More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+10
Perilagu Khan
Dr No
Sarai
Makeshift Python
T.A. Ferguson
Gravity's Silhouette
hegottheboot
Blunt Instrument
AMC Hornet
Hilly
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What do you think of Stacey Sutton?
One of the best Bond girls.
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_lcap33%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
Underrated, but not the best.
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_lcap11%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Average/Does the job/Nothing special
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_lcap22%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_rcap
 22% [ 4 ]
One of the worst Bond girls
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_lcap33%The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyMon May 27, 2019 11:35 am

Edit: Poll added.

What’s the criteria for a good Bond girl? Sexiness? Resourcefulness? Well written? All of the above? Then why doesn’t Tanya Roberts’ Stacey Sutton qualify on most lists? Because she screams a bit in certain life threatening scenes? Or is it her performance?

To this viewer, she’s by far Moore’s best leading lady, and perhaps one of the very best overall.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Stacey-sutton

We first meet Stacey in classic Bondian style. A mysterious helicopter arrival, observed from afar by Bond. A sassy entrance accompanied by a saxophonic John Barry cue efficiently establishes the gorgeous Stacey as enigmatic, particularly when she receives a kiss from Zorin, the villain.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread 2DF227A000000578-3301003-image-m-16_1446558395800

Soon adorned with a gorgeous frock, Bond spies her dealings with Zorin, which involves some kind of payoff behind closed doors. However she ventures away from the party to be alone, pensive. Something’s wrong but she puts on a brave face. Trying to work out where she fits in, Bond approaches and she responds in ambiguous answers with a great deal of charm.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread 03593fa2165abfbbd3772cd749261f00

Then she disappears from the picture. A good deal of intrigue surrounding her character is set up. What’s her connection to the villain? How can she afford a helicopter arrival or is it funded by Zorin? What’s the cheque for? The fact she doesn’t give anything away to a curious Bond shows that her wits are about her, for Smythe could be one of Zorin’s goons. And all perfectly accompanied by some of John Barry’s best work, which draws this viewer to her character.

When we next see her, she’s at work. We very rarely see a Bond girl in her every day life. Not as glamorous as first scenes, she’s still every bit sexy in her professional attire. Bond tails her (providing Bond with an opportunity to monitor her and engage in activity that a spy would), we see her with groceries in her car and snacking as she drives. These are beautiful moments that serve to ground this Bond girl as a — smoking hot — girl next door caught up in a scheme bigger than she can anticipate. The vignette in the car, particularly. Whether it was Roberts’ idea to snack, or Glen’s, it’s these visual clues that help create a character— and one we haven’t seen in a Bond film before. Just in these few moments she already feels more rounded than most Bond girls in their entire films.

Her house is virtually empty, which in itself establishes a vulnerability to her character. After the assault by Zorin’s “baboons”, which serves to not only demonstrate the pressure he’s putting on Stacey, but also allows Bond to gain her trust, we’re let in on her dealings with Zorin. Roberts’ is completely believable in these scenes, and how she tears up the cheque says a lot about her integrity. Despite all the harassment and legal proceedings, she still puts on a brave face.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread 8a6b3e2d33211458e6b66e6e533c3380

She’s also kind enough to bring Bond breakfast in the morning even though she’s a terrible cook. Says a lot about morning after etiquette. ;)

And finally we’re truly treated to something we’ve never seen before. The Bond girl is fired from her job because she’s fighting for truth, because what’s she’s discovered about the villain could threaten so much more than just her home. And this is after we’ve learned her job as a geologist is barely keeping her house in her name. There’s an arc to her character. If this was the Stacey Sutton film, this would be the end of act 2, where she’s at her most vulnerable with no hope of things turning around. And they’re lovely moments to witness.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Roberts10

But she can’t give up. Planning their next move, she’s resourceful and bold enough (like the best Bond girls) to sneak into the office and provide Bond with intelligence. And she’s part of the impressive City Hall sequence. Her screams in the elevator are totally justified. I challenge any naysayers to stand atop a lift in an elevator shaft amidst burning flames and see how one reacts when the only person who can save you leaves you there, alone.

Continuing to show true bravery, she takes the wheel of the firetruck and endearingly, sets the siren off, which may also serve to distract from being in the spotlight. It’s just the fire brigade responding to a call. Brains too, not just blonde hair and boobage to last a lifetime.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread A-View-to-a-Kill-629

And the mine. You’d think she wouldn’t look good in overalls, and yet she somehow pulls it off. Showing every bit of willingness to get closer to the action she, unlike Goodnight or Tiffany, behaves like a real person in those circumstances (not ditzy). And she takes initiative to undertake her own investigation. Now, this is perhaps where her performance falters momentarily. Whether it’s bad direction, too much jargon, or not enough time to film it and get it right, but her explanation of the fault lines is, well, a little faulty. Not distractingly so, but it perhaps shouldn’t sound like she’s finding the words here. But one scene amongst many isn’t enough to tarnish an entire performance. Besides, you can just admire her beauty as she staccatos.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread A-View-to-a-Kill-664
The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread A-View-to-a-Kill-665

Throughout, she proves to be a perfect companion to Bond. In response to Stacey’s character, Bond is given opportunities to flourish also. Bond’s cover is exploited in their first meeting (“I’m English” is said not just because it’s perfect for the posh charade he maintains, but to provoke a response from her that will give him more information on her— which serves is why he asks Chuck to find fellow American ’S. Sutton’). Her icy exterior slowly melting in Bond’s presence demonstrates his alpha appeal, made even more so through his desire to help her after she’s been fired. Instead of always hanging off his arm like some Bond girls do, she’s able to provide insight into an area Bond doesn’t know anything about, proving to be a capable ally, as well as highlight Bond isn’t superhumanly expert in all subjects that became a joke in the 70s. And when she does hang off Bond’s arm, she does it well. :)

So why is she one of the best? There's a character with some care taken to build it by the filmmakers and actress. She has perhaps more of an arc than most other Bond girls. She's resourceful and an expert in her area which supplements Bond's lack of knowledge. She's sexy as hell. And that hair. Probably the most gorgeous hair in all the Bond films.

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread A-View-to-a-Kill-752

Some of my thoughts on Stacey. I just received my Close Look at AVTAK book and I can’t wait to see what else the author may dig up on Stacey Sutton. I’m hoping to find another fan of hers.

Last edited by Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on Tue May 28, 2019 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyMon May 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Nice write-up Fields, always a thing for Tanya Roberts since I saw this film (and cemented by her turn in that 70s Show).

The chopper probably was paid for by Zorin, determined to get his way down to the last detail I'd imagine. If she was nearly broke, a flight from San Francisco to France would surely cost a bit. She's not a stupid woman -yes her bad moments are when she's wailing for help- but she does a proper job and knows her stuff. I linked it before but this blog post is on the nose

http://hillplace.blogspot.com/2013/04/tanya-roberts-bond-girl-stacey-sutton-a-view-to-a-kill.html

...down to the fact Roberts is likely not helped by Glen not having much faith in her at all.

I always like how Bond doesn't hop into bed with her straightaway like he has done in the past (Tracy, Tatiana etc) but sits guard. As you say she has an everyday job, she looks great in regular attire and all that you say. Indeed, I like her face when she sets the siren off and Bond looks at her. Poor girl gets put through the ringer -fired, sees her boss killed, almost gets fried and then is confronted with the fact that the guy who saved her is a British agent. She also has some of the best romantic music in the Moore era, not least one of the best moments in the rooftop rescue.

And a fine deleted scene.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyMon May 27, 2019 11:25 pm

Love Roger's outtake! laugh

Pity more time wasn't given to this scene as well. Though I suppose even Vivian Leigh would struggle making "the evidence is overwhelming!" natural. But there's some really lovely moments from Tanya just in those few minutes that, with extra time, could have been improved.

The chopper stuff, yes, later we surmise that Zorin indeed paid for her flight to France, but while we're still in Chantilly, we're yet to become privy to her background.

I always thought they'd probably have shagged had she not fallen asleep. I mean, that short pink number is prime disrobing material.

Making my way through that link you shared, and I agree with the author, who more eloquently suggests what I wrote above regarding that deleted scene. Much like Stacey's faulty explanation, more time should have been spent, and Glen would be partially responsible for that, especially considering it essentially summarises Zorin's plans.

I love this paragraph, which again, articulates what my main post is about. Lea Seydoux can talk to the cows come home about how her character seems like a real person and how Craig's era improved the role of Bond girls (she's not convincing anyone), but maybe Natalya aside, Stacey wins out:

Hillplace Blogspot wrote:
Ironically, as written, the role of Stacey Sutton probably sounded pretty good to Roberts from the outset.  Unlike other actresses who have played Bond Girls, and who claim that their roles are different than the ones that came before (a tiresome cliche coming from every actress who ever appeared in a Bond movie), Stacey Sutton was indeed a different kind of leading lady for the series.  She wasn't a spy, or a mistress of some villain, or someone living or working in an exotic location doing something glamorous or dangerous.  She was basically an American and a civilian, a scientist studying rocks and minerals of the Earth, living and working in the San Francisco area on her family's empty estate.  In many ways, she was similar to Kate Warner in Season 2 of "24," another blonde American civilian from California whose life is turned upside down when a government agent with the initials "J.B." unexpectedly enters her life and asks for her assistance to avert the destruction of a major metropolitan area in the state.  The only extraordinary thing about Stacey is that she was the heiress to her family's oil company but got a job working as a California state geologist once Zorin stole it in a rigged proxy fight.  We learn that she got a degree in geology with the expectation she'd run the family business someday.  For once, we actually learn quite a bit about the leading lady in a Bond movie as Stacey is provided a family history and back story that is unusual for the series.  What isn't acknowledged enough about Stacey is that she was a person of decency and integrity.  She wasn't a character in a larger-than-life situation lounging around wearing sexually revealing outfits, or someone who easily gave into Bond's charms the first night he spent at her house.  In fact, he sleeps in the chair guarding the house while she goes to sleep.  It's only at the end of the film, after Bond and Stacey defeat Zorin, that they consummate their relationship by taking a shower back at her house.  

I disagree about Roberts' playing down those life threatening scenes. It grounds her if she's freaking out, and allows Bond to become the centre of his movie. Not that it's ever in doubt, but sometimes a girl needs to be rescued and it makes more sense for a civilian to require his help than his "equal" (i.e. Jinx).

Absolutely agree here:

H.Blog wrote:
Ironically, it's in the non-action dialogue scenes in "A View to a Kill" that I believe Tanya Roberts does good work.  The dinner scene in the kitchen of her home where Bond cooks for her has a relaxed quality that is notably different than other scenes between Bond and the other leading ladies of his movies....I also think Roberts is good in the scene the next morning, after the mild earth tremor, when Bond mentions to Stacey that Zorin is pumping seawater into Zorin's oil wells near the Hayward Fault.  Roberts registers the appropriate level of outrage and determination at learning of this information.

The stuff in between, replaced by the ellipsis, I'd disagree with. Bond demonstrates his attraction to her at Chantilly, and Stacey reciprocates as she watches him leave. And she also takes the time to dress up for dinner at home. Glen may not have cared about Roberts but the details surrounding her (wardrobe, props, etc.) really do help create her character.

What he says about Stacey's "best moment" in the film is what I've said is the only moment of hers I dislike (well, like less. We all love Midge). There's no "assurance" to her performance in that scene like her others. It should have been delivered similar to that morning scene at her manor after the tremor. Less staccato.

While I'll take any appreciation of Stacey that I can get, it's still too frosty. Tanya Roberts and Stacey deserve more loving.

That final paragraph slamming the use of Eve and Severine in Skyfall... Wow.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyTue May 28, 2019 4:12 pm

It would be interesting, like the blog post says, if Stacey had been played by Priscilla Barnes. Maybe some gravitas but I can't see it being all that different to Roberts. Roberts has always had raw sex appeal in anything she has done.

Glen could've helped out a bit. We're not after Oscar performances but might have helped Roberts out to do some proper takes or keep stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyTue May 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Hilly wrote:
It would be interesting, like the blog post says, if Stacey had been played by Priscilla Barnes. Maybe some gravitas but I can't see it being all that different to Roberts. Roberts has always had raw sex appeal in anything she has done.

Interesting indeed. Having only seen her in LTK it's hard to see her outside a wedding dress. But as you say, Roberts did have raw sex appeal, which I'm not sure Barnes did (despite being very flirty with Bond).

Quote :
Glen could've helped out a bit. We're not after Oscar performances but might have helped Roberts out to do some proper takes or keep stuff.

Correct. Feeling a little less affinity for Glen's contributions now.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyWed May 29, 2019 5:48 am

Sorry, but still not enough to change my mind. When it comes to a regular girl out of her depth, I'll take Maryam D'Abo's Kara Milovy every time. She - unlike Ms. Roberts - can act. The best I can say about Ms. Roberts is that her geologist made Denise Richards' Christmas Jones appear more convincing as a nuclear physicist.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyWed May 29, 2019 6:25 am

Doesn't have to be a case of either/or. You can still like both Kara and Stacey. I really like Maryam d'Abo, and the character of Kara, but is she a stronger actress? Eh. They're about the same.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyWed May 29, 2019 10:18 am

We've got this far without anyone mentioning that a blimp manages to sneak up on her?

Kudos, chaps. Kudos laugh .
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyWed May 29, 2019 1:11 pm

I justify it by saying its roaring sound echoes through the gorge and would be hard to orient it. pftt
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyWed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Roberts was nominated for the Worst Actress Golden Raspberry for AVTAK, but was beaten by Linda Blair. She must've been gutted laugh .

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyWed May 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Details, Blunty, details. And that includes the blimp. I figured we'd skate past that. colgate
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyThu May 30, 2019 12:12 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Roberts was nominated for the Worst Actress Golden Raspberry for AVTAK, but was beaten by Linda Blair. She must've been gutted laugh .

Totally unwarranted nomination - though the Razzies are just a bit of fun, aren't they? I think what probably got her shortlisted was that she was so much younger than the leading actor, though at 29, she's actually perhaps one of the more mature Bond girls. The usual age was around 23, wasn't it?

I also don't think that her performance is any worse than a lot of other Bond girls, so find it hard to see why she is constantly pummelled with criticism. I love Honey Ryder but Nikki's voice over really detracts from Andress' otherwise solid performance. Tania Mallet literally talked through her gritted teeth for most part. Gloria Hendry was horrendous as Rosie Carver. Emily Bolton was vacant for most part, despite playing an agent. As much as I like Magda, Kristina Wayborn eyefucks her way through her scenes and at times, is rather unconvincing. Magda is suddenly aloof but not sure it was written as such. Maud Adams herself as Octopussy seems like she's giving an intelligent read of the lines as opposed to making them her own. Carole Bouquet isn't the strongest actor either. Or Talisa Soto. Maybe it's Roberts making her scenes flow and conversational (except that aforementioned mine scene) that is jarring when comparing performances with other Bond girls, because that doesn't always happen in the world of Bond.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyThu May 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

Totally unwarranted nomination - though the Razzies are just a bit of fun, aren't they? I think what probably got her shortlisted was that she was so much younger than the leading actor, though at 29, she's actually perhaps one of the more mature Bond girls. The usual age was around 23, wasn't it?

To quote Rog - 'When you realise you're not only older than your leading lady but also older than her mother, it really is time to move on'.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyThu May 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Yeah, but that's hardly Tanya's fault. It shouldn't lessen the credibility of her work, which I think does, unfairly.

Had it been Dalton in the role alongside her, would she still be seen in such a negative light? Doubtful.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyThu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Dalton in it instead is an intriguing prospect. You'd imagine the likes of the 'California Girls' gag, 'Keystone Kops' chase, the 'Bond gets hit in the balls by an aerial' gag and probably the series' most glaringly obvious stunt doubles to date would all be gone.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyThu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Yeah, I could see Dalters on the ladder all the way down for example, his grim expression when he discovers the body in the PTS, maybe not messing about on the fire truck and the moment of triumph when Zorin goes falling and he swings back onto the bridge to rescue Stacey.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptyFri May 31, 2019 12:48 am

Of course certain things would be omitted or the gags toned down, for sure.

Still, Stacey, as played by Roberts, would stay the same I imagine. And I think she'd have a better reputation as the age gap would be a lot closer.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:43 am

I've come around on ol' Stacey over the years. As a kid I couldn't get over her sounding like a shrieking moron in all the danger sequences but it is true that the character is a normal person in extraordinary circumstances and thus obviously freaked out. But it's an underwritten character as most Bond girls are and also has to be there to give plot exposition about geology.

I think her best scene is the house fight and dinner scene culminating in the "I'll live in a tent before I give up."

Overall its a fine performance of a lesser character role that just has too much shrieking and ineffectiveness to make the character more interesting or exciting. But her capture by a giant slow moving blimp at the climax cannot be staged in any way to make her not look like an idiot for being caught by it.

I agree 1000% that Kara was a marked improvement in character strength but I will admit I don't like how they make her seem a bit silly at times. However she shows spunk and resolve eventually and has a much better character growth than Stacey's. I can see how they did evolve the Bond girl type over these films.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:47 am

As for Roger's best leading lady its a bit of a draw. Solitaire has some spunk and is charming, but is more of a passive character. Anya is strong but somewhat remote, whereas Holly is feisty and flippant. I'd argue for one of those three.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 2:22 am

hegottheboot wrote:
But it's an underwritten character as most Bond girls are and also has to be there to give plot exposition about geology.

I disagree she is underwritten. She's got a solid back story, motivation to involve herself in the villain's scheme (and for others, i.e. Zorin, to drag her into it), an expert in her field and other characteristics/quirks that's mentioned or seen to help round out the character. I think she's one of the few Bond girls who's fortunate enough to have more effort put into the creation of her character.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Hilly wrote:

Priscilla Presley apparently was approached to gauge her interest, but she had a regular job on DALLAS and guess wasn't interested in giving up the gig at the time.

I think the attempt to rehabilitate Mrs. Robert's legacy is admirable, but also a bit of a stretch. She fails to emit the most basic emotions called for in several scenes. When she rolls her eyes up at Zorin as he kisses her hand she seems childish and certainly is not able to portray true disgust. Later on the bridge she comes across as snooty, haughty and too good for Bond, yet later we find she's just a regular 9-to-5'er working as a geologist in California. She's unable to convey danger ("Seawater? That's incredibly dangerous!").

She's probably too good looking for the role. She literally looks as if she should have been doing adult movies at the time. She has a vacant look on her face most of the time. And I haven't even mentioned the constant screams or the inability to sense a blimp coming up behind you.

And yet, in contrast, we have have another civilian type in the next film beautifully played by Maryam D'abo with the same director, so we know the bad performance by Roberts is down to her, because Glen and D'abo had no problems covering similar ground 2 years later.

And there's just no chemistry between Moore and Roberts. The age gap was jarring at that point; 2 people at totally different points in their lives with nothing in common.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Ha, way to undo all my hard work, Grav. I disagree with a lot of that, obviously. I'll concede the Zorin kiss reaction is overacted but it's part of her charm nowadays. Everything else, up until she explains Zorin's plan in the mine scene, works very well in my mind. Not hearing the blimp I'll put down to the possible echo in the area. I mean, surely someone on the crew would have noticed it being awfully loud during production which meant Stacey would have been damn stupid for not hearing it.

As for the constant screams, as I said in earlier posts, it's totally justified, given she's a civilian caught up in Bond's dangerous world. The bridge scene is more a case of not knowing who Bond is (is he one of Zorin's goons sent to convince her to accept the payout?) - that American sass is a perfect contrast to Bond's cover as the pompous James St. John Smythe himself.

Anyway, two of Roberts' scenes are backed up by John Barry's exceptional romantic renditions of Duran Duran's theme, which automatically places her ahead of a good portion of other Bond girls.
Back to top Go down
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 5:54 pm

I drink to forget this movie.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 1:15 am

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Omegam11

Actually, don't think we've seen a ranking from you, T.A.... Interested in posting one?

https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t33p550-rank-all-the-bond-films
Back to top Go down
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 1:20 am

Honestly I need to re-watch a few of them before I can properly rank them...I really don't remember several of the older ones...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread   The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Stacey Sutton/Tanya Roberts Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next