These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Secret Files
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:42 am

I'd like to ask you for your thoughts on the sound torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?

In the scene in question the villain Dr Anton Murik and his assistant Mary-Jane Mashkin apply white noise to Bond's ears in a white tiled torture chamber.

What did you think of it?

Have you any praise for it or criticisms of it?

Was it too tame (as some commentators have said) or something refreshingly different?

How would you rank it alongside the other torture scenes by Ian Fleming, Kingsley Amis and John Gardner himself?

I'd love to hear from you!   smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
Flush
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Brian.
The Supposedly Permanently Banned Member they called Brian
He grew,... grew, grew, and grew--
Grew up to be-- grew up to be
A boy called 'Brian'-- and Silhouette Man -- and Colonel Sin -- and multiple other fucking usernames
A boy called 'Brian' -- and General YY -- and Christ, there were so many of them, all amounting to nothing.
He had arms... and legs... and hands... and absolutely no content for his blog,
This boy... whose name was 'Dragonpol'. Or "High Trees". Or some other pointless rubbish.

Last edited by Flush on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 pm

I confess the only non Fleming Bond I have read is Col Sun ...oh and the Christopher Wood adaptations his two movie scripts MR And TSWLM. I may be tempted to a Gardner novel if it is well regarded here but the described sequence brings to mind the one in 'Puppet on a Chain' which comes across fun but somehow never rang quite true (pun intended).
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am

lachesis wrote:
I confess the only non Fleming Bond I have read is Col Sun ...oh and the Christopher Wood adaptations his two movie scripts MR And TSWLM. I may be tempted to a Gardner novel if it is well regarded here but the described sequence brings to mind the one in 'Puppet on a Chain' which comes across fun but somehow never rang quite true (pun intended).

Similarly, I haven't read any of the continuation novels, though I do have Solo and Carte Blanche on the shelf for a rainy day.

Back to top Go down
Secret Files
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:44 am

Thank you both for your replies. I have recently bought a copy of Maclean's Puppet on A Chain and look forward to reading it to see how the scene matches up to Gardner's version of the sound torture in Licence Renewed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 pm

lachesis wrote:

The 'electrodes on Bond's testicles' torture scene in the TSWLM tie-in novel seems oddly out of place in an age when the films were comfortably being classified as PG/A certificate. I can only presume it was in the original screenplay only for Wood to be told 'We can't possibly do this'.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
lachesis wrote:

The 'electrodes on Bond's testicles' torture scene in the TSWLM tie-in novel seems oddly out of place in an age when the films were comfortably being classified as PG/A certificate. I can only presume it was in the original screenplay only for Wood to be told 'We can't possibly do this'.      

I should really get onto these continuation novels. They sound so wacky. laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 am

Hehehe.

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere around here but SPECTRE'S torture scene was an adaptation of the one in Colonel Sun, with that nasty drill taking the place of sharpened bamboo shoots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   

Back to top Go down

The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: