More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? Empty
PostSubject: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 10:35 pm

SPOILERS.

In the movie Bond lies to Kara and says that he is a good friend of Koskov's and they go back a long while, and that Koskov is being proteced by MI6 and is safe.

However, it seems me that it doesn't make the most sense for Bond to lie, and maybe they just had it this way for dramatic effect, for later.

It seems to me, that if he told Kara the truth, that he helped Koskov defect and that he was recaptured and not in safe hands, that that would still compel her just as much, to go with Bond, even more so, if he knew he was in unsafe hands, even.

So do you think Bond had an actual reason to lie about it?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 11:00 pm

If he told her the truth, he'd need to mention that Koskov wanted Bond to kill her in the process. Why would she want to go back and see him?

Also, you don't need to worry about noting 'spoilers' for a film over 30 years old in a forum dedicated to such a film.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 3:36 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
If he told her the truth, he'd need to mention that Koskov wanted Bond to kill her in the process. Why would she want to go back and see him?

Also, you don't need to worry about noting 'spoilers' for a film over 30 years old in a forum dedicated to such a film.

I don't consider the original poster's question a plot hole. And even if it were, certainly none that couldn't have been rationalized.

I think a more interesting question would be: why didn't Necros realize that with Kara still being alive, Bond was duping Koskov? I mean, he did see them at the Prater Cafe together, no? Otherwise you have to assume Koskov never told Necros or Whitaker how he intended to defect, only that he was going to. It seems somewhat unlikely that Koskov wouldn't tell the other two he was using Kara to fake his defection. She knew enough about Whitaker to call him when she got to Tangier.

I would've liked more Whitaker, by the way. He's universally loathed by Bond fandom, but not only did I find him interesting, I also found his appearance too brief. Can't figure out why he wasn't on the trip to Afghanistan. They could still have had the final sequence in Tangier.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned maybe Bond doesn't have to tell Kara the whole truth, such as Koskov tricking him into shooting her, but it seems like he could have told the rest, cause then he wouldn't have to keep changing his story as much.

As for Necros realizing Kara was still alive, did Necros actually see Kara there at the amusement park? I thought he just saw Bond meeting Saunders and that was it.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned maybe Bond doesn't have to tell Kara the whole truth, such as Koskov tricking him into shooting her, but it seems like he could have told the rest, cause then he wouldn't have to keep changing his story as much.

As for Necros realizing Kara was still alive, did Necros actually see Kara there at the amusement park? I thought he just saw Bond meeting Saunders and that was it.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 4:18 am

I think it's due to Bond not knowing how much Kara knows or what lies Koskov fed her. Since she is the only link he must be cautious in what he says to her-and since she is obviously not at all in this world he must keep it simplistic and believable enough to convince her it is Koskov's doing.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 10:22 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:

I don't consider the original poster's question a plot hole. And even if it were, certainly none that couldn't have been rationalized.

I think a more interesting question would be: why didn't Necros realize that with Kara still being alive, Bond was duping Koskov? I mean, he did see them at the Prater Cafe together, no? Otherwise you have to assume Koskov never told Necros or Whitaker how he intended to defect, only that he was going to. It seems somewhat unlikely that Koskov wouldn't tell the other two he was using Kara to fake his defection. She knew enough about Whitaker to call him when she got to Tangier.

I would've liked more Whitaker, by the way. He's universally loathed by Bond fandom, but not only did I find him interesting, I also found his appearance too brief. Can't figure out why he wasn't on the trip to Afghanistan. They could still have had the final sequence in Tangier.

I don't think it's a plot hole either.

I don't recall Necros seeing Bond and Kara together at the cafe, but even so, I'm sure this could be rationalised too. And considering Bond's approach to Kara and keeping her in the dark, it speaks volumes of Koskov's intelligence by not bumping her off, using her love and naivety to his advantage until she's no longer needed.

I've come to really appreciate Whitaker also. The wax figures of himself dressed as the world's butchers/surgeons is positively bizarre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?   Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Bond to tell Kara the truth in this case?
Page 1 of 1