More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Murder on relationships

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Murder on relationships Empty
PostSubject: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 pm

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/murder-on-relationships-the-story-between-paris-and-bond/ 

Old BAB member, Nicolás Suszczyk, took an in-depth look at Bond and Paris' relationship earlier this year as part of TND's anniversary. An interesting change from earlier drafts and the final film is that Paris was the one to leave Bond. I think the idea of Bond leaving her is much more in line with Bond's core character post Vesper and Tracy, and glad this was rectified for the film.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 6:58 am

I’ve always felt the Paris character and those scenes came across as a bit forced but the actors do manage to pull it off very well and the moment they actually embrace underlines the depths of what their passion must have been. But I really couldn’t buy Teri Hatcher in that part for some reason in some bits particularly the “too close for comfort”. But the bit when 007 leans over her corpse in such woeful guilt is spot on.

Actually come to think of it, I never realized all the Tiffany Case parallels that their backstory shares in. Hmm...interesting to think about.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 8:31 am

I personally can't understand why some don't like Hatcher in the role. I think she delivers, and I like seeing Bond and Paris trying to keep a lid on how they really feel - even the slap is a mask to try keep her true feelings hidden. 

The Tiff Case parallels are interesting. Paris could have very well been Tiffany, or Sylvia or even Natalya. There have been murmurs of Pam returning to have married Carver, but that strikes me as forced. Lupe would probably be the more logical choice out of the LTK girls. 

But I prefer that Hatcher's Paris is her own character. She's one of my favourite Bond girls, along with Tracy, Tanya, Fiona, Natalya, Elektra, Pussy and Severine.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 11:08 pm

She's not the worst actress, Hatcher, I guess it's the lines. She was in her New Adventures of Superman prime back then. Brings back memories, actually.

Can't see the Pam return working. Too long after LTK, no real connection to Brosnan's Bond and well, what would have been the point?

Almost like Anya Amasova returning in VTAK. Seems much of a gimmick.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 am

It's something about the lines too I think. As a kid I found myself going Bond wouldn't be so attached to anyone, then later grew to fully understand the characterizations and what they were trying to go for in the film. I think her scenes work well in context but to this day that one line always throws me a bit.
IIRC there was something about the actors not getting along on set. I don't see that ever really being an issue with the Brozzer but it may have been due to the fact that IIRC Hatcher was pregnant at the time of shooting.

I too have wondered if the title song lines were in reference to Paris before, but it appears to have been a case of mere coincidence. Apparently that "Darling I'm killed" line was what interested the producers amongst all the other TND song attempts.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 4:00 am

Anya returning in AVTAK would have worked fine, IMO, considering that Pola and Bond were to have known each other. In fact, it probably would have worked better if Fiona Fullerton wasn't a competent actress. 

hegottheboot wrote:
It's something about the lines too I think. As a kid I found myself going Bond wouldn't be so attached to anyone, then later grew to fully understand the characterizations and what they were trying to go for in the film. I think her scenes work well in context but to this day that one line always throws me a bit.
IIRC there was something about the actors not getting along on set. I don't see that ever really being an issue with the Brozzer but it may have been due to the fact that IIRC Hatcher was pregnant at the time of shooting.

I too have wondered if the title song lines were in reference to Paris before, but it appears to have been a case of mere coincidence. Apparently that "Darling I'm killed" line was what interested the producers amongst all the other TND song attempts.

'Too close for comfort' works for me because it sheds a little insight into why they didn't work out. Knowing that she wanted something more and Bond couldn't commit/wouldn't commit because he's got too close before with Tracy (and Vesper) and ended in their deaths. Lots of publications have highlighted that Brosnan and Hatcher "feuded" but it was simply that Brosnan was fed up with her turning up late to set, and further, because he would have preferred Monica Bellucci. However, when Brosnan found out Hatcher was pregnant, he apologised and all was fine. He later admitted that he thought Hatcher acquitted herself very well, and his scenes with her are amongst his favourite in the film. 

Crowe's title song is absolutely a reference to the Paris/Bond relationship. The opening lines could allude to his leaving her, her attachment to him as well as the outright reference: Crowe sings "Martinis, girls and guns, it's murder on our love affair" and Paris's last words to Bond being "This job of yours... It's murder on relationships". It's a love letter to Bond from Paris. And it works beautifully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murder on relationships   Murder on relationships Empty

Back to top Go down

Murder on relationships
Page 1 of 1