More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy

Go down 
+3
CJB
Hilly
Blunt Instrument
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  Empty
PostSubject: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

I got a text earlier today from someone I used to work with (I see little-to-nothing of him these days outside of Facebook), asking to borrow SPECTRE as his son had been set a Media Studies homework on it and 'you're the biggest Bond fan I know'.  

Resentful of both being bothered on a Sunday and of his son's homework sounding like a helluva lot more fun than any I ever had to do, in response I pretended I'd accidentally scratched the disc quite badly the last time I'd watched it meaning that it now didn't play properly.

What a terrible person I am laugh .
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySun Apr 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Oh Blunty, personally I'd have slotted home OHMSS. "The boy can learn from this."

or DAF. Sounds better homework than what I had to do.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySun Apr 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Indeed, Hilly. Indeed.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyMon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am

Whose toes did the poor kid tread on to be assigned SPRECTUM for homework?

Anyway, I agree that you should give him a copy of DAF. Lana Wood is how a boy becomes a man.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySat Apr 28, 2018 1:55 pm

I would love to teach Bond...

Actually, present-day films might be better suited for a media studies homework (depending on the age of the students and their level of skills) because older films use a slightly different film language (often a question of style); but it might be easier to give them something they might be acquainted with anyway. This is very clever, actually; chances that half of the class has seen the latest Bond film are pretty good. So they have seen the film some time ago and only have to focus on the details now. And SP does feature some fabulous scenes to work with, come on.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySat Apr 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Kath wrote:

Christ on a bike ...
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 pm

They can by them cheaply enough nowadays anyway. Just have to go to their local exchange shop to pick up a cheap copy of Spectre.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptySun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:

Christ on a bike ...

No worries. My university has made very sure that I will never teach Bond.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I got a text earlier today from someone I used to work with (I see little-to-nothing of him these days outside of Facebook), asking to borrow SPECTRE as his son had been set a Media Studies homework on it and 'you're the biggest Bond fan I know'.  

Resentful of both being bothered on a Sunday and of his son's homework sounding like a helluva lot more fun than any I ever had to do, in response I pretended I'd accidentally scratched the disc quite badly the last time I'd watched it meaning that it now didn't play properly.

Accidentally? I'm quite sure any damage to a SP disc is shamelessly deliberate.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 8:07 am

Now now ... I'm not crazy about the 'Brofeld' thing or the attempt made at retconning all of Craig's Bonds via the SPECTRE ring. But I don't dislike it anywhere near as much as the rest of this place seems to.

Although it's no Skyfall, granted.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 10:17 am

Kath wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:

Christ on a bike ...

Don't let me discourage you and there are lots of universities out there. It's just I find the Wimmin's Studies approach to James Bond a bit like Jews for Jesus. Hard to grasp.
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 11:42 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:

Christ on a bike ...

Don't let me discourage you and there are lots of universities out there. It's just I find the Wimmin's Studies approach to James Bond a bit like Jews for Jesus. Hard to grasp.

I would focus on adaptation theory. In a hypothetical world where I could follow my own research interests. No university can fix that. I am not a member of a department of British Literature.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Kath wrote:
I would focus on adaptation theory.

Adaptation theory sounds interesting. What is it?
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:
I would focus on adaptation theory.

Adaptation theory sounds interesting. What is it?

Why bother? I have to wrap my mind around Sex and the City.
My university sees things differently. It was decided that MY "time is up". Simply like that. Hurt feelings of a (male) professor are more important than (Bond) research. Now I have to listen to feminism when I know that it does not exist. At least no-one cares or bothers when it comes to the fact that my research can be discarded for unprofessional reasons. I mean, it is openly stated that he can do as he pleases and if he does not get along with me (you name it!), that's it. First thing he did after I was forced to leave the department was try to get in touch at campus. This is ALL about his emotions and I am sure that someone must have figured. I dread that stupid campus because of that encounter.
And no-one cares if I'm skilled or not.
My Bond research was supposed to die. It didn't.
But I will never teach.

That is your jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy.
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 5:47 pm

I will never write another Bond article in a million years.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:47 pm

nm

Last edited by Perilagu Khan on Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Oh Blunty, personally I'd have slotted home OHMSS. "The boy can learn from this."

or DAF. Sounds better homework than what I had to do.

In my city, the school district has banned homework because "privileged" children have better conditions at home in which to do homework, and this disadvantages the...er...disadvantaged.

sarcasm
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:50 pm

CJB wrote:
Whose toes did the poor kid tread on to be assigned SPRECTUM for homework?

Anyway, I agree that you should give him a copy of DAF. Lana Wood is how a boy becomes a man.

Lana IS wood.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Kath wrote:

Actually, present-day films might be better suited for a media studies homework (depending on the age of the students and their level of skills) because older films use a slightly different film language (often a question of style); but it might be easier to give them something they might be acquainted with anyway. This is very clever, actually; chances that half of the class has seen the latest Bond film are pretty good. So they have seen the film some time ago and only have to focus on the details now. And SP does feature some fabulous scenes to work with, come on.

I wonder how many li'l blighters have been assigned Black Panther so they can research the history of Wakanda?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Kath wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:

Christ on a bike ...

At my uni they teach bondage in the Women's Studies Department.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Now now ... I'm not crazy about the 'Brofeld' thing or the attempt made at retconning all of Craig's Bonds via the SPECTRE ring. But I don't dislike it anywhere near as much as the rest of this place seems to.

Although it's no Skyfall, granted.    

I've said this elsewhere--or perhaps it was here?--but if Kubrick had directed a Bond film it would have resembled SP. Now that doesn't make SP good necessarily, but it does lend a certain aesthetic interest, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Sunuvabitchin' saboteur!

laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  EmptyWed May 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I know. Shocking, positively shocking!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy    A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy  Empty

Back to top Go down

A jolly tale of Bond-related misanthropy
Page 1 of 1