More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?

Go down 
+2
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
KingCobra686
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? Empty
PostSubject: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 am

Why is Blofeld so interested in becoming a Count? When this is first mentioned in OHMSS, we are told that Blofeld has been contacting the organization that officially decides these things and is trying to convince them that he has proof of the title. I figured that this must be a random minor scheme out of many that he gets involved in to get moneyy and power on the side.

Later on though, he includes it as part of his demand, along with money and immunity for past crimes. Why is it so important to him that he would bring it up at that point? What does he actually gain by becoming a Count? Arent those titles mostly ceremonial at this point?

The only money that would be gained through something like that would be through property or land inheritances from his new family, I would think. If hes doing it for the prestige or the political influence of the title, I dont see much benefit there either. Everyone is going to know that hes the guy who blackmailed the country into making him a count.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 11:48 am

Because of his narcissism, really. It's simply vanity that drives him to be recognised as a Count. Investigating his ancestral roots is more of a hobby to his biological warfare scheme. Makes for a more rounded character than Pleasance's Blofeld previously.

I like how there is something else he is working to achieve - something on a more personal level. It's interesting that we see the head of SPECTRE engage in such an activity as we simultaneously witness the head of MI6 engage in his hobby of lepidoptery, whilst Bond pursues a personal love amidst the professional mission of preventing the spread of a bioweapon.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 1:45 pm

I think Fieldsman nails it really but there is surely a contradiction in any sane criminal mind in that they want their ill gotten gains...but to really enjoy them they need to be able to enjoy the benefits of a safe, secure and mostly law abiding environment. A title is a short cut to being respected perhaps without making much effort yourself, a right rather than something you earn etc.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 11:47 pm

As M says 'Very curious thing, snobbery'.
Back to top Go down
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 am

I suppose Narcissism could explain it. Is a Count a prestigious enough title to fit with that?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 7:10 am

I think so. I believe if he thought he deserved an even greater title, he would have investigated that instead.

Curiously, I believe Christopher Lee came from Italian nobility (on his mother's side). His Mum was a Countess I believe, which made Christopher Lee a Count.
Back to top Go down
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 12:38 am

Count Dracula?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 2:09 am

Ha indeed.

I started reading Lee's autobiography - Lord of Misrule - a little while back, and it mentions it in the opening pages.
Back to top Go down
xJoker

xJoker

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Blofeld is nuts all the way. They never tried to hide that. Besides posing as a Count (Blofeldula), he had a magical line in this film that always makes me laugh out loud. Bond tell Blofeld that he is indeed mad, and Blofeld replies something like "The ideas of the great pioneers have always confused the more conventional minds." It's supremely narcissistic said, even by his standards.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 1:16 am

I think in the novel it's more of an ultimate cover for Blofeld to be hidden away under and the film retcons it to part of the ransom demand that he be granted amnesty and his new title thus is born the snobbery comment.
I think Maibaum outdid himself on that contribution yet again. Good god, I wish I had met the man before he died.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?   Why did Blofeld want to be a Count? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why did Blofeld want to be a Count?
Page 1 of 1