More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Moonraker old THX DVD R1

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stamper
'R'
'R'
Stamper

Moonraker old THX DVD R1 Empty
PostSubject: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptySun Apr 28, 2019 7:38 pm

Hey guys,

I discovered my copy of Moonraker old THX DVD R1 didn't load in my blu-ray player, nor in my computer player.

I bought another copy used, and same thing. Both discs are mint.

Anyone has a similar problem, and a solution?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 1:15 am

hegottheboot might be your man for this. If no response in a couple of days, shoot him a pm and link him to this thread.

smile
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 am

Likely the disc is rotted. Many early DVDs were prone to rotting and becoming corrupted like Laserdisc rot, but with LD it was simply because the glue would deteriorate on some pressings from certain plants. With DVDs it's just because of bad manufacturing and the discs can appear spotless. Unfortunately several runs of Bond discs are affected by rot. I've heard others say that exact THX MR disc is rotted. I've had my FYEO SE DVD rot and had to get a replacement so it isn't limited to only the initial THX DVDs.

I only have the TSWLM THX DVD and it is fine. The THX DVDs are largely identical to the SE discs that replaced them except for the fullscreen cropped versions. They are also all ports of the final THX Laserdisc reissues which are very rare and took me years to track down.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 am

FieldsMan wrote:
hegottheboot might be your man for this. If no response in a couple of days, shoot him a pm and link him to this thread.

smile

In my best Mr. Chang: Of course Mr. Fields

;)
Back to top Go down
Stamper
'R'
'R'
Stamper

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks. So anyone has a playable copy?

On the surface, the disc look totally mint.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyMon May 06, 2019 4:36 am

They will indeed look almost perfect. DVD rot is barely mentioned but does exist. Fortunately it seems to be limited to only very early discs in the format's life. I know some have THX Bond DVDs that are ok, and I have the THX TSWLM which plays fine. I found out the hard way that some of the SE dvds were rotted. My FYEO was spotless and refused to play in anything.
Back to top Go down
Stamper
'R'
'R'
Stamper

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyTue May 07, 2019 8:37 am

Yes also have TSWLM and it plays fine, funny LOL. This DVD will self destruction in 20 years.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptyThu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm

I had a THX copy of MR as well. I bought it as more of a curiosity, and it never played at all.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 EmptySun May 19, 2019 4:31 am

I've wanted to pick up the THX DVDs for years for a few reasons but they're very difficult to find and can all be rotted.
One reason was for completion's sake, one was to compare them to the identical last run THX Laserdiscs, another to compare the bitrate to the SE DVD counterparts to see if the extra-less disc had a better transfer because the SE DVDs should have been 2 disc affairs to give the films more breathing room and the last was to get the last pan n scan editions for sheer why not.

I may get very nerdy on some things but then there is Bond and for that it goes into mad obsession territory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moonraker old THX DVD R1   Moonraker old THX DVD R1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Moonraker old THX DVD R1
Page 1 of 1