More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes

Go down 
+2
Gravity's Silhouette
lachesis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty
PostSubject: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 1:27 pm

No 'end credits' answers. Especially considering it's pretty quiet on Bond news.

1. Ski Sequences
This starts from Bond leaving Bibi until the end of the snow action. Bond skiing away fro Krieglar toward the ski jump ramp is one of the most exciting pieces in this film, and in all of Moore's Bonds, in my opinion. Tense, Moore showing a more vulnerable side and a good degree of Bondian Cold War espionage - evading spies in a classy locale. One of the best thing about this sequence is Conti's music - so very atmospheric and adds so much tension to the scene. The percussion and piano in this minimalistic cue work wonders and is one of my favourite pieces of music from a Bond film and perfectly compliments the scene. Then, of course, Conti's best action track accompanies an absolute thrill ride of a ski chase, superbly photographed, dangerously choreographed and tightly edited. It definitely rivals OHMSS for the best ski sequence in the series.

2. Infiltrating St. Cyrils
Awesome stunt work in a more practical sequence. No obvious green screen effects for close ups and Moore sells the arduous nature of climbing the cliff's edge. Being largely unscored until Bond makes it to the top makes it all the more engaging, and we can celebrate with Conti's rocking Bond theme when he makes it to the top. And that shot of Bond falling... nail-biting stuff!

3. Torture By Sea
Great to see one of Fleming's iconic scenes adapted into FYEO, and so seamlessly too! Moore's 'We're not dead yet' is beautifully delivered, masking his own vulnerability to comfort Melina.

Honourable Mentions:
So many great scenes and sequences in this: Car chase, Melina kills Gonzales, Albanian Raid/Locque's death, Bond meets Columbo, "Amore!", etc.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 2:36 pm

I have to be honest, much as I love the setting, and say I find the FYEO Ski sequences rather too littered with gimmick moments to rate very highly. However your other two mentions are definitely highlights.

1. 'Torture by Sea'
2. Assailing the cliff at St Cyrils
3. The raid on Kristatos' Drug haul in Albania

Dishonourable mention: Melina trying to look fiery while gibbering about Greek women and Elektra - the Margaret Thatcher bit is tame by comparison (and tbh makes me smile even as i cringe).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 2:40 pm

I actually don't mind that scene you mentioned with Melina, it's Moore's performance that I don't really take to, especially in his close ups...
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 5:35 am

#1 The confused sleigh driver unsure whether to stop the sleigh or continue forward

#2 Bibi telling Kristatos "I know what you want. You can go to hell" and Kristatos telling Brink he'll deal with her like he does with everyone who betrays himn.

#3 Bibi summoning up the courage to come between Kriegler and Bond in the monastery, and Kriegler bitch-slapping Bibi back onto the bed.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 7:33 am

Big fan of Bibi, I take it?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Obama should've bought Bibi an ice cream.

Anyway:

1. Ascending Mt Doom: Probably the tensest scene in any Bond film. Really terrific, edge-of-your-seat stuff.

2. Make It Last All Night: No explanation needed.

3. Fish food (aka Torture by Sea): Once again, it's a Moore film that surprisingly delivers something genuinely tense.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 1:51 am

Would love to see a poolside with lots of bikini clad women grace a Bond film again. Not sure it will happen.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 10:09 am

Heterosexuality will probably be outlawed soon. It was fun while it lasted.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri May 13, 2016 9:27 am

1. Bond kicks Locque's car off the Cliff
Had no head for heights. Another great "brutal" Bond moment and done in a surprisingly more realistic fashion (usually when a car goes off a cliff in a Bond flick it means sudden explosion, here it sent Locque's lifeless corpse falling on the driver side window)

2. Bond meets Columbo
Another great Bond ally much in the vein of Kerim Bey. The back and forth between Bond and Columbo also reminded me a bit of Bond's first meeting with Draco in OHMSS.

3. The Pre-Titles Sequence
Yeah it goes for corny and could have been done a bit better if it wasn't for a certain someone's insistence on not using the Blofeld name but still it was a pretty good opener. "I'll buy you a delicatessen in stainless steel!"

Dishonorable, seppuku-worthy mention goes to the dreadful scene of that stupid parrot chatting up Margaret Thatcher at the end of the film. "Give us a kiss! Give us a kiss!" Way to end the gloomier, more realistic Bond guys. Should have had Maggie do a goofy edited double-take for good measure followed by the man with the bottle from Moonraker looking at it wondering why he's drunk in a corner at Number 10.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat May 14, 2016 2:53 am

Strangways&Quarrel wrote:

3. The Pre-Titles Sequence
Yeah it goes for corny and could have been done a bit better if it wasn't for a certain someone's insistence on not using the Blofeld name but still it was a pretty good opener. "I'll buy you a delicatessen in stainless steel!"

The stuntwork is fantastic.

If Kevin McClory hadn't provoked Cubby to open FYEO with killing off a Blofeld-type character, I wonder what kind of PTS we would have in place of the helicopter sequence. Or would it open with the sinking of St. Georges? Oh alternative realities....
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat May 02, 2020 11:02 am

blowing dust off after four years. Seems I omitted this back in the day, so after yesterday:

1) Runaway

the music, the stunts and an element of deadly danger for Bond. I'll say it again, Bogler had big brass ones when he did these films.

2) Drive in the Country

underpowered car (in theory, apparently they put a more powerful engine in it for the film), Bond in a way relying on his wits in said underpowered car, the look he gives the bad guys, the music isn't too bad and that line which prompts a giggle from Bouquet.

3) Keel-hauling

utter sense of danger for our Bond. Again Bond is relying on brawn rather than gadgets and it's quiet reassurance to Melina. Kristatos' ruthlesness is on full display now, not just with Bond but the henchman who goes into the drink

honourable mentions to: death of Liesl, Colombo's moments, Bond and Melina in the hotel room and of course Bond kicking the car off the ledge
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat May 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Can't argue with them. 3 top notch sequences. Glen really had it all going for him in this film and his direction helped execute it masterfully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty

Back to top Go down

For Your Eyes Only: Your 3 Favourite Scenes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: For Your Eyes Only (1981)-
Jump to: