More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Composers for Bond 25

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Composers for Bond 25 Empty
PostSubject: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 7:01 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 pm

I wouldn't mind if Cliff Martinez was chosen. I thought there was this surreal, fantastic sound to Neon Demon that wouldn't be out of place in a Bond film. 

My top pick would be Dario Marionelli for a sweeping score like YOLT or FRWL:

Or David Arnold if he can bring a vitality back to his Bond scores similar to his Brosnan era work. Though I'd rather they not waste their efforts on a Craig Bond film.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

I am loving the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack atm so I would be delighted to hear Walmfisch's contribution to the series equally Marionelli, Alberto Iglesias or Tom Twkyer should be considered..... much as I love the Barry style without the great man himself it would be nice to have a score which is more its own thing and less a pastiche than perhaps we have heard from the likes of Arnold and Newman.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 2:01 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I would love to, but I have yet to see it. Perhaps this or next weekend.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 pm

I saw Campbell's The Foreigner yesterday and while I thought it was solid, the music failed to impress (except for Jackie Chan singing the end credits song, which had a beautiful composition and his vocals were rather good). I was surprised to see it was Cliff Martinez who composed the score. It was that same sterile, cold noise that characterises a lot of films nowadays. For a film called 'The Foreigner' I would have liked more of an Oriental or Celtic influence to characterise the music. 

Considering the crossover of genres, I have a suspicion that Martinez would employ a similar sound if he were to compose a Bond film. Unless of course the director isn't like Mendes, who doesn't seem to give a toss about the music, then perhaps they'd encourage a different sound. 

Ambler wrote:
I'm not familiar with Dario Marionelli 's work. I'll give it a listen. 

His music for Atonement and Wright's Anna Karenina are my favourite of his scores so far. He was Oscar nominated for Pride and Prejudice.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 2:18 am

x

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Ambler wrote:
Something purely electronic might work in some of the more reflective moments.

I could see that. Unfortunately, there are surprisingly few reflective moments in the most human Bond's era.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 11:19 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 6:46 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Mogwai would shake things up.

Certainly would. I'm not ready for that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 12:27 pm

x

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Never happen, but Mogwai would shake things up.

I like.

I don't think it hurts to have one film every now and then which goes for a distinctive sound, rather than a more traditional Barry imitation. Think Serra and Goldeneye.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am

I agree, though I'm not sure if this particular example fits with Bond. Martin's 70s funk sound, Conti's energetic 80s cues, Kamen's rougher and Latino fusion and Serra's Euro-thriller music all still fell within the realm of Bondian music.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 10:29 am

Nothing's out of the question if done right (short of gangsta rap perhaps) and adapted to the tone of the film. Certainly, in the late 70's/early 80's, I'm sure there were series purists who thought disco disgraced the traditional domain of brassy Barry numbers.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 4:06 pm

x

Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptySun Feb 04, 2018 2:10 am

They need somebody to do a BIG score-one that even regular audiences will take notice of and remember fondly. Bond is a big job for composers yet hasn't been treated as such.
007 deserves great composers. Truly great ones-not merely good ones or modern choices who fill spaces.
Of those who are still working:
While I don't think his regular style would necessarily fit, it would be interesting to see what John Williams would have done with a Bond score.
Personally I think the only person working today who could do it properly is probably Danny Elfman. And even then that might be a bit of a stretch in terms of making a composer's style work in Bondverse.

If David Arnold came back and laid off the constant techno noise and over the top Barry/series nods-motifs that would seem like the most logical choice.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptySun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 08, 2019 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
I agree, though I'm not sure if this particular example fits with Bond. Martin's 70s funk sound, Conti's energetic 80s cues, Kamen's rougher and Latino fusion and Serra's Euro-thriller music all still fell within the realm of Bondian music.

No one needs another Bond film, particularly if it's more of the same. Ditch the brass and that whole Las Vegas cabaret vibe; it was old fashioned even in 1964.

If Eon is staying with self-pitying Bond then something troubled and shoe-gazing like this might be more appropriate.

Keep the brass if that's the alternative. 

Ambler wrote:
An epic score requires an outlandish script. However, If Bond is about, say, stopping the privatisation of water in Bolivia then a harmonica and maracas will suffice.

laugh 

I'm hoping for both an epic score and an outlandish script. And by outlandish I don't mean crane jumps or heading into space. But touches of bizarre within a focussed narrative. Like OHMSS or GE.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:07 am

Had Marianelli's Anna Karenina score in my mind for days now so started listening to it again. What a combination it would be - Wright directing, McGarvey the cinematographer and Marianelli composing...

Composers for Bond 25 Watch?v=D12FM3iyGDw
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:07 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Composers for Bond 25   Composers for Bond 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Composers for Bond 25
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: No Time to Die-
Jump to: