More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight

Go down 
+2
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Kath
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight Empty
PostSubject: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 pm

This video points out why SP is a bad film (so you will most likely like it. Even I do. That hilarious music... big grin).
It was done by the same youtuber who did the video about CR (I really start to love his videos and I must watch more of them).

SF is actually extremely close to The Dark Knight.
I can add to the pointed out aspects: some dialogues are the same; at least one plot-element is the same;  The Dark Knight in turn features a nice reference to earlier Bond films.

I only disagree with the video in one point. Two-Face Harvey is not Blofeld. He is Silva. Facial disfiguration works here as well...The change of identity, too; Tiago Rodriguez becomes Raoul Silva.
The Dark Knight references can only be found in SF.
So, anyone here interested in a The Dark Knight / SF, SP discussion?
And he nails the problematic influence of "mass production" franchises quite well, IMO. One of his other reference systems is Star Trek.

[/i][/i]

Last edited by Kath on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Kath wrote:
So, anyone here interested in a The Dark Knight / SF, SP discussion?

I don't need anyone to point out to me that Spectre is a bad film, but I'll bite. You go first, though. I know Skyfall unfeasibly well, but will need to rewatch TDK; always thought one viewing was one too many.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 am

Austin Powers music makes SP a little more palatable, strangely enough.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 am

That video didn't really say much beyond "Dark Knight was good because it had intertwined sequences, SPECTRE sucked because it had long pauses."

Having said that, SPECTRE did have annoyingly long pauses and it did, in actual fact, suck.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 am

CJB wrote:
That video didn't really say much beyond "Dark Knight was good because it had intertwined sequences, SPECTRE sucked because it had long pauses."

Having said that, SPECTRE did have annoyingly long pauses and it did, in actual fact, suck.

Pretty much. 

Though I wasn't expecting much from the guy who lauds CR as being the best Bond ever because it deconstructed Bond.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyFri Feb 23, 2018 3:48 am

SF is the film devoted to lifting from TDK-not SP....I'm really tired of false online videos...there's no real analysis or sense of industry let alone history.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyFri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 pm

CJB wrote:

No! I especially love the parallel between Star Trek and SP. Khan introduces himself to Kirk and the young, re-booted and "new" Kirk of a parallel universe has no idea who he is. How could he? The fans know who Khan is, but the protagonist doesn't. The same applies to Bond. He only comments upon the name "Blofeld", because he has no idea what is connected with this name. That is what happens when franchises bite their own tails.

hegottheboot wrote:
SF is the film devoted to lifting from TDK-not SP

So, you agree with me? That's pretty much what I said.

Let's see what we can find out about the orphan with the advanced technological gadgets and the equally technologically improved car...

Did I say "orphan"?
I mean "orphans".

I had my first back flash to Batman when Bond introduces the gamekeeper Kincade who had to deal with the orphaned Bond. Because that has always been Alfred's job. He's the butler of the Wayne family, although he took to bring young Bruce up when his parents couldn't. We are never told what happens to orphaned Bond. Still, there is no such servant figure in Fleming and I think he was lifted from Batman. Obviously he has taught young Bond how to shoot; the similarity of servant figures who were responsible for the upbringing in some way or other is obvious, IMO. The Skyfall mansion does not exactly look "poor"; although it is not quite a match for the Wayne mansion. That's not Fleming, either.
And if that wasn't enough, we get that close-up of the grave stone of Bond's parents. That's something you will be very accustomed to if you have, e.g. played some of the Arkham games. If you have watched the second Burton film, you may remember the Penguin, Oswald Cobblepot, waddling to the grave of his parents (tragic and comical a the same time). This gravestone of both parents is something very iconic for the world of Batman. I wonder if we ever see that of Selina Kyle's parents? Does anyone know?

I am sorry to say that the plot-element of provoking one's own detention by purpose to enter the premises was completely lifted from TDK. Silva's genius plan is the Joker's genius plan. ("Do you know how I got those scars?"...) The footage shown in the video, when visuals clearly echo and relate these scenes, only underlines this bigger aspect of an adopted plot-element.
There are references which are so obvious, that I have to agree that SF was intended as homage, pastiche, reference, whatever to TDK.

But they're probably stealing back. Because the TDK trilogy is the only Batman medium, IIRC, which portrays Wayne as a womanizer. In his Wayne persona he usually appears with two large girls at his side, taller than himself, a fancy car, and a suit.
Wayne uses old CIA technology (meaning something a secret service has developed). Lucius Fox is his private Q who has to develop it further for him.
That gig of infiltrating the retreat of a villain in China to abduct him could stem from a Bond film. Just that Bond would blow up the building before attaching his flying balloon to a plane...

I will let that suffice. What do you say? And we obviously do not have to stick to the video. big grin
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyTue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 am

A lot of critiques like this are floating around YouTube as if it's any fucking mystery that directors, producers, writers, etc. borrow effective or popular elements from other films. Brian De Palma was doing this decades ago but had a lot more talent which yielded better results. See: BLOW OUT (1981)

I remember watching one of these reviews about SKYFALL, which made the same comparisons to Nolan's Batman movies. Only difference between SKYFALL and SPECTRE, in relation to borrowing from other franchises, is that Mendes did a better job with SKYFALL and created a film that was miles better than all three of Nolan's Batman films.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyTue Feb 27, 2018 7:33 am

I don't think "Spectre" needed the influence of "TDK" to suck, just Craig sleepwalking to his entire performances would have been enough for that.

I will say that I have always found "The Dark Knight" ridiculously overrated. It does feature a memorable performances by Heath Ledger, I will give it that.

Also, the pencil trick scene is a perfect encapsulation of the Joker character, within a sequence that is maybe twenty seconds long.

But there are so many other issues with that film. At least Nolan's first Batman film is structurally sound. By contrast, the third act of TDK is a huge mess.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm

At least it may account for the rumours that Nolan will take over the helm in the future...

I agree, The Dark Knight Rises is just too long, too full, too much of everything, which is a real shame. TDK is actually the strongest in the series, IMO, just because the Joker is such an enigmatic villain. His uncontrolled actions, or his madness that does have some sanity in it, makes him much more dangerous than Batman's former teacher Ras al Ghul. The return of Thalia al Ghul is a nice move in the last film, though. It offers a kind of closure which I find very nice.

I know that many films borrow from other films, but normally it's more like bits and pieces instead of a full-blown borrowing from one film only. That accounts for the focusing on Bond's childhood as an orphan, IMO. This relation changes how we are supposed to see SK and brings Bond in relation with another character. Other "adaptations" don't offer that kind of dialogue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight   Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight Empty

Back to top Go down

Video: SPECTRE the negative effetcs of the Dark Knight
Page 1 of 1