More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Johnny English Thread

Go down 
+4
Kath
Strangways&Quarrel
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Johnny English Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 3:02 am

I'm hungover so I can't be bothered looking for an existing thread today. 

That said, cameras have begun rolling on a third instalment based on Purvis and Wade's character. It's due for release next year, so it might be nice to see some Bond-esque action between now and Bond 25. 

I'd also love to see how they poke fun at the Bond series/spy genre.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Aug 06, 2017 6:02 am

The first one was a right laff. I saw the second one but once and, from memory, it was a bit shit and tried to be pseudo-serious.

Dunno if I'll see the third one, but I hope it's non-shit. Are white male microaggressors allowed to be funny anymore?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Aug 06, 2017 1:20 pm

The Pike alone makes the second one watchable.

I hope Atkinson and team poke fun at the Bourne editing style, and satirise the 'origins' narrative structure that is diluting cinema.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 5:01 am

Looks like... yeah.

A lot of Bond stuff as expected. GE-esque scene with the cyclists, DAD-esque virtual reality goggles, QOS-esque Helga who's not one for typecasting.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 am

Looking forward to the new Johnny English. The first two were breezy fun and this looks no different. Also pleasantly surprised to see Bough back from the first film.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 pm

"Strikes again?"
It is "You only live three times" in German. It works better in German, a quite nice YOLT-variation. And it is a Bondian reference, whereas "Strikes again" could be pretty much everything. That's disappointing. angry

The hacker who reveals the identity of secret agents is SF, the digital threat is SP...The only agent who can take on the cyber criminals because he was not digitalised is, well, I'd say, a "dinosaur" (which would combine Craig-Bond and Brosnan-Bond)? big grin
This is very Bondian...

I liked best when he had the cocktail umbrella in his nose... ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

The character is spun off from a series of Barclaycard ads that starred Atkinson as an inept (but unnamed) secret agent.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm

If anything, as far this new trailer goes, I am pleased to see the choice of Aston. Something that made the first JE special.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 am

Kath wrote:
"Strikes again?"
It is "You only live three times" in German. 

That would have been a much better title, I agree.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Kath wrote:
"Strikes again?"
It is "You only live three times" in German. 

That would have been a much better title, I agree.

Especially because he's reborn in the preceding film. And it is the third part of the film series.
This is a very clever "translation".
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Just back from seeing Strikes Again. Heavily inspired by Skyfall (in premise and themes), which should have been funnier and more focused then what we get. I laughed and had fun, but not something I'd rush to see again soon.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 pm

One thing I like from the new trailer or old trailer, is his make of Aston he's driving. Since Living Daylights my absolute favourite Aston. Shame his is not black or racing green. In lieu of no Bond, Johnny English might be my only hope.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 12:22 am

Vic Armstrong does make decent use of the Aston.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 am

So Armstrong's gone from Bond action-arranger to Bond-parody action-arranger?

Oh well, beats directing that Nic Cage Apocalypse movie I guess.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 am

Let's not lament that... MP would have a field day.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

MP?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Johnny English sounds like it should star Anthony Weiner in the lead...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Vic Armstrong's doing the Johnny English films? Cor. Dare we hope George Lazenby in the fourth film? No? Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 11:57 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
MP?

Makeshift Python.

Hilly wrote:
Vic Armstrong's doing the Johnny English films? Cor. Dare we hope George Lazenby in the fourth film? No? Oh well.

Stranger things have happened. Beside Olga, another of the Bond family was poached, albeit briefly, for Strikes Again.

And it will mean another sequel. I'm hoping the eighth one will be called OctoJohnny.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 8:00 am

Ah.

The bit from the Strikes Again trailer where English drops over the side of a boat, only to land on a lower deck instead of in the water ... couldn't help but be reminded of when one of the Naked Gun flicks did the same gag.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 10:50 am

Speaking of, where are all the Naked Gun/Airplane!/Hot Shots! style comedy films these days?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am

Killed off by the terribleness of those Date Movie/Epic Movie/Not Another Teen Movie etc. things would be my guess.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 12:16 pm

CJB wrote:
Speaking of, where are all the Naked Gun/Airplane!/Hot Shots! style comedy films these days?

I believe all of those were written by the team of Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker (as well as "Police Squad" which was the origins of "The Naked Gun" series), so the issue is probably that they no longer write them?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 12:30 pm

Salome wrote:
I believe all of those were written by the team of Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker (as well as "Police Squad" which was the origins of "The Naked Gun" series), so the issue is probably that they no longer write them?

Right you are. More's the pity.

BI wrote:
Killed off by the terribleness of those Date Movie/Epic Movie/Not Another Teen Movie etc. things would be my guess.

Ah yes, those were pretty bad.

The first couple of Scary Movie films had their moments, but there was certainly a generational gap in terms of target audience between them and the slapstick parody films of the 80's and 90's. The former seemed to be squarely aimed at teenagers and 20-somethings (late era Gen X-ers, early Gen Y crowd) while the Zucker/Abrahams numbers had broader appeal and knew how to be crude and clever.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 pm

"Oh Stewardess, I speak Jive." colgate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Johnny English Thread   The Johnny English Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Johnny English Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next