More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Renard's Bullet

Go down 
+3
OO7
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
KingCobra686
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 1:10 am

Renard was definitely a cool villain in this movie with an interesting backstory. Is there any scientific evidence to validate his injury?

The bullet still travelling through his head makes no sense to me. Are they trying to say that it still has momentum from the initial gunshot velocity? Iron Man had a similar situation with the shrapnel moving towards his heart, but in that situation you might be able to explain that by saying that Iron Man's body and muscle movements were forcing the shrapnel to shift around. Renards bullet was inside his skull though, where there shouldnt be any motion going on.

Also, I think that his injury would be a lot more hindering than useful. Feeling physical pain sucks, but it is a very powerful evolutionary trait that keeps us alive. In real life Renard would probably pass out in the middle of a mission after not realizing that he had an infected cut on his back for a week. He also wouldnt be able to feel things by touch, which would make it hard to pull the trigger on a gun or move around or do a lot of other things.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 1:40 am

I don't believe the science behind Renard's bullet wound is accurate, so I'm not sure how much more thought should be given to that.

I think you're right in assuming how the injury would hinder more than help. Admittedly, I've never thought about the possibility of an infected cut. The flesh wound Renard receives in the bunker perhaps would have lead to some kind of infection, but perhaps the lodged bullet's would alter the faculties of one's biology? Since he knows he is going to his death, this is why he intends to go down with the sub, so I don't think he'd pass out from an infected wound because the turnaround of the film's events isn't that long.

And on the topic of the injury being a hindrance, the exploration into the psychological effects of not being about to feel pain - and thus pleasure - is interesting. His relationship with Elektra is one of the most curious of all in the series, and gives the character more depth than a mere terrorist.

It's important to note that the bullet is slowly killing off his senses. His mobility is fine, but he wouldn't know the kinaesthetic difference between a gun's trigger or an apple.

Back to top Go down
KingCobra686
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
KingCobra686

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 am

Fieldsman wrote:
Admittedly, I've never thought about the possibility of an infected cut. The flesh wound Renard receives in the bunker perhaps would have lead to some kind of infection, but perhaps the lodged bullet's would alter the faculties of one's biology?

The cut might not get him, but tons of everyday things could, and he wouldnt know until its too late. I think it would be like driving your car around without a dashboard. You wont know somethings wrong until its already way too late and your car is on fire on the side of the highway.

If he broke his arm, he probably wouldnt know until it stopped moving. Any small cut could be fatal if he bleeds out or gets infected. If he wanted to be safe, he would probably need Elektra to give him a full body inspection each day to look for cuts or bruises.

Fieldsman wrote:
And on the topic of the injury being a hindrance, the exploration into the psychological effects of not being about to feel pain - and thus pleasure - is interesting. His relationship with Elektra is one of the most curious of all in the series, and gives the character more depth than a mere terrorist.

Yeah I really liked this aspect of his personality. Hes probably one of the most interesting henchmen in the franchise.
Back to top Go down
OO7

OO7

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 am

It's nonsense but they did interesting things with it.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 am

I'd have liked to have seen Carlyle play the part in a movie unhampered by a 12A certificate. As the 2 Trainspotting films show he does 'psycho' extremely, terrifyingly well.
Back to top Go down
OO7

OO7

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 pm

That would have helped explain him getting the upper hand on Bond when Brosnan is the bigger man.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 pm

OO7 wrote:
It's nonsense but they did interesting things with it.

This.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyThu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 am

I wish they had done more with Renard's resistance to pain, especially with the juxtaposition of Bond being in agonizing pain over his shoulder. That's a great concept, but it never really plays out beyond a few small beats.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyThu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 am

PainFace vs. NoPainFace
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyFri Feb 22, 2019 4:22 am

TWINE is a fascinating cake that was never full baked. I ADORE the performances of the villains and think the Michael Apted worked wonders with the main actors in their scenes. The problem is that there was very little to work with in the eventual shooting script. You should feel an emotional depth in the climax that should also be an action cap to the film yet with a more personal focus...yet it's two dudes in a white control room. Outside of a few glimpses and character beats little is made of Renard's abilities.

There is more depth in Benson's novelization. I wish some of that had made it in, though I think Carlyle was probably putting more stuff into the performance perhaps from jettisoned drafts.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptyFri Feb 22, 2019 5:48 am

Considering the whole plan revolves around Renard dying as the sub goes down, I think it perfectly uses Renard's inability to feel pain. Not to mention Bond shooting him but he keeps going in the bunker and the desire to want to feel more (punching the glass). If anything, I'd have preferred more of his inability to feel pleasure.

I like the low key aspect of the sub finale. One thing I'm not sure gels with me is him yelling 'LIAR'. But it's brief.

Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet EmptySun Feb 24, 2019 4:15 am

Oh, I'm totally with you on the motivation, the plan and even the low key finale. It's more of the staging I think that if closely examined is just two dudes in a white room plus obligatory Bond Girl. I think this is probably another area where the film was building up to a weathered Bond, bruised and battered alone but still alive in the aftermath cueing Only Myself To Blame as we get an LTK style end without a girl or a tacked on high school rom com bit as eloquently put on another thread.

TWINE is an oddball for me. I love it to death yet can't help but consistently pick it apart and find it more problematic on each viewing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Renard's Bullet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renard's Bullet   Renard's Bullet Empty

Back to top Go down

Renard's Bullet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: The World Is Not Enough (1999)-
Jump to: