More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill

Go down 
+4
CJB
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
ironpony
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 6:32 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
It's suggested that Columbo can see Kristatos. But it's also worth noting that Bond wanted to keep Melina away from killing someone. Columbo, who is an underworld figure of sorts, is already tainted so out of the two, it isn't worth Melina suffering the psychological complications after ending someone's life. 

So Melina's not 'tainted' after shooting Gonzalez in the back (forgot about him, didn't you)?

I'd go with FYEO over AVTAK for all the reasons mentioned above, but when it comes to rearranging scenes, I'd move the fight at the Albanian dock to the end, as I've always felt the punch-up at St Cyril's to be more appropriate for the climax on an episode of The Persuaders. Just remove the word 'tomorrow' from Columbo's line to Bond earlier ("I'll prove it to you...we will go together to his warehouse in Albania.") and it would work. Failing that, tighten up the editing as we jump back and forth from the fight to the approaching helicopter, with a tympanic 'countdown' theme to build up the tension.

FYEO had more class than AVTAC, Sir Roger was in better shape, the locations were more exotic and there was no Tanya Roberts. The plot was a rehash of FRWL, not Superman and the Temple of Doom. My only other nit-pick would be: Bond's mission was never to retrieve the ATAC - it's not like the device couldn't be replaced. All he had to do was leave it with JIM to ensure its destruction (but then that would be the end of the movie, wouldn't it?). Still, that's the joke of the line "That's detente, comrade - you don't have it, I don't have it" (but we have plenty more).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 am

Sure did AMC Hornet. You got me.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 4:47 am

Oh okay. Well I just watched both again, and the are still both the two entries I have the most trouble on deciding on, and are both mixed bags, right down the middle for me.

When it comes to FYEO, does anyone else have a huge problem with Carole Bouquet's acting though? I just found her performance to be extremely wooden, and she has a blank expression on her face most of the time, and the actress dubbing her, sounds like she is underacting it as well, or is it just me?

Tanya Roberts is not a great actress either, but I thought she was still able to exude more emotion in comparison, to the blank and deadpan Bouquet. But what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 8:25 am

I find Carole to be neither here nor there. Outside of the boat scene early on I never really think much about her role in the film after a viewing.

On the topic, I prefer A View to A Kill overall. It's plot is a bit weaker compared to FYEO but overall I enjoy AVTAK a lot more and honestly I've warmed to Tanya Roberts more after the most recent viewing as while her screeching can get a little annoying I felt like her performance was fairly believable particularly during the scene where Zorin's goons show up at her house. It's not a grand performance but it was one that got the job done.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 8:51 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
Thankfully no, because people don't talk like that.  laugh Bond avenging Melina's parents wouldn't fit with Bond's character, nor would it serve the story, since he has no emotional connection to them beside human empathy.

That is of course only true for the movie. In the short story, Bond gets the assignment to kill the murderer of the Havelocs because they were close friends to M (he was the best man at their wedding or vice versa, don't recall which one). All in secret of course (meaning a secret within the secret service). Hence "for your eyes only". So, Bond finds himself in a competition / squabble with Melina about who will kill their target. Quite funny actually and a prime example of Fleming's humour.
Aside, here, M misuses the OO-section to exact his personal revenge and to have the Haveloc's avenged. M misuses the OO-section for his private purposes in this short-story, that's why he wants Bond to do the job. A very interesting short-story with more to it than meets the eye.

Well, it is difficult to decide here whether Bond kills Blofeld in FYEO out of revenge or self-preservation, but I wouldn't actually call Blofeld "helpless". He's the head of SPECTRE after all and considering who and what Bond is he takes this villain out when he has the chance to do so. You forget that Bond carries the licence to kill and is used to killing - although he doesn't like it when it comes down to an assassination (read FRWL and TLDL). That is Bond's job after all, isn't it?.  laugh

Melina would never consider herself tarnished because she thinks that it is her job to kill the murderer of her parents (so, she's the anti-Hamlet). She would have considered herself tarnished had she NOT killed Gonzales. It is, of course, highly ironical that Bond tries to impress morals on Melina when he HAS killed the murderer of his wife just before. We see that tombstone for a reason. But, remember who Bond is. Morals are something for other people to adhere to. He is doing the dirty work to the British secret service. And he can always excuse the murder of Blofeld with his license; he would have had to kill him anyway, even if Blofeld had not killed Tracy. Here, revenge and duty coincide in a way that we cannot tell them apart.

Colombo is not a villain - he's one of Bond's allies.
If you're interested in the moral standing of Bond, his allies, and his enemies in general and Colombo in particular that is what you go for:

Hagen, K. (2018). The Spectre of Bloody Morgan: Ian Fleming's Use of the Pirate Motif . International Journal of James Bond Studies , 1 ( 2 ) . DOI: http://doi.org/10.24877/30

https://jamesbondstudies.roehampton.ac.uk/articles/abstract/10.24877/30/

It must of course be "Tracy di Vicenzo", a very annoying mistake in the article.

As for the general question, FYEO features many elements of Fleming's texts whereas AVTAK comes more or less from nowhere. You know my answer.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 3:30 am

Strangways&Quarrel wrote:
I find Carole to be neither here nor there. Outside of the boat scene early on I never really think much about her role in the film after a viewing.

On the topic, I prefer A View to A Kill overall. It's plot is a bit weaker compared to FYEO but overall I enjoy AVTAK a lot more and honestly I've warmed to Tanya Roberts more after the most recent viewing as while her screeching can get a little annoying I felt like her performance was fairly believable particularly during the scene where Zorin's goons show up at her house. It's not a grand performance but it was one that got the job done.

I've come to the same realization. After spending my entire childhood thinking she sounded like a squealing idiot most of the time-I eventually realized she was portraying a simpleton caught in events beyond her control and is very believable overall. But like FYEO the part is underwritten and has plot exposition built into it which is probably the deciding factor. While both actresses do well the series has always had a very annoying habit of getting less known or unknowns to play these parts when many times they really deserve someone with good acting chops to sink their teeth into the role.

OP fares the worst of this era for me in this quality of seeming blandness-a feeling of having done it before or lack of extreme originality. And it's odd for me to feel that way because these films are still incredibly well made, planned and directed etc. But they do have a feeling of staleness that never fully dissipates. FYEO overcomes it by being a big old fashioned two fisted adventure film in the vein of 60's/70's American-British thrillers and being tautly focused, AVTAK by having darker themes and indicating the oncoming shift of the Dalton era-but OP has its head scratchingly convoluted plot structure mixed with a Indian throwback adventure that shouldn't work at all yet somehow holds itself together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill   For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

For Your Eyes Only VS. A View to A Kill
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2