More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Battle of the Bonds!

Go down 
5 posters

Which do you prefer?
The Spy Who Loved Me PTS
Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_lcap67%Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
Moonraker PTS
Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_lcap33%Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Battle of the Bonds!  Empty
PostSubject: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 am

Two films. Two pre-titles sequences - one formula. TSWLM vs MR.

The similarities between these two films is transparent. Of course it's understandable that the filmmakers wanted to capitalise on the success of TSWLM so they replicated the exact format of it's PTS for the 1979 film: a hijacking, M asks Moneypenny where Bond is, which leads to a double entendre, Bond with a girl who turns out to be a villain, and ends with a thrilling stunt.

Did MR improve on the TSWLM structure? Vote and post below!
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am

Spy, mainly for the iconic parachute moment.

MR's was an impressive feat in those pre-CGI days (can't remember how many times those poor buggers had to jump out of the plane, but it was a lot). However, any sense of real peril or tension was lessened by the sudden reappearance of an airborne Jaws seeking to take a chunk out of Bond's calf. Where exactly would he have room to hide in that piddly little plane anyway? Basically, they took a marvelous bit of stuntwork and fucked it by goofing it up in a movie that was due for more than its fair share of goof anyway.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Yep ... Spy's chute moment is ridiculous, but marvellous. MR's is rolling along fine until Jaws' chute fails and he attempts to 'fly' by flapping his arms. Gruesome.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm actually going with MR, yup Jaws pretty much ruins it but the moment Bond is thrown out is both heart stopping and ultimately inventive, I always feel Spy is a bit of a cheat, brilliantly iconic and entertaining but he is just 'coincidentally' equipped for that one eventuality. By contrast the MR sequence does require him to improvise his way out of certain death. I'd also give props to to the sequence before that and the stealing of the Moonraker, the model work is a notch better all round than Spy's sub gobbling.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Although one wonders at a fully-fuelled shuttle being transported.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Although one wonders at a fully-fuelled shuttle being transported.

It does look great though. The flames approaching and hitting the glass as it blasts away looks cool.

I've voted for TSLWM as well. Excellent ski action and the stunt is perhaps the best in the series. Was it also the first big stunt in a Bond film?

I do love MR's opening, and had it not been for Jaws' "flapping", I might have picked it. The stunt work is incredible and Bond is more vulnerable. The shuttle hijacking is also moodier and more stylish (despite the improbability of such transport) than the submarine theft. TSWLM is just a little tighter overall.

2 great sequences though, like the tank chase and the motorbike chase.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptySat Mar 25, 2017 6:50 pm

It's a close call as both are excellent and Jaws' facial expression as he realizes his parachute cord is broken was just priceless but I also have to go with TSWLM. The whole PTS was just great and the ending was definitely one of Moore's most iconic scenes plus I really love that version of the Bond theme used during the ski chase.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Bonds!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: James Bond Fan Area-
Jump to: