More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

xvc

Go down 
+4
bitchcraft
CJB
Blunt Instrument
Salomé
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 am

THE SQUARE (Östlund)
VOYEUR (Koury/Kane) -- Netflix Doc
GOOD TIME (Safdie Bros.)
THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (Lanthimos)
78/52 (Philippe)

Need to see PHANTOM THREAD, BLADE RUNNER, THE POST, DUNKIRK and GET OUT. That's about all I'm interested in, though.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 am

So I finally got around to see "Blade Runner" yesterday.
I had stupidly missed the fact that it was still playing at Decascoop, only on a limited number of screens and only the late night showings.

It's visually stunning (and you need to see this on a big screen) but I found the writing a bit of a letdown. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting, but it was clearly more than something akin to a recycled version of the Hera Agathon plot from "BSG".
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 9:32 am

That scene just reminded me of "Ghost", which cannot have been the intention of the filmmakers.  ROTFLMAO

I think much of the screenplay reveals the fascinations and obsessions of our time.

The philosophical basis of the original dealt with the nature of humanity, of what exactly constitutes life, the human soul ...
The replicants were people, their artificial nature just being the manner in which their otherness was defined within that universe (quite similar to BSG and the Cylons in that regard).
By making the sequel about a child that would be deemed extraordinary by replicants and humans alike, you somewhat undercut the first movie's subtext, imho. It's also a very 2017 thing to do, to focus on one special individual who stands above all others (hence the superhero obsession we are currently living through).

But I'm not arguing "Blade Runner 2049" is a bad film. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

*edit* I will say that I loved the cast, right down to the smaller supporting roles (It's always great to see Mackenzie Davis in anything). Especially the female characters were very well cast. I would say that the only exception was Jared Leto (I have never been a particularly big fan of his).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 10:33 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
It’s not about a special child so much as the convergence between humans and AI. As you say, a subject dealt with by BSG but surely too important to be limited to one TV show.

I agree the female parts are superbly cast, though it was the feminists that sunk the film. Other than the Nabakov riff, I think my favourite character interplay is this one:

I probably cannot properly articulate why exactly that aspect of the screenplay appeared cheap to me, but I can try.

I have to go back to the original film. Part of the emotional journey that the audience takes is the realization that whilst Roy and the other Nexus 6 models might employ questionable methods, their desires and beliefs are perfectly legitimate. It is a movie about recognizing the extraordinary in the seemingly mundane (within that universe). The more equivalent story line in "Blade Runner 2049" is between K and Joi. The miracle child as the main story-line somewhat misses the point of the original film, imho. Of course, that is just one reading of the material.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

xvc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: xvc   xvc - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

xvc
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: