More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Die Another Day by GQ

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Die Another Day by GQ Empty
PostSubject: Die Another Day by GQ   Die Another Day by GQ EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Bouncing into the best lines thread, I went a-googling for quotes and somehow this article came up. Fairly recent by a few weeks. On one hand I found it intriguing and on the other, I realised it's been fifteen bloody years since myself and my late friend traipsed into town full of excitement to see the latest Bond film.

Ah those halcyon days when Brosnan was Bond, or Bond hadn't been rebooted, or films averaged a reasonable time and not seem eons between....

Anyway.

https://www.gq.com/story/how-die-another-day-almost-blew-up-the-james-bond-franchise
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day by GQ   Die Another Day by GQ EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 am

Good read. 15 years, Good Lord. Not only do I remember watching it, I would've no doubt shared opinions of it on Ye Olde MI6.

Ultimately, I agree with the writer's assessment that the film had the potential of being something truly unique at that point of the Bond series (namely Bond's captivity and its aftermath) but basically, as soon as he shaves off that beard with an electric shaver (good luck) and cuts his hair into his trademark 90's Sitcom Dad style, the film ignores the North Korean bit and descends into utter farce.

Despite the criticisms of CR now, a lot of fans were hankering for a total u-turn and thought DAD had pushed the series beyond parody. For its flaws as a movie, CR basically saved the franchise, if not financially (seeing as 007 flicks make shedloads regardless) but certainly spiritually.

Quote :
It was the first Bond film to be released after 9/11, and 007’s frothy world-serving antics had already been outmoded by spies like Jason Bourne and Jack Bauer, who occupied the murkier, more complicated global landscape viewers actually recognized.

Have to say, though, it's rather odd that the spy genre entered "murky" territory in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 as if there was anything morally ambiguous about the events of that day.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day by GQ   Die Another Day by GQ EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 8:53 am

CJB wrote:

Quote :
It was the first Bond film to be released after 9/11, and 007’s frothy world-serving antics had already been outmoded by spies like Jason Bourne and Jack Bauer, who occupied the murkier, more complicated global landscape viewers actually recognized.

Have to say, though, it's rather odd that the spy genre entered "murky" territory in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 as if there was anything morally ambiguous about the events of that day.

Good point. It's as black and white as anything (despite what conspiracy theorists would tell you) so interesting that the cinematic world of espionage wanted to grey the subject matter, let alone to the point of pretension. 

It's such a shame DAD is being remembered for the two inconsequential moments of the film - the invisible car and the parasurfing. One of them is based on real technology while the other is at least Bond using his wits to get out of a jam, however unbelievable it is in its concept and/or execution. And to be honest, it's preferable to the majority of Craig's see-what-sticks action sequences.

And what's wrong with Bond's bed? I love the production design and don't think it's any different to Octopussy's octopus bed, or the fish tank bed in Diamonds Are Forever.  

I question if the writer has any idea of James Bond, not least because there has been a flying car in the series. 

Thanks for the find Hilly!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Die Another Day by GQ   Die Another Day by GQ Empty

Back to top Go down

Die Another Day by GQ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Die Another Day (2002)-
Jump to: