More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Battle of the Bonds!

Go down 
4 posters

Which do you prefer?
"This is the part I like best" - Teehee feeding the Crocs.
Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_lcap100%Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_rcap
 100% [ 5 ]
"This is the part I really like" - Scaramanga ignites Bond's plane.
Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_lcap0%Battle of the Bonds!  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Battle of the Bonds!  Empty
PostSubject: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyMon May 15, 2017 11:36 am

Two examples of a Bond villain proudly demonstrating a hazard/weapon that may see some harm come to 007 himself: Teehee feeding the crocs, the reptiles themselves being the threat to Bond once isolated on the island; and Scaramanga demonstrating the power of the focused, reflected heat, by shooting Bond's seaplane, indicating that Bond won't be leaving.

While the scenes aren't strictly parallel, there's a similar structure to both scenes accompanied by a near-identical line.

Personally, I think LALD's scene is better. The threat is more palpable, and is actually used against Bond after the demonstration. Scaramanga's weapon seems superfluous and doesn't exist beyond the momentary explosion. The former gives Julius Harris time to really indulge in his character, and it's usually at this point in the film that I begin to truly appreciate his sense of danger, bizarre and charm. Not to mention it's probably the best scene in the film. And while the latter scene boasts Christopher Lee (which is always a plus), it seems to break up the flow of the final act.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyMon May 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Agreed ... we don't doubt Bond will escape from either situation, but in LALD it looks a good deal less likely.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyTue May 16, 2017 11:37 am

I agree - much as I love Christopher Lee and his swagger here is pitch perfect pretty much all of TMWTGG ends up either underwhelming or ineffectual by contrast that moment when TeeHee retracts the bridge is one of LALD's best.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  EmptyTue May 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Tee Hee for me me. That whole solar alligator thing in TMWTGG was nothing more than a McMuffin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!    Battle of the Bonds!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Bonds!
Page 1 of 1