More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Cool DVD menus

Go down 
+4
colly
MBalje
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 am

I always prefer way Criterion does them, just immediately jumps to the menu right after popping the disc in. No long bullshit intros or logos.

But onto cool menus. One that pops in my head is the menu for the old DVD of L.A. Confidential where you enter a map of LA, click on a location highlighted and a small feature is brought up concerning status of the location (at least up to 1998). Pretty cool. Another I remember is the DVD menu for HAROLD & KUMAR, apparently during principal photography they actually filmed bits specifically for the DVD menu (for example if you click "Scene Selections" Kumar says "alright, let's jump straight to the nudity!"). Also if you let the DVD menu run long enough the two characters get bored and beg you "please, just press play and watch the movie, you bought this flick, now watch it!"
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 am

I liked the SE Bond film menus. Each were unique. Loved the TND, FRWL, LALD and TLD ones. And I love Moore's "This was intended to whet our appetite" when one presses play in TSWLM.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:01 am

Indeed, I liked the individual menus. Only thing I disliked about them is the stupid "activate" button you're supposed to press in order to get into the menus. I roll my eyes everytime I watch an SE disc
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 11:51 am

My Favorite Bond SE dvd's menu always be the one from Goldeneye and The World Is Not Enough. Twine R2 have a difrent dvd menu then R1, in the style of the maintitle with music of The Themes. Moost strange one is Tomorrow Never Dies.

Cool DVD menus Shot5_large

none Bond

Cool DVD menus Shot5_large
Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets / De Geheime Kamer. Background with Tree scene / Car of Ron his father.

Harry Potter And The Philosopher Stone / Steen Der Wijzen. Hogwards/ Zweinstein.Cool DVD menus Harrypotter_menu

If there is one funny dvd menu then it be the one from Triple X Next level, In the style of a Toilet. Somne people think it is toilet movie directed by the directer of Die Another Day.

Cool DVD menus Shot6_large

Cool DVD menus 0001931

A lot of difrence with the menu of the first movie.

Cool DVD menus Shot6_large
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:43 pm

The menu of Momentum’s 2002 edition of They Live has ‘Obey’, ‘Consume’ and ‘Stay Asleep‘ options. Unfortunately, they’re faux buttons.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Cool DVD menus Mainme10

Cool DVD menus Menu10

I dont notice menus too often, though I love the ones for the DVDs of IN A LONELY PLACE and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. In addition, the REBEL one has a marvellous part of the soundtrack playing over it. :)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Quote :
I dont notice menus too often, though I love the ones for the DVDs of IN A LONELY PLACE and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. In addition, the REBEL one has a marvellous part of the soundtrack playing over it.

Yeah the best DVD/Bluray menus are those with relatively simple graphics, and a good choice of music from the score/sountrack. They tend to date much less than those with too much going on. i.e., I have a ALIEN disc from the early 00s, that looks like a PS1 video game menu.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 7:15 pm

The days of the cool DVD menus seem to be behind us. I remember being wowed by the DVD menu to the original DVD release of STAR TREK: NEMESIS -- it was basically the best thing about the movie. But now DVD menus are getting cheaper and cheaper and most Blu-Rays don't even have what I would call proper menus. The INCEPTION DVD menu is a joke, looks like a bootleg. The SCOTT PILGRIM DVD menus were ok.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
The INCEPTION DVD menu is a joke, looks like a bootleg.

Is it true it doesn't have a scene selection?

I really hate the way most studios are treating DVDs now. For example the new Harry Potter DVD came out yesterday so I was considering getting that. I only wanted the DVD though, not blu-ray. I have all the other flicks on DVD and for consistency sake would just continue with that format for the remaining entries. All of the DVDs 1-6 have had shared the same special features that you would find on blu-ray. Not this time. The DVD for Deathly Hallows only has Addional Scenes as a special feature. Nothing else. All the rest of the features are on the blu-ray.

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK! I was afraid it would one day come to this. For the past five years both formats shared the same features while blu-ray would have extra bits only because the DVD format might not support it such as internet connection for blu-ray live. But now they're pullng this dick move as a way to have consumers convert to the new format. I hear even the transfer is unacceptable (too dark and pixelated), likely intentionally done so as to make blu-ray the only presentable option. How sad is that when a DVD made in 1999 like THE MATRIX has more going for it than a film that just came out recently?

Bullshit Warner Bros, bullshit.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Sharky wrote:
Quote :
I dont notice menus too often, though I love the ones for the DVDs of IN A LONELY PLACE and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. In addition, the REBEL one has a marvellous part of the soundtrack playing over it.

Yeah the best DVD/Bluray menus are those with relatively simple graphics, and a good choice of music from the score/sountrack. They tend to date much less than those with too much going on. i.e., I have a ALIEN disc from the early 00s, that looks like a PS1 video game menu.

The R1 Quadrilogy menus are okay, but I have the older ALIEN one too and it's rather "meh".

Just as with DVD covers, I like the menus with the original poster art. And I like simple menus without much in the way of animation. I've got my RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY DVD sitting around as I plan to rewatch it one of these days soon, and it's got a nice, simple menu that plays the nice main theme from the film. RIO BRAVO does the same, as do most of the WB R1 DVDs.

The original CHINATOWN DVD had a nice menu. That one comes to mind.

And the STAR TREK: TOS DVD sets have really cool menus.

The special edition of BULLITT.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Yeah, they've been doing a lot of that lately -- intentionally bad DVD transfers, lackluster special features, etc. to make people switch over.

And yes, the INCEPTION dvd lacks a scene select menu.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
.And yes, the INCEPTION dvd lacks a scene select menu.

It was probably designed by Armond White.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 12:07 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Yeah, they've been doing a lot of that lately -- intentionally bad DVD transfers, lackluster special features, etc. to make people switch over.
Well, the Blu-Ray format hasn't taken off. It was gaining momentum just as the economy took a nose dive, and it was never something that the majority of individuals were going to be super interested in, and many of the flagship titles that might stir up interest aren't available yet. Moves like stripping DVD releases of special features and the like aren't going to make Blu-Ray any more successful, either. It's been mismanaged from the start.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 12:12 am

It's really underhanded.

Still, I hope to upgrade in the coming months. I may have a job very soon. Finally! I can start saving up, and I can invest in a widescreen TV and Blu-ray player.

Cuz I don't have any worthwhile TV of my own at the moment and I my DVD player broke. laugh So I'm left running my laptop into the ground.

Sorry for being off topic. I'll send my self a warning.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 am

The Blu-ray industry is actually doing just fine considering the economy. I believe I read it's growing faster than DVD did at the same point in its life cycle. Prices are falling like they do with any new technology and HDTV continues to saturate the market. Blu-ray will be around for a while.

But regardless, I don't pay much attention to menus these days. By the time I get to the menu, I'm so frustrated from having to wade through all the trailers and ads that I start the film as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cool DVD menus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool DVD menus   Cool DVD menus Empty

Back to top Go down

Cool DVD menus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: