These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3594
Member Since : 2011-03-20
Location : Belfast, Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:07 am

I must try not to be too smug when those divorces start landing.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 774
Member Since : 2011-08-19
Location : Station 'C' - Canada

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 am

There's room for a gay superagent, a black superagent, a female superagent, etc. - bring 'em on!

But none of them have to be named James Bond. Leave us hetero (ie: 'sexist, misogynist') dinosaurs something!
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4723
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:06 am

Yep. Equality doesn't mean invading an existing franchise and claiming it something else. Equality is developing a separate series of films and books that have the appeal to transcend generations.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2859
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm

This is why I have little interest in all of the gender-swapped franchises like "Ghostbusters" and "Ocean's 8". I also don't understand why the actresses involved in those are excited by the prospect of just redoing something that has already been done before.

It's also why I have some time for "355", a female led spy thriller which is original material.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6137
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Under the spreading chestnut tree

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Salomé wrote:
This is why I have little interest in all of the gender-swapped franchises like "Ghostbusters" and "Ocean's 8". I also don't understand why the actresses involved in those are excited by the prospect of just redoing something that has already been done before.

Because those films are all about making the rich ever richer. That's all feminism is nowadays; it's for the privileged few not the ordinary working Jill. Maybe that's all it ever was but now the elite get to complain about their privilege as well. Hence all those $100k black dresses representing #metoo.

None of these gender-first films will ever succeed artistically or financially because the money isn’t onscreen; it’s divvied-up between Top Totty, while they tweet about the oh-so-shocking brutality of the white working-class. Meanwhile, the status of ordinary women in muslim societies - and the plight of poor white girls in England, who are being systematically raped and trafficked by British Pakistani gangs - is ignored completely.

Feminism. Of the rich. For the rich.

#worldoutofkilter
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3676
Member Since : 2011-03-22
Location : The high plains

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:46 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Yep. Equality doesn't mean invading an existing franchise and claiming it something else. Equality is developing a separate series of films and books that have the appeal to transcend generations.

Alas, they're not interested in equality. Supremacy and forced subordination of the majority is their game. Making Bond anything he's not supposed to be is one demarche in this civilizational gambit.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6137
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Under the spreading chestnut tree

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
Yep. Equality doesn't mean invading an existing franchise and claiming it something else. Equality is developing a separate series of films and books that have the appeal to transcend generations.

Alas, they're not interested in equality. Supremacy and forced subordination of the majority is their game. Making Bond anything he's not supposed to be is one demarche in this civilizational gambit.

Plus he who controls the past controls the future; the left is rewriting fact and fiction, whether historical or James Bond. And it needs to, because reality provides no basis for any of its beliefs.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6881
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
He arguably forces himself on Pussy (steady) in the barn scene in GF, too.

But hey. Different times.  

She embraces him, but it is also pretty creepy. Just not as creepy as coercing a woman to have sex with you or else she'd lose her job. Doesn't matter to me if that was "acceptable" in the 1960s, it's just plain gross.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4723
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:
Yep. Equality doesn't mean invading an existing franchise and claiming it something else. Equality is developing a separate series of films and books that have the appeal to transcend generations.

Alas, they're not interested in equality. Supremacy and forced subordination of the majority is their game. Making Bond anything he's not supposed to be is one demarche in this civilizational gambit.

Plus he who controls the past controls the future; the left is rewriting fact and fiction, whether historical or James Bond. And it needs to, because reality provides no basis for any of its beliefs.

If that's the case-- which I don't disagree with, by the way-- why are you behind the casting of Idris Elba in the role when it's rewriting who Bond is?

Why can't Elba have his own spy to play?
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6137
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Under the spreading chestnut tree

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
He who controls the past controls the future; the left is rewriting fact and fiction, whether historical or James Bond. And it needs to, because reality provides no basis for any of its beliefs.

If that's the case-- which I don't disagree with, by the way-- why are you behind the casting of Idris Elba in the role when it's rewriting who Bond is?

I don't see what you mean. James Bond and Idris Elba are both tall, dark, handsome and British, with sex and violence just below the surface. What more could you ask for? I'd say Elba may be the best Bond we never had. He's too old now, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6881
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:58 am

Black people aren't the same as white people.

That's the argument.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4723
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:35 pm

It really isn't MP.

Bond is as Ambler describes, with Scottish and Swiss roots, written with Hoagy Carmichael in mind as guide for Bond's appearance.

This is about casting. Casting someone who fits the bill both physically as well as characteristically.

In Ambler's words:

Erica Ambler wrote:
Plus he who controls the past controls the future; the left is rewriting fact and fiction, whether historical or James Bond. And it needs to, because reality provides no basis for any of its beliefs.

The reality is Bond is white, and it's the left who's trying to rewrite Bond as something otherwise.

I love this quote:

Milton Friedman wrote:
A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom ahead of equality will get a high degree of both

Someone who is black, white, yellow and anything in between has the freedom to make their own series.

Unfortunately it's fashionable to achieve only tokenistic equality, so those genuinely hoping to see a social shift won't get it. The left are more concerned with making statements than gearing for positive change.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6881
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Except we have Daniel Craig, who's largely been embraced, that doesn't exactly fit the descriptions of Fleming's Bond beyond "white male". We're pretty far from Fleming at this point, so it no longer matters.

We already have a black Felix Leiter. I don't think anyone but the most rigid Bond fans gives a crap.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2859
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Makeshift Python wrote:
Black people aren't the same as white people.

That's the argument.

By that reasoning, Tom Hiddleston would make a better James Bond than Idris Elba which is an almost absurd notion.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6137
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Under the spreading chestnut tree

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

It's all about setting; If Bond is set in the present there's no reason why 007 shouldn't be black. Obviously it's a different matter if you want to make a period piece.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2859
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
It's all about setting; If Bond is set in the present there's no reason why 007 shouldn't be black. Obviously it's a different matter if you want to make a period piece.

In both scenarios, Tom Hiddleston would make a poor choice of a James Bond.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6137
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Under the spreading chestnut tree

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm more interested in Bond’s swagger and attitude than his pigmentation. James Bond is all about movement and Craig can't run or  walk right; he doesn't have the X-factor. Elba had it in spades. So to speak.

Ops wrote:
Tom Hiddleston would make a poor choice of a James Bond.

His taste in women is appalling so I agree. Hiddleston and Swift would have been a new low even for Eon.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 4723
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : The Alpine Room

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am

Tom Hiddleston wouldn't make a good Bond either. The only well known actor who would fit the bill is Michael Fassbender, otherwise go for a lesser known actor who has the qualities that make Bond, Bond.

MP wrote:
Except we have Daniel Craig, who's largely been embraced, that doesn't exactly fit the descriptions of Fleming's Bond beyond "white male". We're pretty far from Fleming at this point, so it no longer matters.

We already have a black Felix Leiter. I don't think anyone but the most rigid Bond fans gives a crap.

Just because something is, it doesn't mean it's good. Daniel Craig was never right for the role.

And as I alluded to in an earlier post, Jeffrey Wright's casting was a statement. His portrayal is about as bland as Rik Van Nutter's or John Terry's, so it's not as though he cast for his magnetic screen presence.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 774
Member Since : 2011-08-19
Location : Station 'C' - Canada

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 am

I've said it before, but here goes:
Alex Price!
(Sid Carter on Father Brown and one of Doctor Who's Vampires of Venice.)


Last edited by AMC Hornet on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6881
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:07 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
And as I alluded to in an earlier post, Jeffrey Wright's casting was a statement. His portrayal is about as bland as Rik Van Nutter's or John Terry's, so it's not as though he cast for his magnetic screen presence.

I disagree, he's got a lot more presence than Van Nutter and Terry, which makes his under-utilization in QOS that more disappointing. He's not getting the work he's getting these days just because it's a casting statement. I'm pretty sure he also got the gig because Craig recommended him after working with him prior to Bond.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3594
Member Since : 2011-03-20
Location : Belfast, Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 am

Director Antoine Fuqua supposedly had a recent conversation with Babs in which she said that 'the time is right' for a black Bond.

The shoddy Daily Star tabloid is the source, though.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6881
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:56 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Director Antoine Fuqua supposedly had a recent conversation with Babs in which she said that 'the time is right' for a black Bond.

The shoddy Daily Star tabloid is the source, though.  

I think Babs might have seen the box office receipts for BLACK PANTHER, hence "the time is right". It was a bigger hit than any Bond film has ever been, and that was just the first film.

If there's a black Bond, I'd like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor get the gig.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6137
Member Since : 2011-08-05
Location : Under the spreading chestnut tree

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
If there's a black Bond, I'd like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor get the gig.

Well, I don't want a Bond chosen because he's black; I agree with Fields there. With Elba, his colour seems incidental, which is how it should be unless you buy into identity politics crap.

Also, while Ejiofor is a good actor he's no taller than Craig and seems altogether too nice for Bond. Ejiofor is neither menacing or sexy.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2859
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 pm

I think Ejiofor is sexy, but his appeal lacks the darkness and danger that Idris does possess.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6881
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:49 am

I wouldn't discount the possibility of the next Bond veering toward a lighter take like Roger Moore's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond   

Back to top Go down
 
Brosnan: #MeToo shouldn't affect Bond
Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: