More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg Empty
PostSubject: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 3:46 pm

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/edgar-wright-interviews-steven-spielberg-duel/

As part of Empire's Steven Spielberg take-over, Edgar Wright interviewed Steven Spielberg about "Duel".
I thought the piece was interesting enough to share on here.

I hadn't realized until now that he shot the entire thing in just 11 days, though considering it was shot for TV, that should not be a huge surprise.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 pm

Interesting if sycophantic interview, thanks for posting that - not the sort of thing I would have read left to my own devices.

Duel remains the only Spielberg film I really enjoy, though I haven't seen much he's done in the last 20 years. Maybe the guerrilla filmmaking tactics he mentions adds an energy to the film. Plus, there's no sentimental mum and kids.

Odd that both Duel and The Killers (Siegel) were intended for the gogglebox but ended up on the big screen (in Europe at least); The Killers was considered too violent for TV, IIRC. What other films made that transition?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 pm

"La Meglio Gioventu" was originally meant to be a TV mini-series.
It ended but being cut into two theatrically released three hour movies instead.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Duel remains the only Spielberg film I really enjoy, though I haven't seen much he's done in the last 20 years. Maybe the guerrilla filmmaking tactics he mentions adds an energy to the film. Plus, there's no sentimental mum and kids.

Neither Spielberg nor Scorsese has made their best work in the 21st century, but I find Scorsese's later work considerably better and more interesting than Spielberg's.

e.g. "Bridge of Spies" was fine but it's not a movie you have to see. It's an adequate adaptation, nothing more, nothing less.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Salomé wrote:
It ended but being cut into two theatrically released three hour movies instead.

Did Das Boot go the other way? Made for TV but cut down for the cinema in some territories?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

Did Das Boot go the other way? Made for TV but cut down for the cinema in some territories?

I think it was originally made for cinema but an extended cut was turned into a TV mini-series.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Ah right. Dreadful Boot remake on its way I read.

Coming back to Duel, I've only seen the Euro version. The Movie of the Week cut is said to be better.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 3:55 pm

The late-70s pilot movies of both Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica got cinema releases.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptyMon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
The late-70s pilot movies of both Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica got cinema releases.

That's right. Think that was just in the UK, possibly Europe as well.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 am

Duel had scenes added for the theatrical release in Europe. The TV version is tighter. So there are two versions, and the theatrical matted to 1.85.
The film works in either cut thought the TV original is unavailable. The Blu-ray uses the stupid widescreen matting and should have been presented in the original 1.33 which I saw once in a theater and looked amazing. Duel is a masterpiece that Spielberg cannot replicate.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 am

Erica Ambler wrote:

Dreadful Boot?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 am

G section wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:

Dreadful Boot?

More of a sequel apparently. How's your Deutsch?

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.dreharbeiten-in-muenchen-das-boot-als-serie-und-es-hat-ping-gemacht.493baae4-4cfa-442c-badb-4577497f9755.html
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 am

It was right there, guys.
Das Re-Boot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg   Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg Empty

Back to top Go down

Duel - Edgar Wright interviews Steven Spielberg
Page 1 of 1