More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Ian Fleming

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyMon May 29, 2017 8:02 am

Would have been 109 today. Same as Blofeld. Coincidence? I think not.

Thanks for the adventures.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyMon May 29, 2017 10:37 am

Heh, didn't know that.

Does that mean that James Bond was what Fleming wanted to be but Blofeld was his true self on the page?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:40 am

If that's the case he'd be pretty disappointed with how he was handled in Diamonds Are Forever (1971). laugh
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyMon May 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Right idea, wrong pussy indeed.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyTue May 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Ian Fleming would have been 111 today. What a legacy to have left behind, especially for a life that ended prematurely.

Ian Fleming Ianfleming
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyTue May 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Tantalising to consider what he would've made of things after his death. By the end of the sixties alone, four more films, a new actor...nonetheless, to him we owe all of it and more.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyTue May 28, 2019 11:45 pm

Actually hadn't thought of that. He'd have just gotten used to Connery, who grew to despise his character (or rather, the frenzy it brought with it) to then be replaced by an Aussie. colgate

Though, perhaps he'd have some say on what direction the cinematic You Only Live Twice should go into. Perhaps Fleming would have returned to screenwriting duties (after trying with TB in the 50s)?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyWed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

As much as I like OHMSS and Lazenby I think IF would've had a bloody fit at GL being in a film. It's hard to say isn't it? I assume he would've had an opinion on Moore saying Moore was considered in 1962. As for screenwriting, tempting to say or maybe the mess over Thunderball would have deterred him so he wouldn't have the aggro of a court case (which Andrew Lycett suggests contributed to his death a little, on top of his already fragile health).

I like to think that a nearly eighty-year-old Fleming would have seen Living Daylights and said, "now there's MY Bond..."

One can but hope ha
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyThu May 30, 2019 12:27 am

The joys of speculation. But yes, I think it's fairly certain he would have indeed had a fit with Lazenby's casting.

To have his opinion on all the subsequent Bonds... I'd be willing to bet:

Lazenby: Outrage
Moore: By this stage, he'd have seen YOLT, Lazenby in the role and DAF, so he'd be accustomed to the lighter touch/the films deviating slightly from his source material. More amused than anything else.
Dalton: As you say, "there's my Bond" in TLD. Maybe not so much in LTK, but certain scenes would tickle, like Leiter's mauling, Bond meeting Sanchez, etc.
Brosnan: I'd like to think he'd have a warm response, despite Bond was being playing by an Irishman. I think, at least in his first three, there's a balance of all the conventions seen in Fleming's works. More than anything, working out who the villains are post-Cold War would have intrigued him. Even in TND, being a journalist and seeing how the media is incorporated would have appealed. Christopher Lee said his cousin would have really taken to Brosnan's Bond- that's got to count for something!
Craig: Look, if Connery wasn't his cup of tea upon first seeing a rough edit of Dr No, imagine seeing 'the spy novel to end all spy novels' adapted into something so bloated, yet stripped back of Bond tropes, ignoring the world he created in the book for the film with someone who looks nothing like 007 in the role? The politics would have thrown him in QOS. Making a mess of the Oberhauser and Blofeld names would have probably put him in the ground too.

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyThu May 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Indeed, he'd have a fit at the Craig era. Bond 25 might well do that to the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:37 am

Ian would have sat back and breezily stated in his style that they made him a wealthier man...
But as films I think he would have appreciated the direct approach of OHMSS and FYEO and he would have loved TLD.
I think he might have appreciated the the Mankiewicz wit and found DAF-MR enjoyable romps perhaps.
LTK would have tickled indeed.

GE would have served well since no one knew what the post Cold War landscape would ever be like let alone that Bond would continue that long. He would have like 007's ability to adapt and thrive throughout TND in the modern technological world and the emotional heart of TWINE. the DAD opener would have appealed.

He likely would have had a coronary in CR06 just as I thought I was going to perish.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 2:26 am

Agreed. I think the original stories might be easier to swallow, even for all the farfetched elements in the likes of YOLT, MR and DAD, but seeing his work adapted into something they are not - i.e. CR06 - would have been a dagger in the back.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 7:50 pm

When reading Lycett's book last month I was struck again by the fact he was good friends with Coward, whose life choices surely chimed against his own but nonetheless they were mates. Went looking and found this, bears that funny quote by Coward to Fleming about Honey's backside in Dr No.

https://blog.bookstellyouwhy.com/the-raucous-old-fashioned-friendship-of-ian-fleming-and-noël-coward
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 12:58 am

Great read! I'd love to see Coward's play about Fleming. Or at least read it. Might see if it's published somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 am

I think as long as the money rolled in he would have been content with EON's handling of Bond, considering how he quickly mellowed out after believing DR. NO to be "simply dreadful".

But that's just my assumption. We'll never really know.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Ian Fleming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Fleming   Ian Fleming Empty

Back to top Go down

Ian Fleming
Page 1 of 1