More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Top Gun: Maverick

Go down 
+4
CJB
Blunt Instrument
Makeshift Python
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Top Gun: Maverick Empty
PostSubject: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 am

oh my!
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 4:37 am

This is very meta of Tom Cruise. Could be interesting. I think this is the most overt he's ever acknowledge that he aged and is probably playing roles he's too old for?
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 5:08 am

IIRC, he's acknowledged in an interview that he can't keep playing Ethan Hunt as he has been. Same would extend here. But I like that. Cruise is really going all out these days to maximise the time he has left to play these parts convincingly. And it makes it all the more enjoyable for us. I think the last 10 years has possibly been his best decade since the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Not sure I agree. Cruise has become a much more interesting and charismatic actor in recent years, but his films are no where near as varied and interesting as they used to be in the past, and I'm just realizing it's been a very long time since he collaborated with a director of the caliber of Spielberg, Mann, Scorsese, Kubrick, De Palma, PTA, etc. I was always interested in who they would get to replace Tony Scott, but then I look at Joseph Kosinski's directing credit and my reaction is "meh".
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
IIRC, he's acknowledged in an interview that he can't keep playing Ethan Hunt as he has been.

Aye, if memory serves the next two Mission:Impossibles are to shoot back-to-back and are also to be the last two (well, the last two with Cruise playing Hunt as a field agent anyway).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 12:33 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Not sure I agree. Cruise has become a much more interesting and charismatic actor in recent years, but his films are no where near as varied and interesting as they used to be in the past, and I'm just realizing it's been a very long time since he collaborated with a director of the caliber of Spielberg, Mann, Scorsese, Kubrick, De Palma, PTA, etc. I was always interested in who they would get to replace Tony Scott, but then I look at Joseph Kosinski's directing credit and my reaction is "meh".

I don't think it will dethrone the 80s (mostly because of the variety and forces behind the camera, as you say), but this last decade and the boundaries pushed in the action genre-- and commitment by an actor nearing 60-- is unparalleled.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 am

I wasn't really impressed by FALLOUT, but hey.

Of this decade I think his best was JACK REACHER and EDGE OF TOMORROW.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 5:09 am

The 80's nostalgia train rolls on. Hopefully the soundtrack lives up to that of the first film.

Unpopular opinion: The end credits song, 'Mighty Wings,' is even better than 'Danger Zone.'
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 8:38 am

CJB wrote:
The 80's nostalgia train rolls on. Hopefully the soundtrack lives up to that of the first film.

Unpopular opinion: The end credits song, 'Mighty Wings,' is even better than 'Danger Zone.'

I love Mighty Wings. Through The Fire is also really good. That was a soundtrack that had no clunkers. Everything was top notch. I wonder if they'll TG:M will have a soundtrack and, if so, who'd be on it. Music industry is totally different now than in 1986.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 1:20 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
I wasn't really impressed by FALLOUT, but hey.

Of this decade I think his best was JACK REACHER and EDGE OF TOMORROW.

Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and Fallout for me. Didn't mind Edge of Tomorrow and American Made.

GS wrote:
I wonder if they'll TG:M will have a soundtrack and, if so, who'd be on it. Music industry is totally different now than in 1986.

CJB wrote:

Would an 80s soundtrack work in Maverick? I'd prefer it.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 1:38 am

Harold Faltermeyer is credited as co-composer along with Hans Zimmer. Whether that means he'll be actively involved or just give the fundamentals to Zimmer to work on, I'm not sure. But it's a good combo. Faltermeyer was the go to guy for synthesized scores during the 80s and when he decided to leave Hollywood to return to his home in Germany it was Zimmer that essentially took his place as the go to guy from that point on.

CJB wrote:

It's an opinion I share. Really dig the instrumental version that plays out during this training sequence.

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 1:46 am

It'll be interesting to see the direction they take on that front. Sure, they could use contemporary music just as the original film did, but given everyone and their dog knows this is an attempt to cash in on the 80s nostalgia fad surely they'd be tempted to do an 80s-inspired soundtrack. I'd probably prefer it because, hey, that's what we all want.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 2:45 am

CJB wrote:
It'll be interesting to see the direction they take on that front. Sure, they could use contemporary music just as the original film did, but given everyone and their dog knows this is an attempt to cash in on the 80s nostalgia fad surely they'd be tempted to do an 80s-inspired soundtrack. I'd probably prefer it because, hey, that's what we all want.

What made the soundtrack fit so well with the film was that most of the songs were produced the film's composer, so all the songs and instrumentals felt hand in hand. If Harold Faltermeyer has producing credits on new songs, its a guarantee it will keep in with the feel of the first.

Part of why BEVERLY HILLS COP III felt so detached from the previous two films was because of the absence of Faltermeyer, with none of the songs ever really clicking with the film.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 11:34 am

The acknowledgement of Cruise/Maverick's 'why are you still doing this at your age?' thing is interesting. He'd be within his rights to snap the question right back at the 68 year old Harris ... wouldn't he have had retirement forced upon him by now?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 2:02 am

Bumping this.

Second viewing confirms that TG: M is the best blockbuster in probably decades. Also one of the rare examples where a sequel - let alone one one made decades after the original - matches and perhaps even surpasses the first film.

Zimmer's score was largely serviceable, but unfortunately, the lack of 'Mighty Wings' means this can only be a 9.5/10 film rather than 10. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 6:11 pm

I came across this for free on a streaming service and decided to check it out, despite not caring for the first one. It was as I expected, dumb and boring Pentagon propaganda full of worn-out cliches. I can not fathom what all the fuzz is about.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 1:23 am

I saw some of what I guess is climactic action from the film on youtube a couple weeks back and it all looked very pedestrian and hokey to me, so doubt that I'll try watching any more, even though it is free on a streamer I tried out this week. I wrote a huge article on the film's cinematography last year and so many crew people I talked with told me 'this one is so much better,' but not for me.

I hated the first one. Embarrassing to admit but I actually do watch IRON EAGLE occasionally, I guess because I find that for a stupid movie, it is at least fun and has a terrific score.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 5:34 am

Phantom Commander wrote:
I came across this for free on a streaming service and decided to check it out, despite not caring for the first one. It was as I expected, dumb and boring Pentagon propaganda full of worn-out cliches. I can not fathom what all the fuzz is about.

Thank God for the Pentagon.

Securing supply lines since the Perry expedition and taking back a fun evening at the movies since the streamers' Mickey Mouse money ran dry.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 11:37 am

Phantom Commander wrote:

In part, because it's the one revived franchise in the Age of Wokery that doesn't shit on what came before it and its erstwhile heroes.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 11:07 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:

I think it’s one to watch in a cinema, where the big sound rumbles the seats. I was grinning ear-to-ear as I watched it.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick EmptySun Jan 22, 2023 10:13 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:

I think it’s one to watch in a cinema, where the big sound rumbles the seats. I was grinning ear-to-ear as I watched it.  
That could be a point. The technical side of it is impressive, I guess. Still not for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Gun: Maverick   Top Gun: Maverick Empty

Back to top Go down

Top Gun: Maverick
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: