These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The 2018 Oscars

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:43 am

The 2018 Oscar nominations are up. If that's not a too heteronormative way of putting it:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Once more no women have been nominated in either the Best Actor in a Leading Role or Best Actor In A Supporting Role categories - is there nothing the Neanderthal Pigs won't do to Keep Women Down? Elsewhere, misogynist megaflop Blade Runner 2049 is nominated in five categories (all technical as it's a man's film) so Roger Deakins may finally get a Best Cinematography gong. However, I am Absolutely Appalled to see that the Deeply Racist and Misogynist Dunkirk is nominated in no less than eight slots, including Best Director and Best Picture. Normally I would express my outrage here but 2018 is all about Making Hollywood a Safe Space for Female Millionaires. I yield to my sisters.

To celebrate this 90th year of the Oscars there will be a live public shaming of Catherine Millet, Catherine Deneuve and Brigitte Bardot. Sponsored by Cadillac. Tweet now.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:00 am

I honestly don't much care about the Oscars.
So many mediocre and on occasion even outright bad movies have been honored that whatever little meaning those little statues once might have held has long evaporated.

I'm surprised to see that several critics and movie journalists called 2017 an especially great year for movies. I saw a handful of movies I liked, but I'm not sure I saw many that I will still think especially fondly of in ten years time.

I guess if I care about one category, it's cinematography. It's a disgrace that Deakins has never won, but surely this time should be the occasion upon which he turns a nomination into an actual award.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:13 am

Get Out's 4 noms are interesting, particularly Best Picture.
Back to top Go down
Secret Files
Correspondent
Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:21 am

I wonder if any people of colour will be nominated or indeed even win this year? It was a big issue in other years anyhow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 am

Well Jordan Peele is nominated in the "Best Director" category.

As well as Daniel Kaluuya in the "Best Actor in a Leading Role" category.

I think both are outsiders to actually win the statue though.

In the year of #MeToo, I think there is a good chance that Greta Gerwig gets the "Best Director" award.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 am

Denzel Washington has a nom too.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am

Salomé wrote:
In the year of #MeToo, I think there is a good chance that Greta Gerwig gets the "Best Director" award.

Greta deserves it for best name alone, I reckon.

BTW, I see your 'best films' list has nothing directed by a woman, Sabs. Rewrite with 50% female directors by tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:04 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

Greta deserves it for best name alone, I reckon.

BTW, I see your 'best films' list has nothing directed by a woman, Sabs. Rewrite with 50% female directors by tomorrow.

Which list are you referring to?

I think I've posted several versions of that over the years, both on this forum and on its predecessor.

I haven't seen "Lady Bird" so I have on idea how worthy Greta Gerwig is.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 am

Salomé wrote:

This one. But I was being jocular.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 am

Personally good to see Plummer nominated again. Apparently this makes him now the oldest actor ever nominated, besting Gloria Stuart's record.

Hoping Oldman wins though he's up against some stiff competition. Not that I'll get to see the thing as always.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

This one. But I was being jocular.

Aah yes. I think if I redid that list today, "Lore" might replace "Compliance" as my 2012 pick, which would include at least one female director in the form of Cate Shortland.

"'Walkabout' in Nazi Germany" really is a much better film than it has any business being.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:46 am

Some odd nominations. Interesting that both Hanks and Spielberg didn't get nominated. Good to see the token black actors nominated too. 

Dunkirk's surprisingly well represented. What a joke. Best Production Design? You mean the film that mostly took place on a beach?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Dunkirk's surprisingly well represented. What a joke. Best Production Design? You mean the film that mostly took place on a beach?

Nolan went to great lengths to re-enact the battle using real warplanes, a French destroyer and a flotilla of the original Ramsgate boats. For anyone who knows history, it was an extraordinary accomplishment.

Also Dunkirk had the best - and most intellectually demanding - music score of 2017 (Blade Runner 2049 was a close second but that was by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch too).
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Still too many white people for my liking. Anyone paler than a cup of mocha should be banned from appearing in movies.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

Nolan went to great lengths to re-enact the battle using real warplanes, a French destroyer and a flotilla of the original Ramsgate boats. For anyone who knows history, it was an extraordinary accomplishment.

For a period piece, accuracy is expected, isn't it? Perhaps I'm looking for a little more imagination.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:12 am

FieldsMan wrote:
For a period piece, accuracy is expected, isn't it?

Expected but rarely delivered - I still laugh at Braveheart's Battle of Stirling Bridge minus bridge. A recent warfilm that went to great lengths to get details right was Fury:

Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:20 pm

I won't fault "Fury" for technical accuracy when it came to showing the advantages of German versus American armour, but the skirmishes felt video game-y to me (not least of all the final act where Brad Pitt and friends mowed down half the Third Reich).
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
For a period piece, accuracy is expected, isn't it?

Expected but rarely delivered - I still laugh at Braveheart's Battle of Stirling Bridge minus bridge. A recent warfilm that went to great lengths to get details right was Fury:

I'm not an expert on armour battles myself, but I know at least one historian who did not deem those scenes to be historically accurate.
I don't recall the exact details of his argument, but I'll ask him about it again next time I see him.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:39 pm

The Fury production team persuaded Bovington to lend its Tiger I, the only surviving working example; most war films are content to have the Germans fielding Patton tanks. Bovington's press rease from Sept. 2014, my bold:

Quote :

Brad Pitt visited The Tank Museum, at the end of August, with his co-stars Logan Lerman and Jon Bernthal and writer-director David Ayer to promote the release of the upcoming film Fury. Pitt also reunited with two of his larger co-stars: the hero Sherman tank that would play the role of Fury, and Bovington’s world-renowned Tiger 131. The Tank Museum was first involved with Fury when writer-director David Ayer reached out to the museum seeking out expertise, crew and vehicles. One of Ayer’s mandates for the production was that it would be told in a way that would be as historically accurate as possible. Later, the stars of Fury came to the Museum to learn firsthand about the history of tank warfare, whilst being given a tour around the impressive display of vehicles in the Museum’s collection. They also took the time to visit the ranges at Lulworth, to see the modern British Army tanks in action.

Original Second World War vehicles were at the top of the list for Ayer and it was agreed that the Museum would loan its Sherman tank as the main ‘hero’ tank for the duration of the filming. After much discussion, the Museum agreed to loan its world-renowned Tiger 131 tank as well for a two week trip to the film set. Museum staff crewed these vehicles and remained on set with a recovery tank in case there were any breakdowns. This was the first time that the Tiger 131 had left Bovington since 1953 and, most importantly, the first time since 1946 that an original Tiger I tank has appeared in a major film production. The Sherman tank takes centre stage as ‘Fury’, the home of the American tank crew, which will come face-to-face with the fearsome Tiger as the crew find themselves behind German lines at the end of the Second World War. David Willey, Curator at The Tank Museum, "With our unrivalled collection, our contacts and staff we were an obvious choice for the filmmakers to consult. We hear how well the British film industry is doing and, having seen those skills at work on the set, it was fantastic to realise that the collection here is part of that success. After witnessing the care and attention that has gone in to making this war film, we really look forward to seeing the end results."

I don't deny the controversy about some of the tactics shown in the clip above, but much of that is based on a misconception that the Shermans used by the Americans were Fireflies. They weren't - the US Army foolishly turned down that British development with its much heavier 76 mm gun. Not directly related to Fury, but I read Shunsaku Tamiya's autobiography recently. Over a 20-year period he examined most of the world's fighting vehicles and made the very interesting observation that only the Japanese and Soviet tanks failed to provide any form of escape hatch for their crews. He thought it said plenty about national character…
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am

Ryan Seacrest is in #MeToo's* crosshairs this evening.

Should be an interesting red carpet show, delayed by 30 seconds in case of any confrontations.

Seacrest was been accused by a former stylist of sexual harassment from 2007-13. Apparently, it was such horrible treatment she decided to put up with it for 6 years.  huh E! had the matter investigated, by the way, by outside counsel, and found insufficient evidence to support the "survivor's" claims. Seacrest still remains guilty.

*#donate #PayPal #Visa #Mastercard
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Roger Deakins finally won and Jordan Peele got a well-deserved Oscar for his original screenplay.
Otherwise, a fairly forgettable edition.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Roger Deakins winning was certainly the highlight. 

All the acting favourites won. 

Frances McDormand's speech disappointed. 

Don't think Jordan Peele deserved best original screenplay. Thought Lady Bird or Three Billboards were more deserving. Haven't seen the other nominees. 

Jimmy Kimmel was rather pedestrian. And spineless.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm

I haven't seen "Lady Bird", but in terms of the writing, "Three Billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri" is by far Martin McDonagh's poorest effort.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wint
Trainee Correspondent
Trainee Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:15 am

Roger Deakins. Finally!
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 2 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:30 am

Boycotted it when I saw the Trump-hating turd who was presenting it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 Oscars   

Back to top Go down

The 2018 Oscars
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: