its story whereas QoS only has a padded runtime.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyFri Aug 03, 2018 3:34 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
TWINE has a point to its story whereas QoS only has a padded runtime.

And that's why I find it more damning on TWINE's case, as it's point was ultimately squandered. It desperately wanted to be Brosnan's OHMSS in so many ways yet was too timid to really commit. It's got a lot more great ideas behind it that could have made it a great Bond entry, and it all ends up being as limp Denise Richards' acting.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptyFri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Yeah. You end up wanting to see Robert Carlyle playing an anarchist terrorist who can't feel pain in a movie that isn't constrained by 12A/PG-13 certification. And out of Brosnan's 4 directors, I feel that Apted is probably the blandest.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 1:02 am

I'd call Spottiswoode the blandest. I can never understand why they went with that choice looking at his resume. I really wish they got John Woo for TOMORROW NEVER DIES instead.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 7:16 am

John Woo was probably too busy making Face/Off.

And going by John Woo's filmography, I'm happy that he didn't get TND. His slow-mo trademark is so dated now, not to mention the hammy performances of Cage and to a lesser extent, Travolta in Face/Off. For those who think Brosnan needs to reign it in, John Woo probably isn't the director for that.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 1:11 am

FieldsMan wrote:
John Woo was probably too busy making Face/Off.

And going by John Woo's filmography, I'm happy that he didn't get TND. His slow-mo trademark is so dated now, not to mention the hammy performances of Cage and to a lesser extent, Travolta in Face/Off. For those who think Brosnan needs to reign it in, John Woo probably isn't the director for that.

I disagree. It was clear they were looking into John Woo films as an inspiration. Bits like Bond shooting with two pistols as if he was Chow Yun Fat was the most obvious.

As for campy performances, that could have at least livened the film. Jonathan Pryce knew what kind film it ought to be and tried to reign that in with his performance (apparently all the takes used in the final film are his more "subdued" takes, if that says anything).

I know I would have enjoyed a Woo version of TND not just because of FACE/OFF but also because of his actual spy adventure - MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II. Dougray Scott is DELIGHTFULLY campy. I think only Toby Stephens came close to that, as Tamahori was aiming for that kind of vibe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY   Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY Empty

Back to top Go down

Hidden gems in QOS SWEEP ME AWAY
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next