These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Location : I don't know what things will be like in 3 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:17 am

England's worst form of execution. The first guy, Sir Thomas Culpeper got it easy, he was just decapitated. His crime, shagging Henry's fifth wife Catherine Howard after gaining the King's trust.

Culpeper was arrested on orders from the King and, in December 1541, was tried for treason alongside Francis Dereham, who was separately accused of sexual relations with the Queen before her marriage to Henry. Catherine had not hidden the affair with Culpeper from members of her household, who now testified against her to protect themselves.

The Queen was portrayed as having seduced Culpeper at Chenies Palace in Buckinghamshire, although it could easily have been the other way around. With testimony given of private meetings at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, and during the royal progress to the north of England in the summer of 1541, his fate was sealed. Culpeper admitted under torture to having had sexual relations with Catherine. Both Culpeper and Dereham were found guilty and sentenced to death.

The means of death was to be particularly gruesome: they were both to be hanged, drawn and quartered. Both men pleaded for leniency; Culpeper, presumably because of his former closeness to the King, received a commuted sentence of simple beheading. Dereham received no such mercy.

Brutality at it's fucking worst. Wish I was in the original crowd with my HD camera.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:21 am

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:

Brutality at it's fucking worst. Wish I was in the original crowd with my HD camera.

You're only slightly starting to scare me... :shock:

;)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Thomas Hardy liked to watch a good civilised hanging. He found it most exhilarating. Used it as the basis for Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
(Oh dear. Have I given away the ending?)

:arrow: Top 10 Gruesome Methods ofExecution
The link I posted earlier claims that flaying was being practiced in Burma as recently as 2000. Is that true? :shock:
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 pm

What a lovely tea party.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Well the incident in Burma doesn't seem to have been government sanctioned. Seems like a war crime committed by the soldiers themselves to me...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 pm

As the Tatmadaw rule Burma, your point is moot, Daisy. In South Africa, my occasional place of residence, the ANC - in continual office since the end of apartheid - was burning people alive throughout the 1980s.

BTW, can one of the mods move this from television to general discussion?
No, bugger off. Dublo.

i fergot how 2 du that - Benny

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Well my point was simply that when such an act happens in a dodgy regime, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a common means of execution.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:29 pm

ambler wrote:

Curious that the iron maiden isn't there.

Oddly enough, scaphism is the one that disturbs me the most.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Sharky wrote:
ambler wrote:

Curious that the iron maiden isn't there.

Nothing odd about that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Sharky wrote:
I'd probably go with Zyklon B. Somehow the industrialisation of murder is the grimmest of human follies.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 pm

ambler wrote:
Sharky wrote:
I'd probably go with Zyklon B. Somehow the industrialisation of murder is the grimmest of human follies.

Well I meant from the list. I'm strangely unfazed by most of the stuff there. Though I'd have to agree - the industrialisation of murder is one of the most abominable products of the 20th century. The advances of the 19th century, conflated with man's inherent flaws.

No Zyklon B? No Chinese rat torture? No stoning? No garotte? No Andrew Lloyd Webber?
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Moved to General Discussion. :)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Sawing ... urgh *shudders*.

Bond was getting off lightly with Goldfinger's laser (well, compared to the book).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?   

Back to top Go down

Been hanged, drawn and quartered recently?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: General Discussion-
Jump to: