More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?

Go down 
+3
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
hegottheboot
ironpony
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? Empty
PostSubject: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Basically when you watch the older entries, a lot of them didn't accept for ones in FRWL, TB, OP, and TSWLM, and DAF, but that's not most of them really, which I find strange, for a time when it was much more common.

Did the filmmakers or Fleming usually not like Bond girls smoking perhaps?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 8:50 am

I dunno. I've never really considered it-but then again the series has always downplayed Bond's own habit which is far less than Fleming's characterization. After a few films Connery doesn't smoke much, so that by YOLT outside of the baby rocket cigarette it is only when posing as Fisher that he smokes. George does a little, Roger smoked his cigars early on before apparently quitting, Timothy has a wonderful moment when blowing smoke at Koskov's false story in TLD but otherwise didn't smoke much and Brosnan said something about not smoking to not provide an image to younger children save for the Cuban cigar in DAD as it was a cultural item and part of the recognition code.

The series has never had much smoking at all and most of it is secondary such as the diner table in DN. Look at any 40's film for tons of smoking in comparison or how they smoke so much in the control room scenes of FANTASTIC VOYAGE that it along with the interior lungs being harmed by smoking was later used in an American Cancer Society commercial.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am

Oh okay thanks, what do you mean by recognition code?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay thanks, what do you mean by recognition code?

The passcode exchange regarding the delectados cigars that allows Raoul to identify Bond as an agent.

And HGTB, I thought it was Craig who didn't want Bond to smoke because of the children. Could have been both. 

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 5:22 pm

In a Goldeneye interview, Martin Campbell said that he wasn't interested in 'that political correctness rubbish' but the one thing he wouldn't have Bond do is smoke 'because smoking kills people'.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 6:16 pm

It's funny Martin Campbell said this cause if you watch him in the behind the scenes of Goldeneye, Martin himself is smoking.

However, I can understand why Bond doesn't smoke, is cause he is an agent who wants to keep physically fit. I just felt that they could have allowed the more civilian like characters to smoke.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
In a Goldeneye interview, Martin Campbell said that he wasn't interested in 'that political correctness rubbish' but the one thing he wouldn't have Bond do is smoke 'because smoking kills people'.  

And then along comes CR06...
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:

"Right, now we're going to simulate simulate metal cylinders tearing through flesh and organs after being propelled from the hero's assault rifle and--HEY BUDDY PUT THAT FAG DOWN!"
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Indeed. There's a 'Surgeon General' warning in the end credits of LTK about the depicted use of tobacco products in the film, but nothing about all the other stuff in there that would end your life a helluva lot quicker.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 am

There was a time when smoking in public was deemed somewhat vulgar for a woman to engage in, but I can't believe that was a factor in this trend.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 am

Salomé wrote:
There was a time when smoking in public was deemed somewhat vulgar for a woman to engage in

True, though during that time it was commonplace for women to smoke throughout pregnancy. Somethings change.

But the OP makes an interesting point. It's easy to forget that Ian Fleming was a great liberal (in the old honourable sense of the word not the quasi-fascist sense it has today) and very advanced in his social thinking, particularly for one of his class and generation.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 am

ironpony wrote:
...a lot of them didn't accept for ones in FRWL, TB, OP, and TSWLM, and DAF...
Did the filmmakers or Fleming usually not like Bond girls smoking perhaps?

And LTK, GE & SF, to nit-pick.

Several of Fleming's girls smoked. Always handy to have those square-cut, unvarnished thumb nails for opening those fresh packs of Chesterfields.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 am

But that's just it though, after TB, hardly any Bond girls smoked until LTK.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 am

BTW, who smoked in DAF? Tiffany? When?
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 am

Oh right, Tiffany did in the one scene, in bed with Connery.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Oh yeah, almost using his chest hair for an ashtray.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 am

The mighty Connerhair can do all says Zardoz.

It generally seems that smoking was less commonly seen onscreen as time moved on plus there was the rise of anti-smoking campaigns etc.

Although Domino with her Players is impossible. "The first man I ever sinned with..."
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Whereas Xenia smoking a cigar sets her apart as a wrong 'un for sure.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 11:55 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
Whereas Xenia smoking a cigar sets her apart as a wrong 'un for sure.

Like Waltz's Blofeld going sockless in SPECTRE. Or maybe that's just a personal dislike of mine, lol.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 am

I always thought her cigars were not only a sign of strength and virility but certainly perhaps a bit phallic which would further her umm....other passions...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 2:49 am

Like Moneypenny, she knows exactly where to put that...
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 11:34 am

This thread has reminded me of this old gag -

'Do you smoke after sex?'

'I don't know, I've never looked'.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Or, as my dear sister used to say when asked "Do you mind if I smoke?"
"Not at all, Do you mind if I fart? I know it's a bad habit, but I've got them down to ten a day - and after sex, I just can't resist lighting one up!"
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am

laugh
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 3:56 am

ROTFLMAO

If anyone ever says do you mind if I smoke I automatically without thinking reply: "It won't be the nicotine that kills you Mr. Bond."
Result: Blank stares as everyone backs away slowly.

Problem solved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?   How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days? Empty

Back to top Go down

How come most of the Bond girls didn't smoke in the old days?
Page 1 of 1