More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Battle of the Bonds!

Go down 
+2
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
6 posters

Which do you prefer?
FRWL Titles
Battle of the Bonds! Vote_lcap63%Battle of the Bonds! Vote_rcap
 63% [ 5 ]
GF Titles
Battle of the Bonds! Vote_lcap37%Battle of the Bonds! Vote_rcap
 37% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Battle of the Bonds! Empty
PostSubject: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 9:15 am

Brownjohn created the FRWL and GF titles sequences. FRWL used the gypsy as inspiration while GF capitalised on the golden girl-- and clearly reworking a winning template from the previous film. Credits on a gypsy was an inspired idea and while this wouldn't have worked with a  golden girl, footage was projected onto her instead. Then there are the songs - the opening horns blasts of Barry's FRWL instrumental has become synonymous with the Bond sound, while Bassey's effort is widely regarded as the best Bond theme.

Personally, I prefer FRWL's. While the golden girl is a striking image, the dancing gypsy, colourful projection and the title song encapsulates what I like most about Bond - sex, colour, exoticism, moodiness, and the melodic brassiness adds a hint of danger.

Close call.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 8:03 am

Slight lean to the gypsy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 am

Seem to remember there's something in the projections onto the girl in the GF sequence (a Post Office truck that has a machine-gun in the back of it) that doesn't appear in the film.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Like asking which child to save. I like both, I lean towards Goldfinger because of the song and I lean towards FRWL for the graphics. Both are amongst the few films I don't skip the title sequence for. Merde. Well, FRWL it is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Seem to remember there's something in the projections onto the girl in the GF sequence (a Post Office truck that has a machine-gun in the back of it) that doesn't appear in the film.  

I've heard about that but I always forget to look out for it. My eyes dart between the visuals and credits themselves. Next viewing, Fields! bang head

Hilly wrote:
Both are amongst the few films I don't skip the title sequence for. Merde. Well, FRWL it is.

Interesting. I never skip. I love watching the titles. Which ones do you watch?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Excluding Dr No as it's more part of the film, FRWL, GF, YOLT, OHMSS, TSWLM, Octopussy, VTAK

don't know why, I just don't always like sitting through certain songs. Some I just don't like and others, well, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 12:35 am

oh my!

Not even LALD or GE? I'm shocked.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 5:29 pm

I do occasionally on LALD but Goldeneye is a film that's never sat well with me musically.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Indeed Hilly ... I like the song (written by half of my favourite band and delivered with gusto by Ms. Turner), but I'm cold on Serra's score.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Glad to see I'm not alone. Unfortunately it properly jars my viewing of GE ever since I first watched it. I appreciate people do like it but no, sadly.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

It was said around here that it fits the film's chilly and uncertain post-Cold War atmos and Our Man's cynicism ('Governments change, the lies stay the same') but personally after 6 years away I'd have gone big, brassy and Barry-esque ... triumphal affirmation.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 am

ARGH! Stab me in the heart this is hard. I've always felt Brownjohn's work is staggeringly underrated and completely iconic. Of the two, despite being the same theme, each has its own identity and fits the tone of the film. I voted FRWL as it is one of the all time greatest title sequences and perfectly nails the blend of exoticism, sex and adventure that is Bond-but GF is all class, style and sophistication with the thin white title font on black backgrounds contrasting with the stunning golden girl seemingly lifeless before us...and with the projected images delicately placed all over her body in both sexually suggestive ways and ways that suggest the danger of Goldfinger himself. Either one is one of the great titles of any film and I'd argue only Binder could match them.

I'd actually argue the best titles in the series overall are OHMSS, FRWL and GF. DN is discovering the style. TB, YOLT, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR are probably second tier. FYEO-LTK would be third tier.

I love all four of Kleinman's Brosnan era titles which are all excellent.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 am

Always found the OHMSS titles a little overrated. Binder's not as great as his reputation suggests, if I'm completely honest. I prefer Kleinman's and Brownjohn's over many of Binder's.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 7:29 am

Yeah never cared for the OHMSS titles with all the naff clips from past Bond films. Bit of a hamfisted way of yelling IT'S THE SAME JAMES BOND! Also nothing like a 60's Bond highlight reel which features Honey Ryder, Dr No, Pussy, Auric Goldfinger and... some ninja guy.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 7:25 pm

I think, in my book, what makes the titles in OHMSS great (or good) is the theme. I know it sounds silly but from the off with a slow-mo running Bond with the start of the theme and that image of him on the clock...all right, after that it's a montage to say "hey, this is the same character [even if it's a new actor]".

The Bond titles have never really been something I look hard at. CR's was impressive enough (again, the song helped) but some of the Moore ones. Watching Octopussy I kind of chuckled when Moore appears and the hands snake over him or TSWLM when he topples the women. Skyfall's is one of the best (again, the song helps) but visually it was arresting.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Those moments in the OHMSS titles work. The montage stuff doesn't really bother me, either. It just feels like a poorly designed, rushed job. But yes, Barry's music is excellent.

Of Binder's, I think DN, TB, YOLT, LALD, AVTAK and TLD are his best. All of Kleinman's and both of Brownjohn's are equal to, if not better than, Binder's best. Though I can't quite remember SP's beyond the ink-haired girls and octopus themes (may have been better suited to Octopussy?)
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Wow. Guess I'm the only one voting GF. It's much more visually striking with the selected footage projected, how it's timed, and the song title is aces.

Blunt Instrument wrote:

I don't remember seeing that, but it does use an excised clip from the Q lab scene which I believe took place right before Bond was watching the gassing meter. I think it was how the scene was originally supposed to start with Bond walking right into the Q lab and interacting with an assistant.

Here's the title sequence, just jump to 1:39 and you can see the unused footage.

Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 am

Ah yes, I think I knew about it being a snipped Q lab bit but had forgotten.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 3:03 am

I will admit that the titles only really came to life for me after seeing some in theaters, some projected in home theaters and when at home after investing in a good home sound setup.

Upgrading to tower speakers really made the title sequences come to life.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 am

Goldeneye's titles on the big screen is really something. yes
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Particularly with the old dolby mix on the older video releases where the bass level is 10db hotter so you feel like you're in a nightclub in front of the speakers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Bonds!   Battle of the Bonds! Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Bonds!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: James Bond Fan Area-
Jump to: