More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Do you believe in ghosts?

Go down 
+4
Professor Train
CJB
Hilly
lachesis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

Do you believe in ghosts?  Empty
PostSubject: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Do you believe in ghosts?  39306-Do-You-Believe-In-Ghosts-

As it's coming near to Halloween once again I was wondering how many of us here actually believe in ghosts (or not as the case may be)?  

Perhaps you have seen a ghost yourself or something paranormal at least? If so, tell me more.

Personally I do believe in  ghosts though I have never seen one or anything paranormal for that matter. I will give my reasons for this belief very shortly.

I hope that this is an interesting discussion.   smile
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 11:58 pm

I do subscribe to the notion that just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it's not there.

Have had a number of experiences, especially with electrical appliances that turn themselves on around me. One instance was very distict. A fan turned itself on and I distinctly heard the click that's made when a finger presses that switch...except I was the only person in the room.

I tend to know when something is there...and on a rare occassion, opt not to dabble, as I also seem to know when it's not a pleasant entity.

I try to edit out the 'creepy' aspect and prefer to try to understand what it is. Sometimes I stay, I'm not scared. Sometimes I'm not comfortable at all.

I can walk through a cemetery in the dead of night. That doesn't scare me at all. There are other times I can glance at a room in someone's house and...prefer to leave.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 2:11 pm

If you mean Ghosts as in restless spirits of the dead, then no, for me death is the extinction of biological processes and the end of any sentient presence we have in the universe. No afterlife, no heaven and no hell just an end. Most Ghost sightings I believe are just a form of Pareidolia, the minds tendency to form a recognisable pattern from a partial set of data.

Ghosts as in echoes from the past or as a consequence of a still living presence remain highly improbable but I wouldn't entirely dismiss the possibility that some effect or trace can be manifest or detected either consciously or subconsciously. Nigel Kneale's 'The Stone Tapes' does this rather well imo.

As the good Doctor once said (in his fourth incarnation) nothing is inexplicable only unexplained and the term 'ghosts' is I think just a place-holder till that gap is filled (albeit there with no guarantee it will ever be).
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Maybe. When I was about four at my old house, I recall standing at my bedroom window and I heard this noise -the sheet on my bed was going ten to the dozen, fluttering and stuff -the window was shut, the door was shut and I still remember all these years later that damn sheet billowing like it was possessed.

I'm undecided on such things.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 am

I can suspend disbelief in order to enjoy horror movies etc, but I'm pretty much a sceptic about all things paranormal/supernatural.

You can be so 'open-minded' your brain ends up falling out, as someone once said.

The ones who astound me are the 'pickers and choosers' ... you know, the ones who will dismiss belief in/the existence of God as nonsense but in the next breath (without a hint of irony or self-awareness) tell you about (for example) the healing power of crystals or reiki, or about this 'really perceptive' psychic they went to once.

Erm ... no, sorry. Until the irrefutable scientific evidence is presented, it's all bullshit as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 1:10 am

But the real question is:

Do you buh-lieeeeeve in life after love?
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 am

CJB wrote:
But the real question is:

Do you buh-lieeeeeve in life after love?

We know that Cher does.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 11:27 am

Hehehe ... huge hit record, but just try finding anyone who'll actually admit to having bought it.
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Hehehe ... huge hit record, but just try finding anyone who'll actually admit to having bought it.

Funnily enough I saw the single in a charity shop the other day. I remember when it came out in 1998 and everyone was impressed with the vocoder effects.

Last edited by Secret Files on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:31 pm

I loved the look on Cher's face when she realised Hillary lost the Presidency.

She didn't stand a ghost of a chance.

Back to the topic on hand.

If you want an economical ghost detector, get a cat or a dog. They see light spectrums that we don't and get fidgety. They also come nosing around when you're having sex.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I can suspend disbelief in order to enjoy horror movies etc, but I'm pretty much a sceptic about all things paranormal/supernatural.

You can be so 'open-minded' your brain ends up falling out, as someone once said.

The ones who astound me are the 'pickers and choosers' ... you know, the ones who will dismiss belief in/the existence of God as nonsense but in the next breath (without a hint of irony or self-awareness) tell you about (for example) the healing power of crystals or reiki, or about this 'really perceptive' psychic they went to once.

Erm ... no, sorry. Until the irrefutable scientific evidence is presented, it's all bullshit as far as I'm concerned.

My line of thinking, actually. Those 'pickers and choosers' are hypocrisy personified. 

bitchcraft wrote:
If you want an economical ghost detector, get a cat or a dog. They see light spectrums that we don't and get fidgety. They also come nosing around when you're having sex.

Right idea. Wrong pussy.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Yep. It's why I prefer 'sceptic' over 'atheist' or whatever ... it covers all bases.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 10:03 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
I can glance at a room in someone's house and...prefer to leave.

Ugly decor has that effect on me too.

I've never seen any irrefutable evidence either way and am by nature a sceptic, but on the other hand, I have definitely had some experiences I cannot explain. I'm not prepared to say the dead are hanging around making my dog fidget but I work on the basis that things can happen which science cannot yet explain and I would accept that it never will. I actually love the idea that we humans cannot explain, understand and control everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in ghosts?    Do you believe in ghosts?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you believe in ghosts?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: General Discussion-
Jump to: