More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Joe Wright Filmography

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Joe Wright Filmography Empty
PostSubject: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 am

Such an underrated director, and a frontrunner to direct a Bond film in my mind. I'd be interested to know if he has ever been approached. Hanna alone should have given him a look in. Bizarre, thrilling, colourful. 

I'll kick it off with a ranking.

1. Atonement
2. Anna Karenina
3. Pride and Prejudice
4. Darkest Hour
5. Hanna
6. The Soloist
7. Pan
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Only seen Darkest Hour. Like how he did the main title early on and throughout -faintly reminiscent of old movies from the 50s.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm

As did I. Fitting for such a film. 

If you only ever watched one other Joe Wright film in your life, make it Atonement. Brilliant film. Anna Karenina is polarising, but an inventive take on the book.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptySat Jan 20, 2018 10:58 pm

I might find Atonement one of these days. As I said elsewhere, I think Darkest Hour was quite good. Even if some people can't understand the appeal of Churchill. It was as my late nan said to me once a few years ago, that in 1940, when she was about eleven, that he was the right man at the right time. And Wright did his bit and showing it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Keira Knightley lacks everything I like in women.

Miss Knightley is Joe Wright's go-to actress.

I have never seen a Joe Wright film.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I do like the "Atonement" single take, but other than that, I can't say there is much I truly admire in Joe Wright's filmography.

Even that was apparently a happy accident, in that the story goes he was originally going to shoot it in a different manner and only time constraints made him opt for the single take.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 pm

She's not in Darkest Hour, he's transferred his affections to Lily James in that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 pm

It seems Darkest Hour is my Safe Space.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 pm

She's also not in Hanna, The Soloist or Pan, but I wouldn't run to watch Pan anytime soon. laugh

Salome wrote:
I do like the "Atonement" single take, but other than that, I can't say there is much I truly admire in Joe Wright's filmography.

Even that was apparently a happy accident, in that the story goes he was originally going to shoot it in a different manner and only time constraints made him opt for the single take.

Which is all the more impressive, considering such a tracking shot with that many extras was pulled off.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh, it's a brilliant scene. More or less a condensed, more elegiac take on what Nolan tried to do in "Dunkirk".

https://vimeo.com/91846884
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 pm

But to clarify, you feel the rest of Atonement isn't up to scratch?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
But to clarify, you feel the rest of Atonement isn't up to scratch?

I honestly don't remember much of it beyond that one scene. So I guess the rest of the film didn't leave much of an impression?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 pm

I'd consider the library love scene iconic, and the confrontation between the three lead characters to be emotionally satisfying.

And the ability to present the fountain scene from different perspectives is interesting.

Not to mention, Marianelli's score is exceptional, and McGarvey's cinematography is gorgeous. I'd love to read your thoughts if you gave it a rewatch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Wright Filmography   Joe Wright Filmography Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe Wright Filmography
Page 1 of 1