More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Planet of the Apes thread

Go down 
+13
trevanian
Makeshift Python
lachesis
Blunt Instrument
CJB
The White Tuxedo
Hilly
Fairbairn-Sykes
GeneralGogol
Control
Largo's Shark
Salomé
Jack Wade
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

Planet of the Apes thread Empty
PostSubject: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 pm

laugh

Are they serious with that title?

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 pm

That looks horrendous. It's quite clear from that trailer that the people who made this have no clue about what made the original movie great or what about it is what that appealed to the movie-going public.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Judging from the trailer, it could be another sequel to 28 DAYS LATER.

Last edited by Sharky on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Sharky wrote:
Judging from the trailer, it could another sequel to 28 DAYS LATER.

I got that vibe, as well.

Jimmy Franco isn't Heston, either.

I won't be seeing this.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes, that looks unintentionally bad. Or intentionally. You can't tell with Hollywood these days. Franco looks like he's giving his bored Oscar-host performance again.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm

It's also got ugly digital grading look I so hate in modern blockbusters. Everything's gone metallic blue.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:36 pm

The title is fine, it fits with the style of the originals, but this sounds/looks terrible. I mean, I wrote a prequel to the POTA movies when I was in high school. It was my first feature length script, and it was pretty terrible. It was called JOURNEY TO THE PLANET OF THE APES and it intentionally fit into the continuity of the original films -- it was set in the late sixties and was about Heston's character and the other astronauts from the original film coming together for the original mission and their backstories -- what was the mission, how did it come to be, etc. No apes would be featured, and Heston's ship goes missing at the start of the third act, with Brent from BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES being sent in his ship as a rescue mission in the third act. It was all tied into Kennedy and the space race and the zeitgeist of that era.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Blandsville.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Franco in Oscar-host mode again or normal mode I suppose.

Didn't bother with the Burton Apes film and alas, not this one...Alas.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:22 am

Count me as the lone voice who thinks this could be just dumb enough to work in a mildly entertaining way.

I still wanna see the APES sequels.

I'll be honest, it actually looks more interesting to me than most of these blockbusters. It looks like it has an actual plot for one thing. Maybe it'll work as a throwback to SF pics of the era in which the APES flicks originally rose.

But it's a rental, mos def.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 6:10 am

So it's a zombie flick but with CGI gorillas?

Yeah...count me out.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 4:00 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

ESCAPE is by far the best. I'd skip the others.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Agreed that ESCAPE is the best, but BENEATH is also very much worth seeing. CONQUEST would've been a hundred times better without the tacked on studio "ending". BATTLE is a waste of time no matter what though.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Agreed that ESCAPE is the best, but BENEATH is also very much worth seeing. CONQUEST would've been a hundred times better without the tacked on studio "ending". BATTLE is a waste of time no matter what though.

I forgot about BENEATH. Example of a good sequel score from Rosenman, that doesn't try to outdo or rework Goldsmith's original in any way. But damn, there's some bad special effects. Remember the back projection lightning shot?

CONQUEST is a good civil rights parallel, though it could have been a lot better executed. But still it's a product a time when the APES franchise was synonymous was social commentary. I know Burton tried, but the only thing that works for me in that film, is its final shot of the New York zoo. It gets too carried away with CGI proto-LOTR battle scenes, and loses track of its message.

Jack Wade wrote:
laugh

Are they serious with that title?

It's coz Batman did it.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm surprised they are revisiting this series. Wasn't Burton's movie a massive failure at the box office?
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Salomé wrote:
I'm surprised they are revisiting this series. Wasn't Burton's movie a massive failure at the box office?

Eeek, I hope this isn't intended as a prequel to THAT version!

Still, while the film doesn't look great it doesn't look too offensive to me.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Salomé wrote:

Eeek, I hope this isn't intended as a prequel to THAT version!

I think it is, judging from the look of the apes.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Probably not a good sign that no directors, producers, writers or actors are credited in that trailer ... just the effects house.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 am

Sharky wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

I forgot about BENEATH. Example of a good sequel score from Rosenman, that doesn't try to outdo or rework Goldsmith's original in any way. But damn, there's some bad special effects. Remember the back projection lightning shot?

CONQUEST is a good civil rights parallel, though it could have been a lot better executed. But still it's a product a time when the APES franchise was synonymous was social commentary. I know Burton tried, but the only thing that works for me in that film, is its final shot of the New York zoo. It gets too carried away with CGI proto-LOTR battle scenes, and loses track of its message.

I absolutely agree with you, Sharky. Mark it on a calendar.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySat May 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Having an imagination I have Apes ideas. I'll post them later, but I mutated this thread in a general Apes thread.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySat May 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Gonna get my geek on.

The timeline as I see it...

1972 - The Icarus is launched with Taylor, Landon, Dodge, and Stewart.
1973 - ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
1991 - CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
Early 21st Century - BATTLE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
2670 - BATTLE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
3955/3979 - The first two movies, but there is a time fuck up.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:23 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Gonna get my geek on.

The timeline as I see it...

1972 - The Icarus is launched with Taylor, Landon, Dodge, and Stewart.
1973 - ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
1991 - CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
Early 21st Century - BATTLE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
2670 - BATTLE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
3955/3979 - The first two movies, but there is a time fuck up.

It is not impossible to imagine that from the moment Taylor set foot on the Planet of the Apes the timeline behind him was in flux. the Lawgivers warnings held by Zaius and the reading at the end of Battle certainly suggest change. The weird lightening and turbulent atmosphere could be read as being more than just the result of the final war.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:31 pm

http://collider.com/battle-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-mondo-poster/139746/
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 12:07 am

Watching BATTLE again, the theatrical cut. I'm actually able to follow it on this viewing. It helps having not watched CONQUEST right before. I'll probably give the extended cut another view as well. I just wanted to see both versions.

But the time frame makes no sense. Ceaser isn't old, but there is an older, very experienced ape. MacDonald's bro says his forefathers told him about the bombed out city, but it's not too many years after the nuclear shit happened.

The fuck?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 am

Next film is titled DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

http://collider.com/x-men-first-class-2-sequel-release-date/170336/

Quote :
Additionally, the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes not only has a release date it but now has a fantastic title. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will hit theaters on Memorial Day, May 23rd, 2014. Rise director Rupert Wyatt is thankfully returning to helm the follow-up, and he previously talked at length about his ideas for further entries in the franchise. Contagion and The Bourne Ultimatum scribe Scott Z. Burns is writing the screenplay, and I’m incredibly eager to see Wyatt and star Andy Serkis continue the Apes saga. Sony’s animated film Pixels is also slated to open the same weekend, but the film’s main competition will be repeat business from Marvel’s untitled film that’s slated to open one week earlier.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planet of the Apes thread   Planet of the Apes thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Planet of the Apes thread
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next