These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hollywoodies.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:39 am

Some of the most damning accusations aren't in that overview, likely because that piece predates them becoming public knowledge.

Among them Annabella Sciorra's:

http://people.com/movies/annabella-sciorra-harvey-weinstein-daryl-hannah-recalls-scary-incidents-in-new-expose/
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/louis-cks-movie-premiere-canceled-advance-ny-times-story-1056585

Sounds like Louis C.K. is the latest one who will be publicly accused.
There have been rumours out there about him for a while.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 am

Naturally Woody Allen's name is dragged through the mud, too.

Never heard of the film that got pulled. Sounds interesting though, and with an excellent cast.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 am

The Louis C.K. rumours about him cornering young female comedians and forcing them to watch him masturbate are pretty old. It is a bit surreal to see all of this happening in quick succession.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 am

How do you force someone to watch you masturbate? Is it like A Clockwork Orange?

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:30 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
How do you force someone to watch you masturbate? Is it like A Clockwork Orange?

It's been years since I've read the accounts, but I think the context was a backstage area at a comedy club where he locked himself and the woman in question in the green room and did not allow her to leave the locked space until he was done. Supposedly this was a regular occurrence and something he passed off as an extreme joke.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 am

http://gawker.com/5894527/which-beloved-comedian-likes-to-force-female-comics-to-watch-him-jerk-off

I knew it was ages ago when I first read about this. This Gawker piece is over five years old.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:47 am

Huh. Looks like this backlash has even reached our little backwater.
A TV personality with a thirty year relationship with the state broadcaster was just ousted due to inappropriate behavior. The details are vague but seem to be about harassing and sexually propositioning female employees and collaborators.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 am

Here's Louis C.K. confirming that the allegations are true. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/10/entertainment/louis-ck-apology/index.html?sr=fbCNN111017louis-ck-apology0137PMStoryLink 

Louis C.K. wrote:
These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true," he wrote. "But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly...

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with ... The hardest regret to live with is what you've done to hurt someone else
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 am

George Takei's been accused of groping back in the eighties and Richard Dreyfuss exposing himself to a writer, also in the 80s. Bit of a merry-go-round.
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrities-gone-bad/steven-seagal-accused-of-telling-actress-to-sit-on-his-face/news-story/6746e8bbdd4ceb20a745ed10f5a6d457

Of all the actors - using that term loosely here - to have accusations leveled at them, I'd say The Seagull is the least surprising one.  laugh
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 pm

She looks so unhappy.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
She looks so unhappy.

If that is Katherine Heigl and this was taken around the time they shot "Under Siege 2", then she is around 16 in that picture.

And I see she actually talked about this on a talk show.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:55 pm

This just in : these revelations mean that Seagal's career will remain laughable.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
This just in : these revelations mean that Seagal's career will remain laughable.  

Having to sleep with Steven Seagal to get a role in a Steven Seagal movie is indeed a grim point in any actresses' career.
A moment when one could not be blamed to reconsider one's life choices.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 am

I disagree with the basic tenet of this piece: that journalism is there to expose wrongdoing. Personally, I think journalism should report the facts and not push an agenda. That good journalism should ignore unsubstantiated rumour. That hacks make the world's worst moral compass.

Nevertheless, this is one of the few articles out there that is challenging the shit that passes for reportage right now. Maybe that's the most worrying thing of all.

Quote :
Harassment, Scandal and the Media: Is a Hollywood Witch Hunt Brewing?
by Stephen Galloway

Journalists have a responsibility to stand firm, to not get swept up in the rush to judgment or the race to break a story, remembering that some of the most incendiary material — just like the McMartin allegations — may turn out to be less combustible than it seems. There’s a lot more fire behind the smoke today than there ever was in the McMartin case — the proof: Halperin, Spacey and others’ tentative apologies — but that doesn’t mean smoke is always accompanied by fire.

And yet most journalists are rushing forward without pause. And in doing so, they're increasingly stretching the limits of what's acceptable to report, breaching the thick wall between gossip and fact.

That’s a real shift. For years, it was inconceivable to print such damning reports without having iron-clad facts, or without giving both sides a chance to air their stories. But all that has altered in the course of three weeks. Faced with white-hot competition, we’re giving up tried-and-tested codes of conduct, knowing that if we don’t, we’ll lose the battle to get the story first.

We in the media are not verifying and re-verifying the facts, but only checking that so-and-so did indeed say such-and-such — not always even on the record.

In the short term, this has allowed the exposure of appalling behavior, which will have a chilling effect on anyone who plans to indulge further. But in the long term, it poses huge perils for the media. We risk eliminating the barrier that has separated legitimate news from the illegitimate, erasing the thin line that has kept us on a different plane from the TMZs and National Enquirers. In doing so, we’re giving catnip to our critics, those eager to lambast us for bias and “fake news.”

And we’re not just damaging the possibly innocent; we’re damaging ourselves.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harassment-scandal-media-is-a-hollywood-witch-hunt-brewing-1055147
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 am

That article is ironic considering that Ronan Farrow had been working on that Weinstein piece for ages and had to shop it around for a long time before he found a publication brave enough to publish it.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 am

Salomé wrote:
That article is ironic considering that Ronan Farrow had been working on that Weinstein piece for ages and had to shop it around for a long time before he found a publication brave enough to publish it.

Here I was thinking, 'Ronan Farrow is just another rich kid with daddy issues', but you sure showed me.

Motherfucker is one brave trustifarian.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

Here I was thinking, 'Ronan Farrow is just another rich kid with daddy issues', but you sure showed me.

His privileged background is not really the point I was trying to make.
Rather the fact that he struggled to find anyone willing to publish that piece.
Which stands in sharp contrast to how some publications are now rushing these stories out.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

His privileged background is not really the point I was trying to make.
Rather the fact that he struggled to find anyone willing to publish that piece.
Which stands in sharp contrast to how some publications are now rushing these stories out.

His own network wasn't willing to cover the story (he's hinted he'll have more to say about NBC News' reluctance to tackle this story at a later date). Farrow also said he never felt more threatened or in danger on a story except for when in Afghanistan; said some real dark forces were following him and trying to threaten him off this story and the intimidation and harassment was real. So good for him to keep on reporting anyway, and good for these actresses to come forward.

But in the end this will not change much. Sex harassment and rape will continue as it has since the dawn of man. American politics are in a gutter I can't ever recall being in so deeply. Child molestor's running for Senate seats; a President that admits he likes to walk in on pageant contestants while they are changing clothes; a previous President who exposed himself to women and raped others and a wife that stood dutifully by like Jerry Sandusky's wife and buried her head in the sand. This is as low as I can ever remember it. A country tearing itself apart, in part, because it truly has no moral code or center anymore.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
American politics are in a gutter I can't ever recall being in so deeply [snip] This is as low as I can ever remember it. A country tearing itself apart, in part, because it truly has no moral code or center anymore.

You think the sex lives of the rich and famous are more important than the 100-years failure of US foreign policy? This a sad diversion from what matters most. I would be more impressed if the media turned their attention from so-called celebrities and looked at the state of the wider world.

The Daily Beast had Ronan Farrow's number back in 2014:

Quote :
Trustafarians Want to Tell You How to Live
As more and more people inherit considerable wealth, a new class has emerged with progressive ideals and strong opinions about how the rest of us should live.

[T]he media itself, particularly in its most visible manifestations, is increasingly populated by the children of prominent politicians and by those who come from the ranks of the plutocracy. Middle-class parents may have to grind their teeth and empty their wallets as their kids work in unpaid internships in pricey Gotham, but this is not the fate of the offspring of the Reagans, Bushes, Clintons, McCains, Pelosis, or Kennedys, all of whom have ascended to levels of media power that mere mortals take years to achieve, if ever. If you need a show for millennials, why not hand it over to Ronan Farrow, the offspring of celebrity parents. In my time, generally speaking, the icons of a generation were likely to be outsiders; the “screwed generation” of millennials get to have theirs defined by whose birthright landed them on third base.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trustafarians-want-to-tell-you-how-to-live
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 am

The focus on Ronan Farrow is a bit odd. Would the Weinstein story been more acceptable had it been broken by someone who wasn't born on third base?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 am

Salomé wrote:
The focus on Ronan Farrow is a bit odd. Would the Weinstein story been more acceptable had it been broken by someone who wasn't born on third base?

It's not just that. Some editors and readers might think that Ronan's multiple issues with Woody Allen (Ronan's paternity, Allen's alleged abuse of Ronan's sister Dylan and Allen's marriage to Soon-Yi Previn) make him an unreliable witness. 'Michael Wolff's The Woody Allen - Dylan Farrow case: media spin for the Farrow family?' published in The Guardian back in 2014 makes interesting reading.

Quote :
The impetus seems to be to establish Mia Farrow as a celebrity activist worthy of the world stage, and, as well, to launch a public career for her son Ronan.

The campaign began in the November issue of Vanity Fair in a profile of Mia Farrow by Maureen Orth, an acquaintance (Orth is the widow of NBC's Tim Russert), in which Farrow offered the headline grabber that Frank Sinatra, rather than Woody Allen, might be Ronan's father. In a demonstration of Farrow's famous media acumen, that's all she said, Sinatra "might" be – worldwide titillation followed.

The terms of the article would have been negotiated beforehand [see footnote]. Mia Farrow is, at this point in her career, not a Vanity Fair worthy subject. Hence, in return for laudatory press coverage of her charitable work, and near sycophantic treatment of her yet-to-be-employed son, she would have had to agree to revisit her legendary scandal. That, and then some. The price of publicity for her and Ronan was, in effect, Allen.

It's an agit-prop piece. Orth wrote Vanity Fair's 1992 piece about Woody's break-up with Mia, his relationship with Mia's adopted daughter Soon-Yi (his future wife), and Mia's charges of his sexual abuse of Dylan – it is practically speaking the same piece now.

It's unremitting and unequivocal. Mia – good, great, noble. Woody – evil, duplicitous, dangerous.

Neither the other Mia of many reports, hungry for press and out for revenge, nor the long-married Allen with teenage daughters, steadily doing his work, are present here.

The Vanity Fair piece effectively launched Ronan. Overnight he went from unknown to celebrity, shortly hired by MSNBC. Two weeks ago, he was given a permanent spot on the cable news network's schedule. He has, I am reliably told, promised a grateful MSNBC that his public fight with Allen is far from over.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/03/woody-allen-dylan-farrow-abuse-allegations
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:48 am

Right, but the Weinstein story is now corroborated by so many different sources that it seems unlikely it could be a complete fabrication. If Ronan Farrow was capable of making dozens of women lie on the record that would make him one of the most powerful men in the media.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:54 am

Salomé wrote:
If Ronan Farrow was capable of making dozens of women lie on the record that would make him one of the most powerful men in the media.

That's true. But you can be sure that those who have come forward have something to gain and it might not be justice only. The same article puts it rather well:

Quote :
Here's a certainty: When you play out your personal dramas, hurt and self-interest in the media, it's a confection. You say what you have to say in the way you have to say it to give it media currency – and that's always far from the truth. Often, in fact, someone else says it for you. It's all planned. It's all rehearsed. This is craft. This is strategy. This is manipulation. This is spin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hollywoodies.   

Back to top Go down

Hollywoodies.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: